Just some thoughts.......

Just a few comments on things happening in the NFL.....

First off I'd like to mention that it was really great to hear that Brian Banks was signed to the Falcons' roster today. What a great individual on and off the field, that's someone that I truly admire as a person. Speaking of Banks' ordeal I'd like to give a big shout out to Jay Glazer. I never really thought much of him but after what I read about him today I'm quickly changing my opinion of him. Once he heard about Banks and his circumstances he made it his business to personally help him get a second chance in life. Nice job Jay, you're quite a guy yourself.

As the draft approaches teams are posturing more and more. The flavor of the week now is the few OL that are ranked towards the top of the draft. I sure hope that this benefits Buffalo in a big way and I think that it will. Miami in particular is rumored to be looking for Jake Long's replacement and they are picking at #12. That's a bit too late for them to have a shot at a quality starter so expect them to try and leapfrog a few teams to secure one of the big 3 OTs (Luke Joeckel, Eric Fisher and Lane Johnson). Here's a scenario that could very well play out.

1. Luke Joeckel-Kansas City

2. Geno Smith-Jacksonville

3. Sharrif Floyd-Oakland

4. Star Lotulelei-Philadelphia

5. Eric Fisher-Detroit

6. Cleveland trades down with Miami and they select Lane Johnson

7. Chance Warmack-Arizona

That leaves Ezekiel Ansah, Dion Jordan, Dee Milliner and Cordarrelle Patterson for Buffalo to choose from. I'd be happy with any of the defensive players at #8 but would rather see Buffalo trade down before they chose Patterson this high. Someone said in an earlier post about FA WR Ramses Barden and I would definitely be on board for Buffalo to pick him up, he'd be a great compliment for Stevie.

Speaking of Dion Jordan in an earlier news blurp the Patriots had him in for a draft visit. They have no shot at him unless of course they traded up. The only problem with this is they don't have enough picks to do it. So what's up with this? Is there someone that they are willing to trade? That's about the only way that they could get into a high enough position to draft Jordan.Who knows.

I looked at the rosters of each team and outside of a handful of big names at the TE position there really isn't anyone that stands out. Buffalo is in dire need of TEs and in an earlier post I mocked us taking Zach Ertz in the 2nd rd. Well, I'd like to mention someone for in the later rounds if that weren't to happen. Pitt's WR Mike Shanahan would be a natural for a pass catching TE in my opinion. While I'm on the subject of later round draft prospects I'd like to mention Howie Long's kid Kyle for an OL. While he plays G as of now he is projected to be a LT. Either way the guy is huge, has a vicious punch and a flat out nasty demeanor. I'd love to see us have a bad ass OL with an attitude. Here's a link to a little of his background. Admittedly I don't know much about him or college players but I sure liked this article. http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/shutdown-50-oregon-ol-kyle-long-173130290--nfl.html. I hope that you enjoy it as much as I did.

I'd like to post some more but I guess that this is long enough. I got blasted for that on my last post so I'm a little gun shy but I thought that I'd give it another shot.

I'd say in this scenario we take a long look at Milliner and Ansah. Though I don't see a guy with Ansah's measureables sticking around too long. Dion Jordan is interesting, but I think that'd be redundant with us bringing in the rangey Manny Lawson already.

Ideally, I'd prefer offense here. We've gotta add some skill in a big way. Keenan Allen and Tavon Austin are the two guys I'd look at on O. I'd prefer Allen of the two. He could be the true #1 we've been seeking. He would be my pick, personally, even if it fell so nicely to us.

Put this in the college mock draft section but didn't get any feedback but since you mentioned Kyle Long I'd like to see if this is a draft you'd like-

My draft using the drafttek big board - Basic premises 1. Bills in total rebuilding mode, 2. gambling on upside 3. go big first 4. looking for size at WR

1. Ezekiel Ansah DE- physically comparable to Aldon Smith and Jason Pierre-Paul- will probably need a year of NFL coaching and strength training but then a very good all-round DE

2.Terron Armstead OT/OG- Athletic enough to be a TE or 3-4 DE

3. Kyle Long OT/OG- Howie's son, Chris's brother both say Kyle is the best Athlete in the family

4. Da'Rick Rogers WR- legitimate tough guy at WR, ( think Anquan Boldin) talent to be an early 2nd but some off field issues makes him available at 4th round

