Question about Fitz's contract from his perspective, not the teams

Fitz has nothing coming to him. But he's smart guy. Whatever he does will be the right thing to do for him. I'm pretty confident in that. My Question is: If they cut him to save the $3M roster bonus, then resign him later to a 1 year deal, what's his cap hit?

His cap hit is $10,450,000 if the keep him under the current contract. If they cut him, the cap hit is $10,000,000. If they were to cut and resign him, they still take a 10M cap hit plus whatever they re-sign him for. That scenario aint likely to happen. If they cut him, he's done in Buffalo and they will move on. I will add, that if they cut him... the Jonny Football countdown is on. Even if the Bills fill the QB in the draft, there is no QB in the draft or left on the Bills roster after a Fitz cut that will be effective enough to win games. The QB will be under tight control in year one of the transition and the defense has a lot holes too. So if Fitz goes... the Bills are in full rebuild mode and this season is a write off.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if Fitz goes... the Bills are in full rebuild mode and this season is a write off.

As opposed to Fitz staying, in which case the season is also a write-off (and we get to eat his cap number again in 2014 yay!) 4 days 18 hours....I'll be watching my phone Friday, I feel a text message coming....

His cap hit is $10,450,000 if the keep him under the current contract. If they cut him, the cap hit is $10,000,000. If they were to cut and resign him, they still take a 10M cap hit plus whatever they re-sign him for. That scenario aint likely to happen. If they cut him, he's done in Buffalo and they will move on. I will add, that if they cut him... the Jonny Football countdown is on. Even if the Bills fill the QB in the draft, there is no QB in the draft or left on the Bills roster after a Fitz cut that will be effective enough to win games. The QB will be under tight control in year one of the transition and the defense has a lot holes too. So if Fitz goes... the Bills are in full rebuild mode and this season is a write off.

Johnny Football is gonna suck as a pro. Not every running QB is gonna become Russell Wilson. He doesn't pass well enough.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

Where did I say that? I'm sure he will improve, but I don't think he will make it as a pro passer.

You said "He's gonna suck as a pro... he doesn't pass well enough."

The guy is barely 20 years old, completed 68.5% of his passes and averaged 8.5 yards per attempt.

I don't know how you could speak so assuredly.

We can't possibly project how well he'll pass the ball even one year from now, much less 2-3.

You said "He's gonna suck as a pro... he doesn't pass well enough."

The guy is barely 20 years old, completed 68.5% of his passes and averaged 8.5 yards per attempt.

I don't know how you could speak so assuredly.

We can't possibly project how well he'll pass the ball even one year from now, much less 2-3.

Just the same, I don't know how people can assume that he will become a significantly better passer. Also, he seems to thrive on "broken plays", and I don't think that will translate very well to the pros. And I certainly think it's silly for people to want the Bills to pass on this years Qb crop, solely because he MIGHT declare for next years draft, and the Bills MIGHT get to select him, and He MIGHT become a better passer. He isn't Andrew Luck.

I think at best, he could become the next Doug Flutie.

Just the same, I don't know how people can assume that he will become a significantly better passer. Also, he seems to thrive on "broken plays", and I don't think that will translate very well to the pros. And I certainly think it's silly for people to want the Bills to pass on this years Qb crop, solely because he MIGHT declare for next years draft, and the Bills MIGHT get to select him, and He MIGHT become a better passer. He isn't Andrew Luck.

I think he could become the next Doug Flutie.

He's similar to Flutie but a lot more talented I think.

But next year's QB crop looks very strong so I agree it's kind of silly to pin all hopes on this one guy.

McCarron and Boyd were unbelievably good in their bowl games.

Bridgewater is supposed to be a very special player.

But I still want the Bills to draft a QB this year.

He's similar to Flutie but a lot more talented I think.

But next year's QB crop looks very strong so I agree it's kind of silly to pin all hopes on this one guy.

McCarron and Boyd were unbelievably good in their bowl games.

Bridgewater is supposed to be a very special player.

But I still want the Bills to draft a QB this year.

I guess "he is gonna suck" was a bit harsh. But all I see are broken plays, and mostly runs. I just don't think that will translate to the NFL. I think he is an AMAZING college player, and he is incredibly quick. Of course, in the NFL he will likely get crushed running around like that too.

