Jon Gruden's Quarterback Camp participants

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe NFL teams won't try to block him. Not sure how that will help him with what appeared to be a lack of serious wheels and instincts, but the Bills have had good luck with Notre Dame players in the past. B-)

Right. Walt Patulski and Tony Hunter.

Seriously if Teo got destroyed by a college team, albeit the best one, how will he perform in the NFL where every team is better than Alabama?

PTR

So every player that got destroyed by Alabama has a poor chance to succeed? I don't understand. The best players in college football have bad games. Did you see Kobe Bryant go 1-8 and score 4 points vs the Phoenix Suns? Imagine what will happen when he plays OKC??!! Am I comparing Te'o to Kobe? No. I'm comparing a good player having a bad game. It happens. To everyone. Just so happens he did it on the biggest stage vs arguably the best college coach ever. Saban had 5 weeks to gameplan vs that defense. Brian Kelly and the ND DC didn't stand a chance, and neither did Te'o. I'm not saying he's a definite superstar, just saying that one game doesn't mean all that much to me. I figured you'd feel the same. He was a stud for his entire career at Nd.

Again...as good as Bama is EVERY NFL TEAM IS AS GOOD OR BETTER.

PTR

So you're saying that every player that has bad games won't succeed in the nfl? Every team in the nfl is better than every college team. If they have a bad game vs a college team, how can they succeed in the nfl? That's what you're saying.

Again...as good as Bama is EVERY NFL TEAM IS AS GOOD OR BETTER.

PTR

i don't need to type this now.

But to add to it, regardless of other players playing in his team or not, he was run over, a d passed over with ease in the national championship game. It had nothing to do with who else he can rely on being there. When it came to 1 on 1 with a running back he was bulldozed. When it came down to 1 on 1 with a TE he was punished for shotty coverage.

And these guys are nothing compared to the TEs, and RBs in the NFL. I won't even begin to talk about how he did 1 on 1 with the Alabama OLmen.

He just won't ever be good and ill believe that til he proves me wrong.

So every player that got destroyed by Alabama has a poor chance to succeed? I don't understand. The best players in college football have bad games. Did you see Kobe Bryant go 1-8 and score 4 points vs the Phoenix Suns? Imagine what will happen when he plays OKC??!! Am I comparing Te'o to Kobe? No. I'm comparing a good player having a bad game. It happens. To everyone. Just so happens he did it on the biggest stage vs arguably the best college coach ever. Saban had 5 weeks to gameplan vs that defense. Brian Kelly and the ND DC didn't stand a chance, and neither did Te'o. I'm not saying he's a definite superstar, just saying that one game doesn't mean all that much to me. I figured you'd feel the same. He was a stud for his entire career at Nd.

So you're saying that every player that has bad games won't succeed in the nfl? Every team in the nfl is better than every college team. If they have a bad game vs a college team, how can they succeed in the nfl? That's what you're saying.

FWIW, it Didnt just seem like Saban game planned for the ND defense. It really looked more like he saw the weak link on that defense and went right over him on their way to the first 3 touchdowns.

Teo was not game planned to stop, he was targeted in that game. And he failed the test miserably.

i don't need to type this now.

But to add to it, regardless of other players playing in his team or not, he was run over, a d passed over with ease in the national championship game. It had nothing to do with who else he can rely on being there. When it came to 1 on 1 with a running back he was bulldozed. When it came down to 1 on 1 with a TE he was punished for shotty coverage.

And these guys are nothing compared to the TEs, and RBs in the NFL. I won't even begin to talk about how he did 1 on 1 with the Alabama OLmen.

He just won't ever be good and ill believe that til he proves me wrong.

FWIW, it Didnt just seem like Saban game planned for the ND defense. It really looked more like he saw the weak link on that defense and went right over him on their way to the first 3 touchdowns.

Teo was not game planned to stop, he was targeted in that game. And he failed the test miserably.

So he's not going to be a good player because he played poorly in the national championship game? I don't think he's a superstar and think #8 is too high for him, but if we were picking in the 20s, I'd be ok with him. I love to grab him in rd 2.

And Eddie Lacy is nothing compared to nfl RBs? I'd have to disagree with that. He'll be joining them next year. As will the entire Alabama OL eventually.

Edited by NewEra

So he's not going to be a good player because he played poorly in the national championship game? I don't think he's a superstar and think #8 is too high for him, but if we were picking in the 20s, I'd be ok with him. I love to grab him in rd 2.

And Eddie Lacy is nothing compared to nfl RBs? I'd have to disagree with that. He'll be joining them next year. As will the entire Alabama OL eventually.

no need to get so angry bro.

I simply don't think he's good. And considering we pick at 8 and then again at 40, we won't need to worry about picking him at 20. But for the sale of your argument, NO!!! I wouldn't take him in the 20s. In fact I probably wouldn't take him at 40. Maybe if he snuck all the way into round 3 I might take a flyer on him. But personally I think he's going to be an absolute joke in the NFL. But that's just my opinion. I'm no Buddy Nix. Then again, I wouldn't have taken Torell Troupe either so I've got that going for me.

I don't know about the OL or RB from Alabama. Not do I need to know. They aren't NFL stars. They are college players. And those college players destroyed the college player were arguing about.

Saban didn't just gameplan for Teo. He targeted him. And Teo disappointed big time.