5. Marcus Davis WR- another jumbo size WR 6,3 233lbs

6. Sanders Commings CB- big CB 6,0 216lbs, drafted late round MLB outfielder, best position could be safety or nickle LB

The second round pick is the toughest for me - Justin Hunter WR, the center from Alabama, some of the or DTs or QBs it's a hard choice

Put this in the college mock draft section but didn't get any feedback but since you mentioned Kyle Long I'd like to see if this is a draft you'd like-

My draft using the drafttek big board - Basic premises 1. Bills in total rebuilding mode, 2. gambling on upside 3. go big first 4. looking for size at WR

1. Ezekiel Ansah DE- physically comparable to Aldon Smith and Jason Pierre-Paul- will probably need a year of NFL coaching and strength training but then a very good all-round DE

2.Terron Armstead OT/OG- Athletic enough to be a TE or 3-4 DE

3. Kyle Long OT/OG- Howie's son, Chris's brother both say Kyle is the best Athlete in the family

4. Da'Rick Rogers WR- legitimate tough guy at WR, ( think Anquan Boldin) talent to be an early 2nd but some off field issues makes him available at 4th round

5. Marcus Davis WR- another jumbo size WR 6,3 233lbs

6. Sanders Commings CB- big CB 6,0 216lbs, drafted late round MLB outfielder, best position could be safety or nickle LB

The second round pick is the toughest for me - Justin Hunter WR, the center from Alabama, some of the or DTs or QBs it's a hard choice

Wow, you gave me a lot to think about! I have to research more than half of the players but I definitely like the idea of a WR that's comparable to a Anquan Boldin, I always admire him and Hines Ward's style of play. Thanks for your input.

First off I'd like to mention that it was really great to hear that Brian Banks was signed to the Falcons' roster today. What a great individual on and off the field, that's someone that I truly admire as a person. Speaking of Banks' ordeal I'd like to give a big shout out to Jay Glazer. I never really thought much of him but after what I read about him today I'm quickly changing my opinion of him. Once he heard about Banks and his circumstances he made it his business to personally help him get a second chance in life. Nice job Jay, you're quite a guy yourself.

As the draft approaches teams are posturing more and more. The flavor of the week now is the few OL that are ranked towards the top of the draft. I sure hope that this benefits Buffalo in a big way and I think that it will. Miami in particular is rumored to be looking for Jake Long's replacement and they are picking at #12. That's a bit too late for them to have a shot at a quality starter so expect them to try and leapfrog a few teams to secure one of the big 3 OTs (Luke Joeckel, Eric Fisher and Lane Johnson). Here's a scenario that could very well play out.

3. Sharrif Floyd-Oakland

5. Eric Fisher-Detroit

That leaves Ezekiel Ansah, Dion Jordan, Dee Milliner and Cordarrelle Patterson for Buffalo to choose from. I'd be happy with any of the defensive players at #8 but would rather see Buffalo trade down before they chose Patterson this high. Someone said in an earlier post about FA WR Ramses Barden and I would definitely be on board for Buffalo to pick him up, he'd be a great compliment for Stevie.

Speaking of Dion Jordan in an earlier news blurp the Patriots had him in for a draft visit. They have no shot at him unless of course they traded up. The only problem with this is they don't have enough picks to do it. So what's up with this? Is there someone that they are willing to trade? That's about the only way that they could get into a high enough position to draft Jordan.Who knows.

I looked at the rosters of each team and outside of a handful of big names at the TE position there really isn't anyone that stands out. Buffalo is in dire need of TEs and in an earlier post I mocked us taking Zach Ertz in the 2nd rd. Well, I'd like to mention someone for in the later rounds if that weren't to happen. Pitt's WR Mike Shanahan would be a natural for a pass catching TE in my opinion. While I'm on the subject of later round draft prospects I'd like to mention Howie Long's kid Kyle for an OL. While he plays G as of now he is projected to be a LT. Either way the guy is huge, has a vicious punch and a flat out nasty demeanor. I'd love to see us have a bad ass OL with an attitude. Here's a link to a little of his background. Admittedly I don't know much about him or college players but I sure liked this article. http://sports.yahoo....30290--nfl.html. I hope that you enjoy it as much as I did.

I'd like to post some more but I guess that this is long enough. I got blasted for that on my last post so I'm a little gun shy but I thought that I'd give it another shot.

If Milner is available, the Bills will take him. They can get their OLB and WR in Rd 3 and 4. Of course, I don't mind if they trade down for further picks.

