'Sleepers' if we really must bring in a FA QB..........

What's on my mind is someone who has proven he can "get the job done" in the NFL, but may be a bit "off the radar" as a FA and might be relatively inexpensive.

Neither of these guys is "the man" or "the answer", but either could potentially be a quality choice as a stopgap to help us maneuver out from under Fitz' 2014 Cap Hit if we keep him this year because the FA market looks pretty thin.

David Garrard

Downside:

1)hasn't played in 2 years. Reason: herniated disk 2011, was signed by the 'phins then cut when he would require arthroscopic surgery

Herniated disc can be something it takes more than 1 year to recover from (see Manning's 2 operations) but if a guy is recovered, payoff could be good.

2) age. He's 35.

3) Need to look carefully at his health and state of fitness. (see 1)

Upside:

1) when he played, he was a steady to good QB playing for a crap team most of his career. Underappreciated QB IMO.

2) almost 2:1 TD:INT ratio. Doesn't make the dumb mistakes of TJax (~1:1 TD:INT ratio) or Fitz

3) average 7 ypa to make Edward's Arm happy

4) Big guy (6'1", 240 lbs) but not a statue back there - over age 30, rushed for >200 yds most recent 3 seasons he played

5) 1 playoff appearance, 1 probowl (diff years) - knows something about what it takes

Because he hasn't played for 2 years, competition for his services could be lower and he might be willing to accept a lower price to stay in the game (low risk/high reward)

If we decide to cut Fitz and get rid of the 2014 Cap Curse and we want another vet around in case TJax doesn't cut it/our rookie not ready to play, we could do worse

Jets are said to be interested, and Garrard is said to be interested in Jets but "deal not imminent".

Seneca Wallace

Downside

1) out of the league last year after being cut by Browns just before opening day. Limited playtime 2 yrs before that.

2) age. He's 32.

3) Small guy. 5'11", 196 lb (but tough - has also played WR)

4) <7 ypa so Edward's Arm won't like him

Upside:

1) best season in Seattle (2008), started 8 games, threw for 1532 yds, 11 TD, 3 INTs. QBR 87

2) almost 2:1 TD:INT ratio. Again, doesn't make the stupid mistakes

3) nimble - doesn't get sacked much, can extend a play

4) versitile - played WR a bit for Seattle and since he actually can throw decently, any trick play with Wallace in there has to be taken seriously as a pass threat

5) apparently still wants it - per Nelson article, Nelson was taking throws from Seneca Wallace.

I think both are WC system QB, so the lingo and route trees Pettine may introduce shouldn't be strange to them

This topic brings up an interesting point though that I've been pondering for a few weeks.

Marrone is reputed to use a West Coast variant, sometimes referred to as the Gulf Coast Offense. Hackett's Dad was a strict practitioner of the West Coast offense.

Yet I've seen very little conversation about what available quarterbacks, pro and college, would project to fitting the Bills new offense.

Occasionally some people have made the point that Barkley and Nassib are obvious fits for the Bills offense and while not liking either player that much, I agree with the thinking.

Are the Bills like many teams, going to adopt some elements of the read option (using Brad Smith)?

Does a statuesque pocket passer (Glennon, Landry Jones, Tyler Bray) fit into what we anticipate the Bills offense to look like?

How about a rangy athletic QB like Manuel?

Back to the OP, IF the Bills were in the market for a veteran placeholder/eventual backup certainly Seneca Wallace would seem to be a good fit.

However I feel like the Bills are gonna add a QB in the draft and not pursue any free agent QBs.

Add Matt Moore to the list. He hasn't been figured out yet, and he could be serviceable as a backup should we cut Fitz.

He was re-signed by the Dolphins, 2 years and $8,000,000

Add Matt Moore to the list. He hasn't been figured out yet, and he could be serviceable as a backup should we cut Fitz.

Negative. Not because he's not decent, but because he's been resigned by the 'Phins

Reportedly for $8 million, which is a bit much for the niche I was describing: an extra insurance card for a rookie who may not be ready to play, who might be better than TJax or who at least doesn't have the TJax/Fitz achilles' heel of throwing too may INTs.

Haha, yup. Can't think of too many unknown Joe Montana's that sign with teams in free agency.

That makes you sound cute, but it's totally missing the niche I was describing - did you even read the OP?

"What's on my mind is someone who has proven he can "get the job done" in the NFL, but may be a bit "off the radar" as a FA and might be relatively inexpensive.

Neither of these guys is "the man" or "the answer", but either could potentially be a quality choice as a stopgap"

Where do you read that and come up with "unknown Joe Montana"?