I guess "he is gonna suck" was a bit harsh. But all I see are broken plays, and mostly runs. I just don't think that will translate to the NFL. I think he is an AMAZING college player, and he is incredibly quick. Of course, in the NFL he will likely get crushed running around like that too.

The only time I saw him play was his epic performance in the Cotton Bowl when he led the Aggies' destruction of the #11 Sooners and got the MVP.

I was impressed with how he ran to certain spots in the backfield to create unique passing angles. I'd never really seen that before.

I hate to say it in relation to football but it was almost artistic.

I think he could be a good NFL quarterback.

The only time I saw him play was his epic performance in the Cotton Bowl when he led the Aggies' destruction of the #11 Sooners and got the MVP.

I was impressed with how he ran to certain spots in the backfield to create unique passing angles. I'd never really seen that before.

I hate to say it in relation to football but it was almost artistic.

I think he could be a good NFL quarterback.

He does seem to have incredible instincts, and "eyes in the back of his head (helmet?)", and he is a pleasure to watch. I have watched a bunch of YouTube footage, and his highlight reel (I have also watched the full game play by play footage) is almost all runs. It's hard to find any plays where he just drops back and throws.

And one next year and one the year after...Until they luck out.

If they do draft one this year...they will probably need to draft another next year. The man that is doing the drafting is the same guy that said Chan Gailey is his HC for 2013 and beyond. He also stated he thought Gailey was one of the best offensive minds in the NFL.... the very same man now currently unemployed!

Isn't amazing how much Bills fans love their team! The circle jerk cycle of rebuilding never ends with the Buffalo buffoons in the FO, and yet games keep selling out year after year... All because Jim Kelly and Co. went to some super bowls two decades ago.

Edited by FeartheLosing

If Fitz is cut, I'd prefer to use the term "reborn" rather than "rebuild". We have won 16 games in three seasons. Cutting Fitz isn't putting us in any worse position than currently exists.

Not cutting him delays the "rebirth" by a year and puts us in the same cap hell next year. That's the real truth.

If they do draft one this year...they will probably need to draft another next year. The man that is doing the drafting is the same guy that said Chan Gailey is his HC for 2013 and beyond. He also stated he thought Gailey was one of the best offensive minds in the NFL.... the very same man now currently unemployed!

Isn't amazing how much Bills fans love their team! The circle jerk cycle of rebuilding never ends with the Buffalo buffoons in the FO, and yet games keep selling out year after year... All because Jim Kelly and Co. went to some super bowls two decades ago.

OMG dude. Relax. Please.

They didn't sign Jackson to be a #3 QB. They signed him to be a #2 qb (at least). And they are drafting a qb to compete with Jackson. All signs point to Fitz being cut.

I agree. Should happen soon. The only thing that gives me pause is why it hasn't happened already.

Essentially they want to ask Fitzpatrick to take a massive pay cut to be the backup here.

Would you do it if you were Fitzpatrick? the team is telling you that they are moving on, so you're going to cancel your big contract on your own volition to ride the pine for a team that just labelled you the "franchise" a year or so ago.

If I were Fitzpatrick I would call their bluff. If they cut him he can go sign with a team like Arizona where he is a new commodity and might have more of a shot.

They might as well release the man and let him continue his career somewhere else.

Essentially they want to ask Fitzpatrick to take a massive pay cut to be the backup here.

Would you do it if you were Fitzpatrick? the team is telling you that they are moving on, so you're going to cancel your big contract on your own volition to ride the pine for a team that just labelled you the "franchise" a year or so ago.

If I were Fitzpatrick I would call their bluff. If they cut him he can go sign with a team like Arizona where he is a new commodity and might have more of a shot.

They might as well release the man and let him continue his career somewhere else.

Yes! This is the dream scenario. Fitz gets cut, and one of the teams that select before the Bills pick him up and tell their fans that he is their new starter.Seriously,cutting Fitz might help them secure a Qb they like, because he can take a spot on another team. Cut him!

This, pretty much. Only inducement to restructure would be if he feels strongly he has a fair opportunity to compete for a starting job here - and it would certainly be against the Bills best interest to put anything concrete to that regard in a contract