3. Sharrif Floyd-Oakland

5. Eric Fisher-Detroit

I looked at the rosters of each team and outside of a handful of big names at the TE position there really isn't anyone that stands out. Buffalo is in dire need of TEs and in an earlier post I mocked us taking Zach Ertz in the 2nd rd. Well, I'd like to mention someone for in the later rounds if that weren't to happen. Pitt's WR Mike Shanahan would be a natural for a pass catching TE in my opinion. While I'm on the subject of later round draft prospects I'd like to mention Howie Long's kid Kyle for an OL. While he plays G as of now he is projected to be a LT. Either way the guy is huge, has a vicious punch and a flat out nasty demeanor. I'd love to see us have a bad ass OL with an attitude. Here's a link to a little of his background. Admittedly I don't know much about him or college players but I sure liked this article. http://sports.yahoo....30290--nfl.html. I hope that you enjoy it as much as I did.

Great work by the way, thanks!

If this is the way things play-out, I would favor trading down (if a dance partner can be found) for two 1st and/or 2nd round picks. I don't see any great player here--all good, but all need time--I don't think there is much drop from there into the early 2nd round, and if you can come away with 3 1st and/or 2nd round picks (one being a future QB), it would be a very good draft--on paper.

3. Sharrif Floyd-Oakland

5. Eric Fisher-Detroit

Nice post...here are my thoughts on your...thoughts:

- I can't see Star going No. 4 to Philly. It has zero to do with player quality or health issues...I just don't see them spending a No. 4 pick on a DT after drafting Fletcher Cox last year and trading for Clifton Geathers & signing Isaac Sopoaga this year...investing a top 5 pick in the same position is throwing a LOT of resources at a not-too critical area of need.

- I don't see any way that Dion Jordan makes it out of the top 6...if he does, however, I think Buffalo would (and should) pounce on him. He's a rare talent; a guy that can play OLB in either a 43 or 34 alignment, as well as give you snaps as a DE in obvious passing situations. He also has added value as an athletic guy that can cover big TEs like Gronk and Hernandez.

- Cleveland is a prime candidate to move out of that pick if a team wants either Milliner or Johnson. I think the most likely movers are San Diego & New Orleans (for Johnson). If Miami moves up, I think it would be for Milliner, as they're more in the market for a RT, where 2012 2nd rounder Jonathan Martin is a poor fit, and needs to move to the left side.

Just some musings...

Nice post...here are my thoughts on your...thoughts:

- I can't see Star going No. 4 to Philly. It has zero to do with player quality or health issues...I just don't see them spending a No. 4 pick on a DT after drafting Fletcher Cox last year and trading for Clifton Geathers & signing Isaac Sopoaga this year...investing a top 5 pick in the same position is throwing a LOT of resources at a not-too critical area of need.

- I don't see any way that Dion Jordan makes it out of the top 6...if he does, however, I think Buffalo would (and should) pounce on him. He's a rare talent; a guy that can play OLB in either a 43 or 34 alignment, as well as give you snaps as a DE in obvious passing situations. He also has added value as an athletic guy that can cover big TEs like Gronk and Hernandez.

- Cleveland is a prime candidate to move out of that pick if a team wants either Milliner or Johnson. I think the most likely movers are San Diego & New Orleans (for Johnson). If Miami moves up, I think it would be for Milliner, as they're more in the market for a RT, where 2012 2nd rounder Jonathan Martin is a poor fit, and needs to move to the left side.

Just some musings...

I would not disagree with this thinking, especially about Jordan. Star and Jordan could very well be switched in my scenario in which case Ezekiel Ansah, possibly Milliner, would hold more value for us in my opinion. Either way it wouldn't be a hateful draft for us. Btw, I heard that Jordan is working out like he's a 5th rd pick. I'd love for the Bills to get him. Thanks for the input.

I, for one, believe this is a perfect year to trade down (Wanted: Trade Partner). I'm thinking St. Louis, Minnesota (2 1st rounders each) or San Fran (too many picks to know what to do with). That being said, I have no problem selecting BPA at a position of need, in the 20's or @ 31.

My thoughts, however naive or unprofessional they may be...

KOLB IS NOT THE ANSWER, we all know that. If we don't take Barkley/Smith in the 1st, we won't have a shot at them with the teams that select b4 us in the 2nd. Jax, Oak, NYJ, Philly could all be players for a QB in the first 2 rounds. I, for one, am a fan of these two and I wouldn't want any other QB accept Jones in the 5th or 6th (if we're desperate).

