Richard Sherman: I'm proof the draft process is a sham

truth on hold

"That's all it is, is a sham. The players that are going to be hyped, are going to be hyped," Sherman said on the "ATL Debate Club" podcast. "That's why you have half the first round as busts every year. You can go from now until the end of time. Guys have somehow maneuvered their way into the first round, maneuvered their way into the spotlight.

"As long as (draft analysts) talk about him all day all night, all day, all night, it's kind of like, 'Oh, that's why he went in the first round.' Then when they're doing nothing in the league nobody notices, they just don't say much about them. 'Oh, we didn't get that one wrong, he needs time to develop.' Then three years later, 'Still time to develop.'"

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000139550/article/richard-sherman-im-proof-the-draft-process-is-a-sham

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That and the fact that Sherman was a lanky kid that played WR for 3 years before swapping to corner and had a patellar tear on his resume and didnt blow away his drills with a 4.56 40 time.

So taking him in the first would've been a little bold.

This organization has a lot to prove

Because, the Bills organization has done this to all of us for years!

a **** covered floating ship of doom!

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/02/15/stranded-carnival-cruise-expected-to-dock-in-alabama-after-four-days-with/

Edited by KollegeStudnet

That and the fact that Sherman was a lanky kid that played WR for 3 years before swapping to corner and had a patellar tear on his resume and didnt blow away his drills with a 4.56 40 time.

But it is mostly crap shoot to gather up a player that lives up to expectations.

I truly think it weighs very heavily that the draftee is in the just right environment.

Having the right coaches walking a player from the college ranks to starting in the NFL is key. Whether its a position coach or strength coordinator.

Surviving the transition and getting up to speed physically and mentally is not a given.

But it is mostly crap shoot to gather up a player that lives up to expectations.

I truly think it weighs very heavily that the draftee is in the just right environment.

Having the right coaches walking a player from the college ranks to starting in the NFL is key. Whether its a position coach or strength coordinator.

Surviving the transition and getting up to speed physically and mentally is not a given.

There's a lot to it -

1) scheme drafted into

2) talent around them

3) vet and coach leadership

4) health

5) reaction to the pay check

Even if everything lines up, there's still some dumb luck in a game of inches.

There's a lot to it -

1) scheme drafted into

2) talent around them

3) vet and coach leadership

4) health

5) reaction to the pay check

Even if everything lines up, there's still some dumb luck in a game of inches.

And all these things should be accounted for, to create a good fit and drafting a long term asset right ?

Should be easy enough

As opposed to a Sam Bradford, QB who suffers a pair of major injuries to his throwing shoulder, 2nd of which requires surgery and ends his last season in college. Yet being the "chosen" goes #1 overall and signs the richest rookie contract in history, with a guaranteed $50 million, that could grow to as much as $86 million.

And after 3 years in NFL?: "still needs time to develop"

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Yeah all the GM's in the NFL are watching ESPN saying "I keep hearing his name, we can't place him as a second round talent". I think he's got it wrong. The analyst get their hype from getting information out of the teams.

Edited by Triple Threat

As opposed to a Sam Bradford, QB who suffers a pair of major injuries to his throwing shoulder, 2nd of which requires surgery and ends his last season in college. Yet being the "chosen" goes #1 overall and signs the richest rookie contract in history, with a guaranteed $50 million, that could grow to as much as $86 million.

And after 3 years in NFL?: "still needs time to develop"

Sometimes you post things that make me shake my head so many times that I don't even know where to start.....

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favor to men of skill; but time and chance happens to them all.

or as some 20th century wag amended "the race is not always won by the swift nor the battle won by the strong but that's the way to bet" sometimes favorites lose and long shots win and information is never complete and you hope your guy is better at gathering and interpreting the information than the other guys.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favor to men of skill; but time and chance happens to them all.

or as some 20th century wag amended "the race is not always won by the swift nor the battle won by the strong but that's the way to bet" sometimes favorites lose and long shots win and information is never complete and you hope your guy is better at gathering and interpreting the information than the other guys.

Yup.

Sometimes you post things that make me shake my head so many times that I don't even know where to start.....

Sam Bradford: the Rams still drafting ahead if the Bills 3 years after he's drafted, with stats worse than Fitz. But the Rams did back into the playoffs once.

PTR