What about us, POTUS?

Today POTUS worked the two sides of the Palestinian - Israeli issues hoping to encourage compromise and a start toward common agreements.

Why didn't he/doesn't he try the same tactics here in Washington, DC; try to exert leadership in his own patch?

Curiouser and curiouser....

Today POTUS worked the two sides of the Palestinian - Israeli issues hoping to encourage compromise and a start toward common agreements.

Why didn't he/doesn't he try the same tactics here in Washington, DC; try to exert leadership in his own patch?

Curiouser and curiouser....

Because he's finally trying to earn his Nobel.

Even his most honest supporters agree that Mr. Obama simply does not have any administrative skills. He does not know how to bring people together. Community "Organizer" really means having someone point out whats wrong, but not really solve.

On the other hand (even though he did try and please both sides) I really would like to compliment him on his several pro-Israel position speeches that he delivered yesterday and today. He went much farther, and with much more support than he has previously and it was good to hear him say it. (of course, we'll have to see if his actions meets his words.)

First, he did not call Israeli settlement activity “illegitimate,” which was his administration’'s previous position. Rather, he said it was unhelpful, a far softer line that is much easier for Israelis to swallow.

Second, he completely undercut the Palestinians’ argument that they can’t come to the bargaining table because of continuing Israeli settlement activity. Obama seemed clearly to be calling for unconditional negotiations, though he did not use the word specifically. He explained to Palestinians that one can’t ask for the fruits of negotiations before they even start.

This tilt toward the Israeli view may be smaller than it appears if, behind closed doors, Obama is pushing the Netanyahu government toward some sort of construction freeze. But Obama’s comments appeared to me to reflect an understanding that the Palestinian demand for a complete freeze on new settlement, including even in Jerusalem, will make talks impossible. So his comments in Ramallah represent a new position for his administration and a rejection of the previous approach — and an abandonment of his obsession with settlements — associated with the administration’s former special envoy, George Mitchell.

Also, President Obama has essentially signaled that Israel has a green light to deal with Iran as it wishes. And that's actually good. I agree.

Barry Rubin understood that too, but wonders:

Then Obama made an extraordinary statement:

“I think that what Bibi alluded to, which is absolutely correct, is each country has to make its own decisions when it comes to the awesome decision to engage in any kind of military action. And Israel is differently situated than the United States, and I would not expect that the prime minister would make a decision about his country’s security and defer that to any other country, any more than the United States would defer our decisions about what was important for our national security.”

What Obama just said publicly is that if Netanyahu decided that Israel’s defense required an attack on Iran, the president would not expect the prime minister to be deterred by U.S. opposition. Did Obama mean that? It is hard to believe that he did, yet what no Israeli leader is going to miss that seeming “green light.

In fact, Professor Rubin questioned a number of the President’s other statements and wondered if the President understood the implications of what he was saying.

http://legalinsurrec...n-tonight/#more

Edited by B-Man

Another good speech today by President Obama, this one, directly to the Palestinians.

Krauthammer’s Take: Obama Made ‘One of Most Important’ Statements About Arab-Israeli Peace

Charles Krauthammer argues that President Obama, in his press conference earlier today with Palestinian president Mahmoud Abbas, made “one of the most important statements” ever by an American president about Arab-Israeli peace by acknowledging that Israeli settlements are an ancillary issue to a peace between the two parties based on security.

Everybody understands that when the line is drawn between the territories, the Israeli settlements on the Palestinian side will all be evacuated,” Krauthammer said. “So he is saying the problem will be solved if there is a peace agreement, because as in Gaza, all the settlements will be removed . . . this is a way to truly undercut the Palestinian argument, and this is what Abbas has been now saying for all of Obama’s first term: ‘I cannot negotiate unless there is a freeze in settlements.’ Obama understands today as he did not at the beginning of his term that that is entirely a ruse. He wants negotiations so he is saying to the Palestinians, ‘The ball is in your court. You can start right now and you should.’ That is a major change in positions.”

Edited by B-Man

Another good speech today by President Obama, this one, directly to the Palestinians.

Krauthammer’s Take: Obama Made ‘One of Most Important’ Statements About Arab-Israeli Peace

Charles Krauthammer argues that President Obama, in his press conference earlier today with Palestinian president Mahmoud Abbas, made “one of the most important statements” ever by an American president about Arab-Israeli peace by acknowledging that Israeli settlements are an ancillary issue to a peace between the two parties based on security.