Edited by Hopeful

Garrard & Wallace? How are either an upgrade over fitz? There's absolutely no benefit. Why chase a FA qb at all? It's a waste of money and cap space as well as senseless. Fitz is staying put for at least this season, unless a clearly (clearly) better (better) option is available for a lot (a lot) less money... which right now DOES NOT EXIST!!!

i would rather bring in cambell

Campbell is IMO another under-rated QB, but he's in no way "off the radar" in the NFL right now. He played last year and played well in the 1 game he started.

Reportedly, Chicago would like to re-sign him and he would like to re-sign with Chicago and the hangup is his $3.5 million 2012 salary.

Moore just signed for $8 million/2 yrs, making Campbell arguably the "pick of the FA litter" right now - no reason Campbell should go for a 1 yr deal as a bargain back-up plan.

Garrard & Wallace? How are either an upgrade over fitz? There's absolutely no benefit. Why chase a FA qb at all? It's a waste of money and cap space as well as senseless. Fitz is staying put for at least this season, unless a clearly (clearly) better (better) option is available for a lot (a lot) less money... which right now DOES NOT EXIST!!!

I wrote "either could potentially be a quality choice as a stopgap to help us maneuver out from under Fitz' 2014 Cap Hit if we keep him this year because the FA market looks pretty thin."

Let me try to break it down and be clearer

1) Cut Fitz: leaves us with TJax and a rookie who may well not be ready to start. TJax has the same tendency as Fitz to throw INTs and TDs in almost equal quantities, which tends to lose games.

2) Don't cut Fitz/ no restructure, that leaves us paying him $7.25 million this year ($10.5k cap hit), and taking a $10 million cap hit in 2014 when we're trying to resign Wood and fill in remaining gaps in FA. Nasty.

I suggest alternative 3) Cut Fitz, and bring in a low financial risk/high potential reward kind of QB, someone who has shown in the past they can get it done, but is not in demand.

I went point by point about why I think either of those two, if healthy, could potentially be better than Fitz. Let me try to summarize:

Garrard: better lifetime completion percentage, completion percentage 64% and 7.3 Y/A most recent 4 years he's played, lifetime TD% 3.9, lifetime INT% 2.4 - much less prone to INTs. Probowl and playoff.

Wallace: similar to Fitz in completion percentage and Y/A, TD% 4.1, INT % 2.4. About as likely to throw a TD, and significantly less likely to toss INTs at the wrong time.

Compare to Fitz in Buffalo TD % 4.6, INT %3.7 - more TDs, and more throwing the game away with costly INTs at bad times.

Think you'll like TJax better? Lifetime he's thrown TDS and INTs in almost a dead heat, TD% 3.6, INT% 3.3. He's an OK QB, and gnashing teeth will gnash with him behind center.

Now, if Fitz restructures, the salary cap thing goes away. But otherwise, just sayin'.

Edited by Hopeful

I love when people respond with intellectual responses, truly shows how much they know about the game....ohh wait, never mind, I guess the same goes for the opposite as well

Does one need to write out a thesis for every single response just to obtain favor from people who may possibly question their intelligence or "football I.Q."? No. Thank you. :thumbsup:

Edited by H2o

I'm In with Garrard. He will EASILY beat out the rookie plus whatever other scrubs are on our roster come September. He won the Job in Miami before getting hurt!

Guy makes good decisions and knows how to move the chains in ANY situation.

Only question is how much he's got left in the tank. If he stays healthy, and someone else doesn't grab him, that's my guy in FA.

On Garrard's WORST day, He is more efficient, makes better decisions, and has (minimum) twice the arm strength of Fitzchumstick.

My only knock on Garrard is his age, which brings into question his durability. He's also a consumate PRO... Lotsa good things for a rookie scrub to key in on, and learn from.

Even at 35, we can get better production out of him than Fitz. -That's JMWO.

Edited by #34fan

I'm In with Garrard. He will EASILY beat out the rookie plus whatever other scrubs are on our roster come September. He won the Job in Miami before getting hurt!

Guy makes good decisions and knows how to move the chains in ANY situation.

Only question is how much he's got left in the tank. If he stays healthy, and someone else doesn't grab him, that's my guy in FA.

On Garrard's WORST day, He is more efficient, makes better decisions, and has (minimum) twice the arm strength of Fitzchumstick.

My only knock on Garrard is his age, which brings into question his durability. He's also a consumate PRO... Lotsa good things for a scrub rookie to key in on, and learn from.

Even at 35, we can get better production out of him than Fitz. -That's JMWO.

Reality. Garrard is done. He ain't gonna give you any more than fitz even if he was healthy and 30. What you gain in arm strength doesn't surpass fitz football brain. Fitz is adequate in a transition year on a team that will be hard pressed to finish .500.

