Lost in all of this, we need a Tight End

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills do need a TE.

The Bills also need a QB, the need WR's, they need OL, they need LB's, and these are just the critical needs.

Does this sound like a contender?

Not so much.

No, it sounds like a team that needs a new GM!

I would take a flyer on Fred Davis for a 1 year/option for 2 kind of deal + draft one in 3-5 round....when healthy, Davis had moments of being a total beast.

I know - I can't believe the Bills haven't gone after him yet. This is an example of the kinds of risks the Bills SHOULD be taking - when healthy, Davis is multi-dimensional, pro-bowl level TE, and he's young - and all the Bills have to do is throw a minimum salary at him! They need to look to the higher ceiling players, and I hope they quickly begin to!

TE is the last thing we need. OMG people.

OG, MLB, OLB, S, CB, WR, QB, are all needs before we should even THINK about TE. :wallbash:

I wouldn't go that far. A good TE is a built in match up problem that is an easier throw for a young (or bad) QB. And that quick throw could hide a bad OG and be a better option than a young WR who doesn't run routes well. And if it's for a 1st down, or even a series of 1st downs, the defense doesn't even have to come on the field, so you don't even need the MLB, OLB, S or CB.

So THERE. They MUST take a TE.

Seriously. It's a team game and they need it ALL. Don't kid yourself.

Edited by JPS

That fact isn't lost on all of us. There were a few good, affordable TE's available in FA but we never even contacted any of them as far as any published reports. The only reason I keep hearing is that Buddy Nix is scouting Pro Days and can't do both like every other teams do.

We went after Delanie Walker, apparently.

Ha, yep. No multi-tasking it seems. Or maybe we're just going for that compensatory pick.

i could see maybe Vance McDonald in the 4th if he fell that far. I'd say Dion Sims, but he doesn't play in the South, sooooo...

Good call. We'll just take a tight end in the fourth round and... voila! Problem solved. See: Derek Fine and Shawn Nelson.

The answer is Fred Davis.

But furthermore, if they feel like Chandler is progressing OK, I suppose it wouldn't be the end of the world if we missed him for a couple weeks. But if it looks like he may miss half the season, then yeah, this becomes a glaring need.

Fred Davis is the only real option left in free agency, but teams seem to be waiting to assess his recovery from Achilles tendon injury. If healthy, he could really improve our passing game. Because of other needs, it is hard to see us picking one up in the draft before round 4.

Actually it is not lost on anyone on this board. We neeed two TE's because Chandler was a good TE for 1996 not so much in 2013. Coming off an ACL he is going to be worthless and probably will not make the team.

Well didnt Chandler set some tight end records with us recently ?

Its any one guess about his solid return to form after injury, But we do know he probably won't start suit first game or two.

We got the very strong blocking TE in Lee and we need that for sure.

Caussin is a big question mark as if he can even make the team. I mean a real team ! sorry. badjk.

Fendi might be real option. They resigned Dickerson which surprised me.

I gotta think they are going to draft one and pick up a udfa. The team is going to stay budget conscious this year and wait for Chandler.

That also means the pressure for good fit WR's is heavier than gravity and these guys better have a plan. some body besides Stevie will need to get open !!

We've needed a TE since the glory days of Pete Metzelaars. They don't even get great blocking TEs (besides Jason Peters), just scrubs.

Well some people accuse Lee Smith of blocking like an offensive tackle. Unfortunately some people also accuse him of running and catching like an offensive tackle so there's that too.

BTW, good job on the spelling of Metz. I believe the success rate for the spelling of his name is below 50% around here.

Fred Davis smokes the Weed and was badly hurt........................I like his upside also but he has some question marks for sure.

Thanks Ryan.

For a balanced conversation, that needed to be said.

Throw money at a guy who's recovering from an achilles injury?