I am very confused as to why Patterson is getting so much more love than his more productive, equally talented and athletic, taller, just as fast teammate Justin Hunter. Fine with me if he slips out of the "top 3-5" WR's.

This post could go on forever, so I'll just sum up with a mock (no Idea if I overvalued the trade back with SF, but both 2nd's and 1 of their 3rds seems fair to me):

Rd 1, pick 31 (San Fran) - Matt Barkley, QB, USC

Rd 2, pick 34 (San Fran) - Justin Hunter, WR, Tenn

Rd 2, pick 41 - Kevin Minter, ILB, LSU

Rd 2, pick 61 (San Fran) - Vance McDonald, TE, Rice

Rd 3, pick 71 - Brian Schwenke, C, Cal

Rd 3, pick 74 (San Fran) - Brandon Williams, DT/NT, Mizzu Southern

Rd 4, pick 105 - Tyrann Mathieu, CB, *LSU

Rd 5, pick 143 - Sanders Commings, CB/S, GA

Rd 6, pick 177 - Dustin Hopkins, K, Fl St

I, for one, believe this is a perfect year to trade down (Wanted: Trade Partner). I'm thinking St. Louis, Minnesota (2 1st rounders each) or San Fran (too many picks to know what to do with). That being said, I have no problem selecting BPA at a position of need, in the 20's or @ 31.

My thoughts, however naive or unprofessional they may be...

KOLB IS NOT THE ANSWER, we all know that. If we don't take Barkley/Smith in the 1st, we won't have a shot at them with the teams that select b4 us in the 2nd. Jax, Oak, NYJ, Philly could all be players for a QB in the first 2 rounds. I, for one, am a fan of these two and I wouldn't want any other QB accept Jones in the 5th or 6th (if we're desperate).

I am very confused as to why Patterson is getting so much more love than his more productive, equally talented and athletic, taller, just as fast teammate Justin Hunter. Fine with me if he slips out of the "top 3-5" WR's.

This post could go on forever, so I'll just sum up with a mock (no Idea if I overvalued the trade back with SF, but both 2nd's and 1 of their 3rds seems fair to me):

Rd 1, pick 31 (San Fran) - Matt Barkley, QB, USC

Rd 2, pick 34 (San Fran) - Justin Hunter, WR, Tenn

Rd 2, pick 41 - Kevin Minter, ILB, LSU

Rd 2, pick 61 (San Fran) - Vance McDonald, TE, Rice

Rd 3, pick 71 - Brian Schwenke, C, Cal

Rd 3, pick 74 (San Fran) - Brandon Williams, DT/NT, Mizzu Southern

Rd 4, pick 105 - Tyrann Mathieu, CB, *LSU

Rd 5, pick 143 - Sanders Commings, CB/S, GA

Rd 6, pick 177 - Dustin Hopkins, K, Fl St

No offense, but this is a pipe dream.

I really don't see any players at the 8th pick that a team would give up two 1s or even two 2s to move up and get...the draft just isn't that top heavy this year.

The best Buffalo can hope for in a trade down scenario is that Lane Johnson or Dee Milliner slip through the cracks, and someone in the 12-15 range is willing to give up a 3rd rounder to move up and get them.

The best Buffalo can hope for in a trade down scenario is that Lane Johnson or Dee Milliner slip through the cracks, and someone in the 12-15 range is willing to give up a 3rd rounder to move up and get them.

With all due respect but if this were to happen it would cost at least a 2nd rder in this year's draft and possibly a future pick (4th-6th rder?) in the 2014 draft. In which case I'd be all for, we could really address some needs (Patterson?).

With all due respect but if this were to happen it would cost at least a 2nd rder in this year's draft and possibly a future pick (4th-6th rder?) in the 2014 draft. In which case I'd be all for, we could really address some needs (Patterson?).

Maybe...it's close I think. Last year, Dallas moved from No. 14 to No. 6 by giving up a 2nd rounder. A move from, say 12 to 8 (i.e. Miami moving up for Milliner) would probably get done for a 3rd rounder. If it were, say, New Orleans moving up for Lane Johnson, then you might be talking a 2nd rounder, but they don't have one to give up.

3. Sharrif Floyd-Oakland

5. Eric Fisher-Detroit

I think your first seven picks are spot on.

No offense, but this is a pipe dream...I really don't see any players at the 8th pick...