Edited by mrags

no need to get so angry bro.

I simply don't think he's good. And considering we pick at 8 and then again at 40, we won't need to worry about picking him at 20. But for the sale of your argument, NO!!! I wouldn't take him in the 20s. In fact I probably wouldn't take him at 40. Maybe if he snuck all the way into round 3 I might take a flyer on him. But personally I think he's going to be an absolute joke in the NFL. But that's just my opinion. I'm no Buddy Nix. Then again, I wouldn't have taken Torell Troupe either so I've got that going for me.

I don't know about the OL or RB from Alabama. Not do I need to know. They aren't NFL stars. They are college players. And those college players destroyed the college player were arguing about.

Saban didn't just gameplan for Teo. He targeted him. And Teo disappointed big time.

Ok. You don't like him. If its because you've seen him play in a handful of games and have made your assessment of him from watching his play, I understand. But if you watched him play one game, vs Alabama, and have concluded that he isn't going to be good because he didn't have a good game vs a bunch of "college players", and no college players are as good as pros.....then you should come up with different way to evaluate players. Many of these "college players" will be stepping in and starting in the NfL next year and would be starting in the nfl right now if they were eligible to enter the draft prior to their junior years. It's a very narrow minded way of thinking.

Ok. You don't like him. If its because you've seen him play in a handful of games and have made your assessment of him from watching his play, I understand. But if you watched him play one game, vs Alabama, and have concluded that he isn't going to be good because he didn't have a good game vs a bunch of "college players", and no college players are as good as pros.....then you should come up with different way to evaluate players. Many of these "college players" will be stepping in and starting in the NfL next year and would be starting in the nfl right now if they were eligible to enter the draft prior to their junior years. It's a very narrow minded way of thinking.

regardless of how I came to my conclusion, nobody will really know for another 3-5 years when we can declare that Teo is a solid NFL player or another bust led draft pick who was overhyped in college because of some stupid gimmick background. Weather it's because he's Hawaiian (of course we all love those Troy Polamalu guys), has a Heisman trophy run on his record, or because he's got a terrible life story.

We shall see my friend, we shall see.

Exactly. ;)

The problem with the "just one bad game" theory is that it doesn't explain away aspects of his performance like lack of speed, inability to get off blocks, lack of physicality. It can explain things like missteps, confusion, and perhaps even poor tackling. Still, the concern is that a small, slow ILB that can't cover at the NFL level isn't an every down player, at best.

Exactly. ;)

The problem with the "just one bad game" theory is that it doesn't explain away aspects of his performance like lack of speed, inability to get off blocks, lack of physicality. It can explain things like missteps, confusion, and perhaps even poor tackling. Still, the concern is that a small, slow ILB that can't cover at the NFL level isn't an every down player, at best.

Well put. But just for the record, the 'Bama game wasn't the first time Te'o showed lack of speed and athleticism. He and that entire defense were able to dominate against inferior competition but there were time during the season, even though they went undefeated, that teams beat them up a little, including Te'o. The Pitt and Stanford games come to mind. I watched both waiting for the second coming of Ray Lewis to show up after all the hype I'd heard, but Te'o wasn't even a poor imitation. He needs to help himself at the combine and pro day with good athletic measureables.

GO BILLS!!!

The reasoning there makes sense. PTR saying he wouldn't be good because he didn't play well in the Alabama game, vs "college players" doesn't. That means every player that has one bad game in college won't be a good pro because they had a bad game vs college players.

Maybe NFL teams won't try to block him. Not sure how that will help him with what appeared to be a lack of serious wheels and instincts, but the Bills have had good luck with Notre Dame players in the past. B-)

And let's not forget Greg Bell.

On the other hand, to be fair, Jeff Burris played some pretty good ball for us in the 90's.

Seriously if Teo got destroyed by a college team, albeit the best one, how will he perform in the NFL where every team is better than Alabama?

PTR

Pat Kirwan said on Sirius that Te'o got blown up similarly in the Stanford game. FWIW, his enthusiasm for Te'o cooled greatly after seeing those two game and said he'd prolly go in another direction.

Pat Kirwan said on Sirius that Te'o got blown up similarly in the Stanford game. FWIW, his enthusiasm for Te'o cooled greatly after seeing those two game and said he'd prolly go in another direction.

Some of us were saying that when the ND/Stanford game was in progress. Te'o wasn't even the best LB on his team that day as well.

GO BILLS!!!

Teo in 2012:

If this guy is a bust, then either it was a REALLY weak year for LB's in college, or the award system is a complete joke.

My personal take on NFL LB's is that they need to have a knack for shedding blocks. I rank this as a distinct #1 characteristic over sideline to sideline stuff, speed, hitting--even instincts. The NFL differs from college in that you ALWAYS have a body on you. A professional blocker whose only job is to slow you down enough to keep you from making the play.

In a lot of cases its a 300 pounder with the same athletic ability as you but arms that are a foot longer and 30% stronger than yours. (see the Bama game for example)

Shedding blocks is what inhibits guys like Shep from being good NFL linebackers, and from what I saw of Teo, he needs a lot of work in that area. Not sure if you can teach it though. Some dudes never get past it and are out of the league or relegated to special teams and backups their entire careers because of it. Time will tell.

I don't want the guy on our team, that's for sure.