Great read on this yrs QB's class

If there is still the #1 QB prospect on the board at 8 then there is a reason. If I was drafting in the top 20 I would consider not taking a QB even if desperate. There is going to be a QB In the 2nd or 3rd and if you can identity a guy you can land him.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matt Scott write up is intriguing. Is it worth taking him in the 3rd after picking up value picks at LB and WR (in no particular order). I wish he lasted until the 4th because I think that would be a great spot to take him. A taller Russell Wilson in the 3rd or 4th is better than a flop in the 1st.

if he is this years Russell Wilson I would take him in the second round. I think what buddy said is true, if he is rated a 3rd or 4th round you better take him in the 2nd round.

I saw some vid on Matt Scott this morning and I like him more and more....

If there is still the #1 QB prospect on the board at 8 then there is a reason. If I was drafting in the top 20 I would consider not taking a QB even if desperate. There is going to be a QB In the 2nd or 3rd and if you can identity a guy you can land him.

the only teams desperate for a QB are in the top 9 teams in this draft. I'm pretty sure the Jets are not going QB at #9 so IMO the Bills can move back to the 20's and still have the same pick at QB they would of had at #8.

however if the Bills wait till pick #41 then the teams in front of us wil start the run on QB's left and th eBills will only have what's leftover, and that is not an option for this team.

according to Chris Brown in an interview a few months back on WGR the Bills and Nix apparently have questions about Smiths abilities to scan the field and read defenses. The comment was that he's a one side of the field player. He gets accolades because of his physical tools but as I harp on over and over... You want Smart QBs, not ones you have to limit your play book for.

I highly doubt they'd take him. And hope they don't.

If Smith can't read Defenses he is a high Bust risk. But having said that he might be more of a project QB than a day one starter.

The more I read into Smith the more concerns I have about him. But what scares me even more is the Bills are in such bad shape at QB they might pull the trigger on him and hope they can coach him up.

Matt Scott write up is intriguing. Is it worth taking him in the 3rd after picking up value picks at LB and WR (in no particular order). I wish he lasted until the 4th because I think that would be a great spot to take him. A taller Russell Wilson in the 3rd or 4th is better than a flop in the 1st.

That Matt Scott write up looks like he very well could be the next coming of Drew Brees. Doug Marrone coached on the Saints team which had Brees and I'll bet that the Saints offense is the one he wants to model this Bills team after. He would love to have a QB that has Brees' skills and talents because he's seen it up close, knows how it works in the NFL and knows it can win you a Superbowl provided you hit on the QB.

I'm really hoping the Bills draft Patterson in the 1st, and Scott in the 2nd. I don't mind having a 2nd rd QB being a bust, but if Scott is indeed a real franchise QB hiding in the weeds like Kaepernick and Wilson then the Bills have the makings of an truly awesome offense. I there's no way Scott lasts till our 3rd round pick. IMO he's being severely under rated by the experts.

That Matt Scott write up looks like he very well could be the next coming of Drew Brees. Doug Marrone coached on the Saints team which had Brees and I'll bet that the Saints offense is the one he wants to model this Bills team after. He would love to have a QB that has Brees' skills and talents because he's seen it up close, knows how it works in the NFL and knows it can win you a Superbowl provided you hit on the QB.

I'm really hoping the Bills draft Patterson in the 1st, and Scott in the 2nd. I don't mind having a 2nd rd QB being a bust, but if Scott is indeed a real franchise QB hiding in the weeds like Kaepernick and Wilson then the Bills have the makings of an truly awesome offense. I there's no way Scott lasts till our 3rd round pick. IMO he's being severely under rated by the experts.

I could live with C. Patterson in the first and Scott in the 2nd. That would be an excellent draft.

Here is a thought I had today, people are forgetting all about Marcus Easley. We still don't know about him because he just hasn't been healthy enough to show what he can do.

Thing about Patterson he is a one year wonder. Maybe a better idea would be to take Chance Warmack in the first to replace Levitre and taking Scott in the second round.

CJ and Freddie would benefit from Warmack. And if you going to have a rookie QB or even T. Jackson starting you better be able to run the football.

