The arguement for taking a QB in Rd. 1

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because no team (that I can think of) has ever drafted QBs in the first round in consecutive drafts, and the Bills are definitely not going to be the first. That is why. If you think that the best available QB prospect is another Blaine Gabbert, you are truly better off drafting no one than drafting him at #8. The Jaguars are STILL talking about building around Gabbert, even with a new coach and GM. Even if that's smoke, there's still the part where the Jags passed on taking another QB last year because they were committed to Gabbert.

Now, if the Bills wait even till the 2nd round to draft a QB, and he stinks, then we absolutely could see the Bills draft a QB in the 1st next year. But in the real world, giving up on a 1st-rounder after 1 year simply isn't done. And drafting another QB in the 1st is absolutely a form of giving up on the last guy.

As Dave said, it has been done and done with great success in that instance.

But the argument that it "simply isn't done" without a good reason to support why it shouldn't be done is not a valid reason.

That is exactly the kind of mindset that should be challenged by a downtrodden franchise.

I would further argue that today's college QB's are coming into the NFL more prepared than ever to step in and play to a level that makes it easier to judge what their ceiling is.

I mean, look at all the starts, passes attempted, TD's and yards accumulated that guys like Barkley, Geno Smith and Landry Jones bring to the table. It shouldn't take 3 years to find out if these guys have what it takes, they have been understudying in a pass happy college game for 3-4 years.

This isn't 1990 and it isn't even 2006. It's no mistake that in the past few seasons college QB's are coming out more prepared to play in the NFL and that the NFL is at the same time becoming a much friendlier place for young QB's to thrive in. Times have changed, it's no longer a "coddle a young QB for 3 years and hope he adapts to the pro game" kinda' league.

NOOOOO!!!!!

Why did you have to go and tempt fate by saying that.

Throw some salt over your shoulder or walk under a ladder or something quickly please. :death:

Oy! I'd rather not tempt fate when the Bills are concerned - although, statistically speaking - Fate ought to have something pretty spectacular in store for us by now!

But the argument that it "simply isn't done" without a good reason to support why it shouldn't be done is not a valid reason.

That is exactly the kind of mindset that should be challenged by a downtrodden franchise.

I would further argue that today's college QB's are coming into the NFL more prepared than ever to step in and play to a level that makes it easier to judge what their ceiling is.

I mean, look at all the starts, passes attempted, TD's and yards accumulated that guys like Barkley, Geno Smith and Landry Jones bring to the table. It shouldn't take 3 years to find out if these guys have what it takes, they have been understudying in a pass happy college game for 3-4 years.

This isn't 1990 and it isn't even 2006. It's no mistake that in the past few seasons college QB's are coming out more prepared to play in the NFL and that the NFL is at the same time becoming a much friendlier place for young QB's to thrive in. Times have changed, it's no longer a "coddle a young QB for 3 years and hope he adapts to the pro game" kinda' league.

Thanks for agreeing, but I already said that :)

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

A few years ago, I would've disagreed pretty strongly, simply due to the contract demands a first round QB would place on your franchise. But now, there isn't that much downside to using those picks on QBs.

A few years ago, I would've disagreed pretty strongly, simply due to the contract demands a first round QB would place on your franchise. But now, there isn't that much downside to using those picks on QBs.

I used to hear that argument a lot when I was advocating selecting QB's early until you get one......but the reality is that the other guys they drafted got paid the same as a QB would have. It wouldn't have made any difference financially. Unless one of those QB's turned out to be Brees, Flacco or Aaron Rodgers and then they had to re-sign them after their rookie contract was up. :thumbsup:

Glennon's pocket awareness is a little better than advertised. I suggest you go back, watch some games and come to your own conclusions.

Agreed. Glennon actually has pretty good pocket presence. He's good at making multiple reads under pressure with no protection. I still prefer Barkley, but wouldn't be at all upset with Glennon.

I used to hear that argument a lot when I was advocating selecting QB's early until you get one......but the reality is that the other guys they drafted got paid the same as a QB would have. It wouldn't have made any difference financially. Unless one of those QB's turned out to be Brees, Flacco or Aaron Rodgers and then they had to re-sign them after their rookie contract was up. :thumbsup:

I have to admit I never really investigated the numbers, so I may well have been mistaken. But either way, it's definitely not a concern now.

And they should take another one next year if there is any doubt that the one they drafted this year isn't going to work out.

You don't miss the playoffs for 13 years in a row because you didn't draft enough Stephon Gilmore's.