No offense taken. Probably is a pipe dream, but that's why we're fan board posters and not NFL staff. Also, no offense, but you have no idea how any team in this league perceives any player in this draft...just think how Al Davis nearly spilled some baby batter over DHB, Aaron Maybin, et al.

San Fran doesn't have many glaring weak spots and they can afford to move up and around this year to go ahead and grab anyone them may choose, especially with the talent on the DL and def backfield this year.

No offense taken. Probably is a pipe dream, but that's why we're fan board posters and not NFL staff. Also, no offense, but you have no idea how any team in this league perceives any player in this draft...just think how Al Davis nearly spilled some baby batter over DHB, Aaron Maybin, et al.

In the interest of full disclosure, I actually do have contacts in the NFL scouting community, so I have an inkling as to what at least a few teams are thinking...not that it should mean much, just letting you know that I'm not sharing from a purely presumptive stance.

San Fran doesn't have many glaring weak spots and they can afford to move up and around this year to go ahead and grab anyone them may choose, especially with the talent on the DL and def backfield this year.

Very true...I just can't see them giving up multiple 2nd round picks to do so...I'd find it much more likely that they'd give up a 3rd rounder plus multiple late-round picks to move up in round 2 or at the end of round 1.

In the interest of full disclosure, I actually do have contacts in the NFL scouting community, so I have an inkling as to what at least a few teams are thinking...not that it should mean much, just letting you know that I'm not sharing from a purely presumptive stance.

Very true...I just can't see them giving up multiple 2nd round picks to do so...I'd find it much more likely that they'd give up a 3rd rounder plus multiple late-round picks to move up in round 2 or at the end of round 1.

Your points are well taken, and appreciated...

I'll take your word for it, but so do I...including an individual, newly hired into a position with much more clout than the scouting dpt., who is a close family friend and if you don't subscribe to the school of thought that "99% of what teams say, prior to the draft, is absolute BS," then you are much more well informed than I.

Also, I'm just saying it would be a big jump to only garner 1 rd 2 or multiple later rd selections. My point, referencing San Fran, was that they are a very strong team who aren't going to wait and try to grab the sleepers in the later rounds, they will go after the studs to add to their arsenal.

Just sayn'.

Just wanted to give an update on Star Lotulelei's health condition. I don't think that we would consider another DT at the #8 spot but a team like Carolina might be tempted to move up.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/01/star-lotulelei-gets-positive-reports-from-recent-heart-test/

Any input on this situation is appreciated.

If Milner is available, the Bills will take him.

I don't think so my friend. I am an Alabama fan for decades and make no mistake, Milliner is good. Far better than Gilmore, and I could see the Bills doing something this stupid, but not this year.

Imo, it doesn't matter at all that Milliner is "good." Building a team around defensive backs is idiotic. It's a sure fire ticket to losing football games, which the Bills have proven for oh so many years. Plus, at this point the Bills will focus on selling tickets.

Say hello to Ryan Nassib, the Bills pick at #8.

I don't think so my friend. I am an Alabama fan for decades and make no mistake, Milliner is good. Far better than Gilmore, and I could see the Bills doing something this stupid, but not this year.

Imo, it doesn't matter at all that Milliner is "good." Building a team around defensive backs is idiotic. It's a sure fire ticket to losing football games, which the Bills have proven for oh so many years. Plus, at this point the Bills will focus on selling tickets.

Say hello to Ryan Nassib, the Bills pick at #8.

I just don't know if Nassib will be the pick @ 8 Bill. If Kolb were not to sign, I could see the panic in the Bills front office. If Kolb is indeed in the fold, I definitely can see the Bills waiting out until Rd 2 to pick up their QB of choice. I agree that the Bills have spent far too many 1st rd picks on DBs...But they may be inclined to pick one more as the Best Player Available on the board. The bills have shown over the past 13 years that they can sell tickets no matter what crap they put on the field.

If they really wanted Nassib they would pick him with the #8 with or without Kolb. Do I want another CB? No, not really, it's not a sexy enough of a pick but for good, sound football I could accept and understand that pick. What I really hope for is either Dion Jordan or one of the premiere LTs with the #8 pick or a trade down so we can have extra picks in the draft. Unfortunately I don't believe Jordan falls to us and LT is probably not a priority for our front office so it's probably down to either Dee Milliner, Ezekiel Ansah or Star Lotulelei or a trade down. If that is the case my question is what would the fans want in that kind of a scenario?