Everybody understands that when the line is drawn between the territories, the Israeli settlements on the Palestinian side will all be evacuated,” Krauthammer said. “So he is saying the problem will be solved if there is a peace agreement, because as in Gaza, all the settlements will be removed . . . this is a way to truly undercut the Palestinian argument, and this is what Abbas has been now saying for all of Obama’s first term: ‘I cannot negotiate unless there is a freeze in settlements.’ Obama understands today as he did not at the beginning of his term that that is entirely a ruse. He wants negotiations so he is saying to the Palestinians, ‘The ball is in your court. You can start right now and you should.’ That is a major change in positions.”

Yeah, but I'm also reading that Obama compared Israel/Palestine relations to US/Canada.... Hmmmm......

I remember when I lived in Buffalo, keeping the bomb shelter stocked because of those Canadian Bacon filled Quassam rockets that flew in randomly during the Maple Syrup Wars, but was unaware our relationship with our neighbors to the north had disintegrated further....

sarcasm off....

While I would like to believe the President has really seen the light, history tells us he's evolving because he desperately needs Jewish money for the 2014 midterms. And that's not a conservative just trying to find fault with Obama. That's a person pointing out what everyone else is actually thinking.

While I would like to believe the President has really seen the light, history tells us he's evolving because he desperately needs Jewish money for the 2014 midterms. And that's not a conservative just trying to find fault with Obama. That's a person pointing out what everyone else is actually thinking.

You are correct. There is plenty of evidence to doubt Mr. Obama's sincerity.

But, he did say it and with the Palestinian President standing next to him. That, along with his comments about Iran yesterday are statements that we all should support.

Even his most honest supporters agree that Mr. Obama simply does not have any administrative skills. He does not know how to bring people together. Community "Organizer" really means having someone point out whats wrong, but not really solve.

On the other hand (even though he did try and please both sides) I really would like to compliment him on his several pro-Israel position speeches that he delivered yesterday and today. He went much farther, and with much more support than he has previously and it was good to hear him say it. (of course, we'll have to see if his actions meets his words.)

Also, President Obama has essentially signaled that Israel has a green light to deal with Iran as it wishes. And that's actually good. I agree.

http://legalinsurrec...n-tonight/#more

From my perspective, it's fairly obvious, they have intel that indicates that time is running out and that the Iranians are getting uncomfortably close to having capabilities of mass destruction, and the accord he had with Israel is that we wouldn't allow that to happen and that his efforts to attempt to deter this from happening have all but been exhausted.

Edited by Magox

Listening to Obama's speech yesterday, for once, I agree with everything he said.

I sincerely hope he manages to pull it off or at the very least strongly advance the peace process.

You are correct. There is plenty of evidence to doubt Mr. Obama's sincerity.

But, he did say it and with the Palestinian President standing next to him. That, along with his comments about Iran yesterday are statements that we all should support.

Should we support the content or the insincerity...?

Should we support the content or the insincerity...?

youngfrank6.jpeg

Why...........................the content, sir.

lol.

I did agree with your original post Keuka, that Mr Obama has not even attempted to show this kind of leadership in his own country.

POTUS, the fixer, strikes again! Once more the keen ability to bring others together demonstrates our dear leader's political acumen.

http://www.theaustra...o-1226603952915

However, the inept schlub just can't seem to wield his vast experience at brokering compromise here in CONUS!

Whatta' phoney!

Edited by Keukasmallies

OK, here's another thought: If our President can go to foreign countries and broker compromise and good will, how about asking the President/Premier/leader of other countries to come here and attempt to resolve some of the thorny domestic issues we're facing? C'mon, some of those Scandinavian leaders must have some ideas in their hip pockets that would help us out of our hissy-fit congressional entanglements.

A bit unusual, you say, asking for assistance with domestic affairs? Well, our current guy only seems effective dealing with someone else's issues; he can't seem to get his head around the problems here.

Maybe we start small--send Harry Reid to Thailand and invite someone from Canada to sit in for him for a bit, eh?

OK, here's another thought: If our President can go to foreign countries and broker compromise and good will, how about asking the President/Premier/leader of other countries to come here and attempt to resolve some of the thorny domestic issues we're facing? C'mon, some of those Scandinavian leaders must have some ideas in their hip pockets that would help us out of our hissy-fit congressional entanglements.

A bit unusual, you say, asking for assistance with domestic affairs? Well, our current guy only seems effective dealing with someone else's issues; he can't seem to get his head around the problems here.

Maybe we start small--send Harry Reid to Thailand and invite someone from Canada to sit in for him for a bit, eh?

We could send you Harper but everyone will just die of boredom.

Or maybe Berlusconi??? A bunga bunga party fixes all.