Before you guys flame me for that keep in mind I played O-line in college .... I always starts up front I say. :)

the only teams desperate for a QB are in the top 9 teams in this draft. I'm pretty sure the Jets are not going QB at #9 so IMO the Bills can move back to the 20's and still have the same pick at QB they would of had at #8.

however if the Bills wait till pick #41 then the teams in front of us wil start the run on QB's left and th eBills will only have what's leftover, and that is not an option for this team.

alright, so who in the draft outside of, say 15 needs a QB? The teams picking there so not have definitive needs and teams like Cleveland, Dallas, San Diego, Carolina, or Minnesota have no business drafting a QB. The teams over 20 can largely draft by BPA and if that means the Steelers draft a QB then they can take the very top.

I predict the first QB taken will be from a team tat tradesback in to get him...

I could live with C. Patterson in the first and Scott in the 2nd. That would be an excellent draft.

Here is a thought I had today, people are forgetting all about Marcus Easley. We still don't know about him because he just hasn't been healthy enough to show what he can do.

Thing about Patterson he is a one year wonder. Maybe a better idea would be to take Chance Warmack in the first to replace Levitre and taking Scott in the second round.

CJ and Freddie would benefit from Warmack. And if you going to have a rookie QB or even T. Jackson starting you better be able to run the football.

Before you guys flame me for that keep in mind I played O-line in college .... I always starts up front I say. :)

I would sign on for that if the Bills were going to be a "ground and pound" style offense, but I think Marrone wants to go more "fast break/score a bunch of points" style of offense like the Saints with Drew Brees. In essence, the offensive line isn't as important in a fast break offense as highly skilled talent would be. That is why I lean more towards the "home run" pick of Patterson.

If (and I know it's a big IF) the Bills hit big time with Patterson and Scott, they will be in the Superbowl hunt for a long time because the AFC is void of very many quality teams. Yes, the Ravens won the Superbowl, but look at them now. Brady and Manning are in their final years. I hope the Bills "hit for the fence" this draft in rounds 1 and 2.

Edited by 1billsfan

I would sign on for that if the Bills were going to be a "ground and pound" style offense, but I think Marrone wants to go more "fast break/score a bunch of points" style of offense like the Saints with Drew Brees. In essence, the offensive line isn't as important in a fast break offense as highly skilled talent would be. That is why I lean more towards the "home run" pick of Patterson.

If (and I know it's a big IF) the Bills hit big time with Patterson and Scott, they will be in the Superbowl hunt for a long time because the AFC is void of very many quality teams. Yes, the Ravens won the Superbowl, but look at them now. Brady and Manning are in their final years. I hope the Bills "hit for the fence" this draft in rounds 1 and 2.

You make a good point. Guess it does come down to what kinda of offence they are going to run.

To me with Spiller and Freddie back healthy you would think that Marrone tailors the offence around these 2 guys and be a ground and pound team. The reason I say that is Because you want to keep Tom Brady off the field as much as possible.

True Brady's window is closing. But he is still there.

I've stated my position on drafting a QB so many times that you all know I think they have to take one at 8. I think it is possible that three will go in the top ten. So if I'm the Bills I rank the top three and pick which ever is there when they pick. My top three in order are as follows:

E J Manuel

Ryan Nassib

Geno Smith

My reasoning on Manuel is that he has excelled at every opportunity, the Senior Bowl, the Combine and his Pro Day.

Indeed. But I'm still too shaky with Barkley to care too much. Maybe Fitz is too fresh in our memory but I'm getting a little tetchy at the mention of, "Great football IQ. no long range , but can sneak it into tight windows". That sounds just like Fitz before his play took a swan dive.

As much as I hate to say it, EJ Manuel is slowly winning me over, as there's a chance we can get him in round 2 and get a great WR or LB in round 1.

Confirmation: http://www.wgr550.com/Bills--Whaley-present-at-Barkley-s-pro-day/15901655

While Barkley may not have elite arm strength, his arm is stronger than Fitz's. But the biggest difference between the two is that Barkley throws accurately.

Sound reasoning, but who wants the Bills #1 pick? And would someone like Buddy who historically sticks to his spot make a move like this?

Sound reasoning, but who wants the Bills #1 pick? And would someone like Buddy who historically sticks to his spot make a move like this?

