Kiper's newest mock

Coach Tuesday

We can't listen to anything Kiper says about O-linemen, remember last year when he was adamant that Cordy Glenn couldn't play tackle and that the Bills reached for him?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck. It's mostly concrete.

LMAO.. that's funny.

I could see him out there with a can of lighter fluid trying to keep the Ralph lit

there a too many solid play makers to be had at #8. We have plenty of young G's on the roster. No chance of this happening

Edited by shibuya

OR, maybe he is incompetent.

OR his assessments and values for players differ than those of other NFL scouts.

There has to be a reason he is on TV and not employed as an actual professional scout/talent evaluator/GM.

Why the hell would he want to be a pro scout/talent evaluator/GM? He's got one of the sweetest jobs going. Not only is he probably making more than those guys he's not responsible for any of his "picks." A GM has to live with the consequences of his picks and if he fails he gets shown the door. As soon as this years draft is over Kiper is getting ready for 2014 and everything he just said is no longer relevant.

I would be very unhappy if the Bills select a guard at 8 with so many other glaring needs that need to be addressed.

Serviceable guards are fairly easy to find. Now, if we were a superbowl contending team and our only open starting spot was at G, then this pick would be great. We don't have the luxury of wasting a top 10 pick on a G. WR or LB at 8, please. I'd even settle for the Top TE, but please no OG.

All pro guards are not easy to find and can make a huge difference for that O line. See Ruben Brown!

The Bills want to build a power running game for whatever QB they settle on and right now that line is still unstable with Levitre gone and Woods always ending the season on IR. I'd rather see them draft one of the top 3 OT's, but I wouldn't be upset if it were a Alabama OG like Chance Warmack. Who BTW is graded as the best player in this years draft by NFL.com and Mike Mayock.

And this illustrates the problem with the Bills, they are always running in place. With the # 8 pick they take a guard to replace a very good guard they let go (Levitre). Even if this guy is a good pick, it's unlikely he will be as good (and as durable) as Levitre, at least in his first two years. So your #1 pick doesn't really improve your team at all; you are just running in place.

That's not to say the Bills should have matched the mega contract the Titans gave Levitre. The Bills should have extended Levitre in year 2 or 3, when it was apparent that he was a solid player. But to finally make a good draft choice (Levitre), live through his growing pains and then lose him after just 4 years as he enters the prime of his career illustrates just how bad this front office is, and why it has been so long since we made the playoffs.

I agree 100% Front office screwed up 2 years ago and should an gotten an extension

I would bet almost anything that the Bills will not take Cooper at #8.
Well you win the prize for getting closest to another interesting facet of Kiper's mock draft:

He has Cooper ranked higher than Warmack.

For those without ESPN Insider (I purchased it 5 years ago and I still have it for free for some reason), Kiper has Cooper ranked as the 7th best player in this draft and Warmack as the 12th best.

Today, on the 6:00 PM edition of 'Path To The Draft' (NFL Network), Charles Davis' mock draft had Cooper going to the Bills. I just don't see it happening. FWIW, no QBs had been" taken" at that point.

As for absolutes on the best WR and QB, it's just my opinion. This place would be boring if everyone rode the fence on what they thought of who the best players were going to be, don't you think so?

I have no problem with your opinion or anyone else's on this subject for that matter. You're right, it would be pretty boring if we all agreed...although not nearly as contentious. ^_^ That said, your original post stated, "As for the draft...IMO, the Bills will draft Cordarelle Patterson at #8 and Matt Scott at #41. The best WR and the best QB in this class." It was your opinion in the first sentence that the Bills will draft Patterson & Scott. Cool, no problem. You stated in your next sentence as absolute that Patterson & Scott were the best at their respective positions. Big difference. If you meant to say that it was also your opinion that Patterson & Scott were the best, then okay. If that's the case, I couldn't determine that from your poor sentence structure. ;)

Mayock never said Newton was going to be a bust...You're over-exaggerating...He did like Gabbert slightly more...He felt Newton was raw and that it would take time for him to pick-up the NFL Game...There were things about Newton Mayock loved...And I'm pretty certain he never used the word bust...

No offense...But Mike Mayock is a million times more qualified to Scout QB's than you or I...He just is...He also has connections in the Scouting and Coaching world that you and I could not even imagine having...He's not going to be right every time...And you and I will not be wrong every time...But come on... B-)

This. Besides, in an "all things being equal" scenario, Mayock probably gets a helluva lot more right than he gets wrong. But the potential of the player is only part of the equation - you also have another huge variable in the situation the players are drafted into. Player "A" may perform exactly as Mayock expected if drafted by one team, but maybe in another situation he encounters an environment that prevents him from reaching his potential.

We can't listen to anything Kiper says about O-linemen, remember last year when he was adamant that Cordy Glenn couldn't play tackle and that the Bills reached for him?

I caught that too...and even later when he graded each team's draft I think he still was saying the jury was still out on Glenn. I have seen a lot of rookie left tackles come in and be brought along slowly only to fail miserably. Cordy was thrown right in and did very well.

At first glance he does look like your prototypical guard, but he plays with good bend and leverage, has long arms, and most importantly has surprisingly great footwork. The good news is that I think we have not seen his best yet, as I believe there is still areas of his game he is growing into. If he can stay clear of the injury bug I think our scouts earned a solid grade.

Mel needs to get over himself,