Reality. Garrard is done. He ain't gonna give you any more than fitz even if he was healthy and 30. What you gain in arm strength doesn't surpass fitz football brain. Fitz is adequate in a transition year on a team that will be hard pressed to finish .500.

I can understand why you'd think he was done... I'm just saying "not so fast"

DG's last year starting in the league he threw 23 TD's and rushed for five. He's never thrown more that 15 INT's in a season. -Fitz can have that many by November.

This is a guy who won the starting job in 2007 over a seemingly entrenched Byron Leftwich. That same year he went 11-5 and made to the playoffs.

Last season (at 34) he went to MIA and won the job over a talented rookie and yet ANOTHER entrenched starter.

:huh: So, I'm not sure what your observations are based on... Are we talking about the same Dave Garrard?

Edited by #34fan

What you gain in arm strength doesn't surpass fitz football brain.

A case for why "Football Brains" should not be confused with actual talent.

Fitz is adequate in a transition year on a team that will be hard pressed to finish .500.

Fitz has only proved adequate at hoodwinking old men out of MILLIONS. Again, I don't know what you could be looking at.

DG's last year starting in the league he threw 23 TD's and rushed for five. He's never thrown more that 15 INT's in a season. -Fitz can have that many by November.

This is a guy who won the starting job in 2007 over a seemingly entrenched Byron Leftwich. That same year he went 11-5 and made to the playoffs.

Last season (at 34) he went to MIA and won the job over a talented rookie and yet ANOTHER entrenched starter.

:huh: So, I'm not sure what your observations are based on... Are we talking about the same Dave Garrard?

He was not entrenched as the starter in miami. He was injured most of the preseason during the qb competition. Dolphins saw enough in tannehill and knew what they had in moore. Dolphins decided he wasn't an upgrade over either and cut before the season.

Any team is free to sign him. No team has. No team considers him a starter. He's looked at as a backup only.

As fpr the Bills. It would make absolutely no flippin sense for the bills to cut fitz, take a 10m cap hit, additionally add $5m to the cap to rent a damahed goods qb past his prime for one season and then have him injured. Especially considering fitz has never missed a game due to injury and is physically whole. And, if the defense had even been ranked in the 16-20 range and a rb that could hold onto the football on the goal line, the Bills would have won 10 games had fitz not consistently been put in catch up situations.

Can't really argue with OP. Either of these guys could bring something to a team under the right circumstances. In our case though, I don't think its worth it. We're stuck with Fitz's cap hit whether we cut him or not. May as well hang on to Fitz since he's at least as talented as either of the two QB's mentioned. Fitz is a solid back-up for us as well.

We are going to draft and start a rookie as I see it. Hopefully an effective one. If he gets hurt, we've got a pretty darn good back-up in Fitz to hold the fort.

jb

I like Fitz. I wish he'd taken that extra step from 2011 instead of regressing as he did in 2012.

I'm chill with saying Fitz is adequate, we want to keep him and not chase guys who've been out of football - are you chill that then we'll be chowing down another $10 million cap hit in 2014?

Me, not so much.

When Garrard was healthy and 29, he was leading a 9-3 team to the playoffs and setting an NFL record for lowest interception percentage.

When Fitz was healthy and 29, he was leading the NFL in INTs that year. So I'm not quite sure the basis for your conclusion "he ain't gonna give you any more than Fitz".

Riddle me this: if Garrard has less football brain than Fitz, how come he managed to throw so many fewer interceptions whilst racking up similar passing yards?

Edited by Hopeful

He was not entrenched as the starter in miami. He was injured most of the preseason during the qb competition. Dolphins saw enough in tannehill and knew what they had in moore. Dolphins decided he wasn't an upgrade over either and cut before the season.

When i said "entrenched starter" I was referring to Moore. The job was Moore's to lose, and he did just that.

Any team is free to sign him. No team has. No team considers him a starter. He's looked at as a backup only.

:lol: -That's what MIA thought too, until he wowed the S__t out of them!

A 34 year old journeyman shouldn't be able to pull a young buck's card like that.

As fpr the Bills. It would make absolutely no flippin sense for the bills to cut fitz, take a 10m cap hit, additionally add $5m to the cap to rent a damahed goods qb past his prime for one season and then have him injured. Especially considering fitz has never missed a game due to injury and is physically whole. And, if the defense had even been ranked in the 16-20 range and a rb that could hold onto the football on the goal line, the Bills would have won 10 games had fitz not consistently been put in catch up situations.

Disagree.. If he get's us to the playoffs, while grooming a young (scrub) QB, It'd be worth it. Tha't JMO.. I watched Jax games quite a bit, and noticed how tough Garrard used to play the Colts. -He's still a competitor, and just the type of stopgap leader a team like ours could use. -Might even teach OC Hackett a few things.