I defy anyone to show me how the Bills would be worse off than they are now if they had drafted a QB in the first round of every one of those 13 drafts.

Silly argument. I defy anyone to show me how they would be worse off if they took a punter every year.

Agreed. Glennon actually has pretty good pocket presence. He's good at making multiple reads under pressure with no protection. I still prefer Barkley, but wouldn't be at all upset with Glennon.

From everything I've read, I doubt Glennon is still in the NFL by 2016.

It's amazing when you look at the Cowboys in those years. Even though they used the 1990 #1 overall on Walsh, they still had another #1 pick in 1990, which they used on Emmitt Smith. In the 1991 draft, in the first three rounds they took Russell Maryland, Alvin Harper, Kelvin Pritchett, Dixon Edwards, Godfrey Miles, James Richards and Erik Williams. Williams, one of the best RTs I've ever seen, was the guy they got with the Saints 3rd round pick they traded for. They landed Leon Lett (a truly dominant player) in the seventh and Larry Brown in the 12th round. All of them had solid or better NFL careers except for Richards, who never played, and possibly Myles, who was in fact a solid backup and excellent special teamer from 1991-96 (he tore his ACL in the Super Bowl against the Steelers). I mean, Kelvin Pritchett lasted 14 seasons. Russell Maryland was never a truly dominant player, but was certainly good and probably should have won the Super Bowl MVP in the game against the Steelers (January 1996).

As for their 1992 second round pick, they took Jimmy Smith and Darren Woodson in order (36 and 37 overall), and I don't know which one was the Saints pick. It doesn't really matter though: both are arguably hall of fame players. Smith got hurt early on and the Cowboys stupidly dealt him, a mistake that Jerry Jones confessed to afterwards.

Here's the key thing though: when the Cowboys drafted all of these guys, they already had a pretty good QB.

Edited by dave mcbride

Silly argument. I defy anyone to show me how they would be worse off if they took a punter every year.

Congratulations. That's the point......those other positions don't make that much difference in the grand scheme if you don't have a quarterback.

All the hand-wringing and teeth gnashing about wasting a first round pick on a QB instead of "BPA" is nonsense.

The reason the Bills are where they are......and have been where they have been.....is because they haven't had a good quarterback.

But the point wasn't that the Bills could finish last in the AFC East every year either way.......it's that by simply drafting a QB with their first pick every year they would be BETTER. Much better actually.

if the Bills had simply taken the QB that was taken most recently following their pick they would have taken Drew Brees, Joe Flacco, and Aaron Rodgers. Three of the last 4 SB winning QB's. They'd still have taken Losman and some other busts but they would have also taken other successful QB's like Jay Cutler too. And so on....

What that really shows is that an organization needs to have a long term direction and that the draft is an ongoing process......not an isolated event that just happens every year.

It's amazing when you look at the Cowboys in those years. Even though they used the 1990 #1 overall on Walsh, they still had another #1 pick in 1990, which they used on Emmitt Smith. In the 1991 draft, in the first three rounds they took Russell Maryland, Alvin Harper, Kelvin Pritchett, Dixon Edwards, Godfrey Miles, James Richards and Erik Williams. Williams, one of the best RTs I've ever seen, was the guy they got with the Saints 3rd round pick they traded for. They landed Leon Lett (a truly dominant player) in the seventh and Larry Brown in the 12th round. All of them had solid or better NFL careers except for Richards, who never played, and possibly Myles, who was in fact a solid backup and excellent special teamer from 1991-96 (he tore his ACL in the Super Bowl against the Steelers). I mean, Kelvin Pritchett lasted 14 seasons. Russell Maryland was never a truly dominant player, but was certainly good and probably should have won the Super Bowl MVP in the game against the Steelers (January 1996).

As for their 1992 second round pick, they took Jimmy Smith and Darren Woodson in order (36 and 37 overall), and I don't know which one was the Saints pick. It doesn't really matter though: both are arguably hall of fame players. Smith got hurt early on and the Cowboys stupidly dealt him, a mistake that Jerry Jones confessed to afterwards.

Here's the key thing though: when the Cowboys drafted all of these guys, they already had a pretty good QB.

I always fall back on something Belichick said a few years ago........paraphrasing....."in order to be bad in the NFL you have to do A LOT of things bad".

It actually takes a lot of stupidity to string together 13 straight non-playoff seasons. The league is not set up to allow that kind of futility.

And the stupidest thing you can do is not realize that it begins and ends with the quarterback.

Once you have the QB, you don't need to do a whole lot of other things well to be a playoff contender.