Excuse the phraseology but Buddy popped his cherry last year with a draft trade. And he's come under heavy criticism for being inflexible and you know he reads what's out there.

I don't think the Bills will trade back but I wouldn't be that surprised if they did.

Excuse the phraseology but Buddy popped his cherry last year with a draft trade. And he's come under heavy criticism for being inflexible and you know he reads what's out there.

I don't think the Bills will trade back but I wouldn't be that surprised if they did.

I would imagine the key to a Trade back will be Geno...If he goes from 1-7 The Bills will have a decision to make...Especially if all the other QB's are still around...I think if 2 QB's go in the first 7 picks it puts more pressure on The Bills to stay put and just take their guy...The other factor with a trade down scenario is the jets...They need a QB too...Almost as much as The Bills...And the last thing Buffalo wants to do is trade back a few spots only to see their target guy get Drafted into the Division at #9 overall...I think that will be a major concern...

So anyway...I'm guessing if Geno is there they take him...If Geno is gone, but Barkley and Manuel are both there, The Bills could trade down a couple spots...If two of those three are gone they take the QB they like best, maybe even Nassib at #8, and move on...

The scenario I like best is trading down a few spots, getting an extra pick, and still landing Manuel...I do doubt very much The Bills trade down...But we'll see... B-)

I would imagine the key to a Trade back will be Geno...If he goes from 1-7 The Bills will have a decision to make...Especially if all the other QB's are still around...I think if 2 QB's go in the first 7 picks it puts more pressure on The Bills to stay put and just take their guy...The other factor with a trade down scenario is the jets...They need a QB too...Almost as much as The Bills...And the last thing Buffalo wants to do is trade back a few spots only to see their target guy get Drafted into the Division at #9 overall...I think that will be a major concern...

So anyway...I'm guessing if Geno is there they take him...If Geno is gone, but Barkley and Manuel are both there, The Bills could trade down a couple spots...If two of those three are gone they take the QB they like best, maybe even Nassib at #8, and move on...

The scenario I like best is trading down a few spots, getting an extra pick, and still landing Manuel...I do doubt very much The Bills trade down...But we'll see... B-)

Your analysis is very sound. If Geno is there they should select him. If Geno is not on the board I would love to see them trade down and take Barkley/Nassib/Manuel lower down in the first round. I'm not suggesting that these qbs aren't second round rated players but there are too many teams ahead of us in the second round that could take our preferred qb in that round.

Where I somewhat disagree with you is that I don't see the Jets taking a qb in the first round. They have a lot of needs and the remaining qbs left for them to consider aren't special enough to take at that point in the first round.

One qb that intrigues me is Tyler Wilson. He fits Nix's mold of playing in the SEC and has southern roots. He was a much more promising prospect after this junior year compared to his senior year in a program that was subjected to a lot of turmoil. He would be an interesting prospect in the second round.

From a qb perspective this draft year is much more interesting than last year. The two elite qb prospects simplified how the top of the draft was going to fall. This year there are many conflicting views on the qb prospects. Russell Wilson was the surprise of last year's qb prospects. No one could forsee how good he was going to be. In this year's draft there could be a couple or more surprise prospects who down the line will outperform the declared top prospects.

I'm totally with you on this, but if this happens, the amount of "butt-puckery" that'll take place will most definitely suck while waiting for the Bills pick to come back around, hoping someone else doesn't scoop him up.

When considering Ponder, Locker and Gabbert all went in the top 15 of the 2011 draft, I am of the opinion that we'll see something similar this year. Were these guys so much better as NFL prospects? I think not. I suspect, the Bills liked Ponder but were stunned to see him go so early. Same with Kaepernik, Wilson, and Cousins. The rookie wage scale has rewritten the rules about when they get drafted, how soon they should step in, and how much progress they should show. It will be much easier to kick Gabbert to the curb than Bradford. Ryan Fitzpatrick was never Mr. Right, he was Mr. Right Now and the Bills thought they could be patient and make a choice with which they were comfortable but they have been slow to realize that the rules regarding drafting and developing QBs have changed.

Show me a quick, athletic QB but who takes a lot of sacks and doesn't break many plays on his feet and I can't help but think that they are "slow on their feet" thinkers. Maybe that is why Geno is #4 four in Al's ratings.