Mysterious Booms Plaguing the United States

There have been Military "Oil burner" routes over that part of the country for 60 years. Used to be more activity when Pease & Plattsburg AFB were open.

Some of it might be rolling thunder echoing between the mountains and hill, reflecting off the lake surfaces.

But what I saw ("with my OWN EYES" - like I could see with anyone else's) looked like three of these guys

There have been Military "Oil burner" routes over that part of the country for 60 years. Used to be more activity when Pease & Plattsburg AFB were open.

We used to hear them all the time when I was a kid growing up in WNY.

Some of it might be rolling thunder echoing between the mountains and hill, reflecting off the lake surfaces.

But what I saw ("with my OWN EYES" - like I could see with anyone else's) looked like three of these guys

That's some crazy **** right there.

We used to hear them all the time when I was a kid growing up in WNY.

I've heard plenty of sonic booms before as well as military training up close and from afar. I haven't heard any of the mysterious booms myself, so I am only going off second hand accounts, but the witnesses I've talked to say these booms are nothing like the ones they've all grown up hearing. The reports are of localized "booms", sensed by their dogs before anyone else (like seismic activity), and loud enough to rattle bookshelves, windows and picture frames.

I've heard plenty of sonic booms before as well as military training up close and from afar. I haven't heard any of the mysterious booms myself, so I am only going off second hand accounts, but the witnesses I've talked to say these booms are nothing like the ones they've all grown up hearing. The reports are of localized "booms", sensed by their dogs before anyone else (like seismic activity), and loud enough to rattle bookshelves, windows and picture frames.

Have you checked out the term: Mistpouffers?

Supposedly, they are heard all over the world... Going back centuries and what not. Famous one was on the Adriatic in 1824. Of course they couldn't be sonic booms back then. Here is a link that attempts to explain what they are:

http://hengruh.livejournal.com/155846.html

Supposedly, the reason they are heard near water is that those areas are usually quieter than inland communities...

Well, if you put all the clues together, it's kind of obvious. People grew up hearing sonic booms caused by aircraft above them. Because people are generally taller than dogs, and dogs don't climb trees but people do, the sound always reaches human ears first. Upon hearing the boom, all the humans look up, and since their dogs aren't in the surrounding trees, the humans ALWAYS totally miss their dogs' reaction to the noise.

But just suppose (WINK) there are a series of super-secret underground DARPA-sponsored small Hadron colliders scattered around the country to make them impervious to a first strike by the North Koeans. And let's say that one of those colliders happens to be in the general vicinity of your schnauzer. If you're gonna modify a god particle for military purposes, ya gotta smash small stuff together at incredible speeds, so the "boom" is a given. But since the speedy little suckers are all underground, the boom propagates UPWARDS. Guess whose ears hear the boom first? And by the time the humans hear the boom and look down (even if they are in trees), the dogs have already heard the boom and started to react. So humans always see dogs react to god particle modification booms, but never see dogs react to sonic aircraft booms. It just SEEMS weird.

And since ground is less homogenous than air or milk, you get localized noise from the god particle modification booms with occasional acoustic dead spots (think noise cancellation headphones), whereas aircraft sonic booms spread more uniformly radially outbound and down.

Well, if you put all the clues together, it's kind of obvious. People grew up hearing sonic booms caused by aircraft above them. Because people are generally taller than dogs, and dogs don't climb trees but people do, the sound always reaches human ears first. Upon hearing the boom, all the humans look up, and since their dogs aren't in the surrounding trees, the humans ALWAYS totally miss their dogs' reaction to the noise.

But just suppose (WINK) there are a series of super-secret underground DARPA-sponsored small Hadron colliders scattered around the country to make them impervious to a first strike by the North Koeans. And let's say that one of those colliders happens to be in the general vicinity of your schnauzer. If you're gonna modify a god particle for military purposes, ya gotta smash small stuff together at incredible speeds, so the "boom" is a given. But since the speedy little suckers are all underground, the boom propagates UPWARDS. Guess whose ears hear the boom first? And by the time the humans hear the boom and look down (even if they are in trees), the dogs have already heard the boom and started to react. So humans always see dogs react to god particle modification booms, but never see dogs react to sonic aircraft booms. It just SEEMS weird.

And since ground is less homogenous than air or milk, you get localized noise from the god particle modification booms with occasional acoustic dead spots (think noise cancellation headphones), whereas aircraft sonic booms spread more uniformly radially outbound and down.

LoL... Interesting take, good observation to explain modern times.

What is your Cliff Notes version for sound events that happened in say 1824. ;-) :-P

LoL... Interesting take, good observation to explain modern times.

What is your Cliff Notes version for sound events that happened in say 1824. ;-) :-P

This may come as a shock to you, but unlike dogs, people sometimes just make stuff up. The "Roaring Twenties" were a myth. It has been well documented that they didn't actually make any noise, and Italian fishermen back then weren't any more honest about it than anybody else.

This is the dumbest !@#$ing thing I've ever read.