Can't really argue with OP. Either of these guys could bring something to a team under the right circumstances. In our case though, I don't think its worth it. We're stuck with Fitz's cap hit whether we cut him or not. May as well hang on to Fitz since he's at least as talented as either of the two QB's mentioned. Fitz is a solid back-up for us as well.

We are going to draft and start a rookie as I see it. Hopefully an effective one. If he gets hurt, we've got a pretty darn good back-up in Fitz to hold the fort.

jb

Thing is jb, if we keep Fitz we're stuck with the cap hit NEXT YEAR as well. If we cut him, it's one-and-done, no 2014 cap hit lingering like the stench of a dead woodchuck under the porch.

NFL is a "what have you done for me lately" league, and Garrard and Wallace have been out of football. Otherwise, Fitz at least as talented as Garrard? Um, no. History says otherwise, as does the "eyeball test".

I hear you on drafting the rookie, though I think it depends who he is and how ready he is, whether or not he should start. I think we need Plan B.

Er, were you privy to the discussion in the Miami FO or something? Garrard was injured through training camp. He decided to have surgery hours before the preseason game he was scheduled to start. Very few teams are going to keep a newly-signed injured vet QB on the roster along with the rookie they just drafted and a healthy vet. It's really a stretch to interpret that as "he wasn't an upgrade over either". Injuries are career killers in the NFL unless you're Payton Manning.

I don't think it would make sense to sign Garrard for $5 million either. Part of the premise of the OP was that because these guys have been out of football Garrard is not going to command the same salary as Moore or (likely) Campbell.

Edited by Hopeful

jb

Wait a minute, how long was I blacked-out?

I must've missed one of the past 3 seasons 'cause I don't remember a time when Fitz has EVER held ANY fort..

In fact, I recall him GIVING UP the fort a few times just last year! :lol:

Please don't tell me we're doing this again... Please don't tell me you guys are willing to take back the same SKANK hoping she's going to change.... Fitz is absolutely NO GOOD at QB. -He never has been. Any faith you may have in Fitzchumstick is quite literally BLIND.

I'm not going down this road anymore. -Get well soon, guys.

Edited by #34fan

JP is available, if you're looking for washed up qb free agents.

Just sayin'

Topic of this thread is "QB who has proven he can "get the job done" in the NFL, but may be a bit "off the radar" as a FA (ie due to being out of NFL?) and might be relatively inexpensive.

JP qualifies on the "out of NFL and might be relatively inexpensive" part.

Would you care to construct an argument that he has "proven he can get the job done in the NFL"?

I wouldn't myself - another "~equal TDs and INTs" guy with ~ 59% completions overall and inconsistent; statue-like mobility; etc - we'd be better off with TJax or Fitz IMO - but don't let that stop you.

Please proceed if you wish to attempt a cogent argument in this regard.

Great post agree.

Thing is jb, if we keep Fitz we're stuck with the cap hit NEXT YEAR as well. If we cut him, it's one-and-done, no 2014 cap hit lingering like the stench of a dead woodchuck under the porch.

NFL is a "what have you done for me lately" league, and Garrard and Wallace have been out of football. Otherwise, Fitz at least as talented as Garrard? Um, no. History says otherwise, as does the "eyeball test".

I hear you on drafting the rookie, though I think it depends who he is and how ready he is, whether or not he should start. I think we need Plan B.

Fair enough. I was not aware of the 2014 cap hit you mention. Do you know how much the 2014 cap hit on Fitz would be ? It does present a bit of a problem I was not aware of. Thanx.

jb

I would rather the Bills draft 3 rookie QB's and let them compete for the starting job in mini-camp, camp, and preseason. Three QB's with unknown ceilings, versus a free agent QB that is unsigned by 32 NFL clubs for a reason.

Come on guys, Garrard? Campbell? Seneca Wallace?

Fair enough. I was not aware of the 2014 cap hit you mention. Do you know how much the 2014 cap hit on Fitz would be ? It does present a bit of a problem I was not aware of. Thanx.

jb

Per this site (which seems to have straight gouge), Fitz counts $10.55 million against the cap in 2014, $7 million dead money (2014 cap hit if we cut him)

What I don't know is when the 2014 cap hit enters into it - if he's on the roster March 13th? If he's on the 53 man cutdown roster? If he plays?

Fitz's last year he threw 24 TD's and 16 Int's - DG threw 23 TD's and 15 Int's. DG played 2 less games so maybe his totals get better maybe they get worse, who knows? I do know based on his average he doesn't throw as many yards. Saying that Garrard's numbers are way better than Fit'z especially in the int catagory are just false.

We get that you hate Fitz, hell most of us do too, but rying to trump up a bad QB like Garrard to exacerbate your hatred frankly makes you look silly.

Edited by Triple Threat