David Harris to Buff?

Bash_Gash

NFL.com has the NY Jets in salary cap hell. 23 million over. That means a salary dump will happen. 4 other teams are in the same boat: Dallas, New Orleans, Carolina and Pittsburgh. Valuable vets might be available as free agents. March 12th, NFL free agency starts. It will be a date to look forward to.

Edited by Nitro

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow.

No wonder Tannenbaum is gone.

Also, it's gonna be hard for Rex to get out of this situation with a happy ending.

Not to defend Tannenbaum, as he did do a terrible job and has that team in salary hell...but when they drafted Sanchize killer, there was no rookie cap yet and top 10 picks, especially QB's were still getting stupid money. So the contract was standard and anyone who took Sachize Killer in the top 10 was gonna give him a ton of money too. However, them picking Sanchize Killer is on them...although I will admit I thought he was going to be better than he has been coming out of college too.

NFL.com has the NY Jets in salary cap hell. 23 million over. That means a salary dump will happen. 4 other teams are in the same boat: Dallas, New Orleans, Carolina and Pittsburgh. Valuable vets might be available as free agents. March 12th, NFL free agency starts. It will be a date to look forward to.

I had a look.....here are their players who will give them some needed cap room.....

OT Jason Smith: 12M

LB Calvin Pace: 8.56M

LB Bart Scott: 7.15M

DT Sione Pouha: 3.83M

S Eric Smith: 3M

No other player gives them anything more than 1.25M in cap relief if cut.

I imagine they will try and spread the pain to future years by restructuring players like Ferguson, Holmes & Cromartie.

Edited by Dibs

Not to defend Tannenbaum, as he did do a terrible job and has that team in salary hell...but when they drafted Sanchize killer, there was no rookie cap yet and top 10 picks, especially QB's were still getting stupid money. So the contract was standard and anyone who took Sachize Killer in the top 10 was gonna give him a ton of money too. However, them picking Sanchize Killer is on them...although I will admit I thought he was going to be better than he has been coming out of college too.

Tannenbaum just gave Sanchez an extension last year. Yeah......ouch

The deal includes $20.5 million in guarantees for 2012 and 2013 and $40.5 million in "new" money, bringing his total over five years to $58.25 million, according to sources. He can make an additional $10 million in escalators. The $58.25 million gives Sanchez the seventh-highest financial package among NFL quarterbacks, sources told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen.

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about that! Ok, I retract my previous post about the rookie contract, Tannenbaum was even worse than originally believed.

Ok, here is a fun question...whats worse:

Nix giving Fitz his new contract - remember It was early in the season, he had never had a winning season or gone to playoffs, he had always been woefully inaccurate, and was a turnover machine.

or

Tannenbaum giving Sanchize Killer his new contract - Never had been very consistent, never seemed to be a good decision maker, was also a turnover machine, however he did play better in the playoffs two years in a row and helped the team reach to AFC Champ games.

Both were terrible moves...both still affect the teams cap pretty bad (although Bills overall cap situation is much much better). Which was the worse move at the time the deal was given?

EDIT: DONT REPLY TO THIS ONE HERE, I ACTUALLY STARTED A POLL WITH THIS QUESTION...BELOW IS THE LINK:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/155709-pollwhos-contract-was-worse-fitzpick-or-sanchize/

Edited by Alphadawg7

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about that! Ok, I retract my previous post about the rookie contract, Tannenbaum was even worse than originally believed.

Ok, here is a fun question...whats worse:

Nix giving Fitz his new contract - remember It was early in the season, he had never had a winning season or gone to playoffs, he had always been woefully inaccurate, and was a turnover machine.

or

Tannenbaum giving Sanchize Killer his new contract - Never had been very consistent, never seemed to be a good decision maker, was also a turnover machine, however he did play better in the playoffs two years in a row and helped the team reach to AFC Champ games.

Both were terrible moves...both still affect the teams cap pretty bad (although Bills overall cap situation is much much better). Which was the worse move at the time the deal was given?

That's a very good question.

On the surface both deals seem relatively equal in stupidity.

Fitz was overpaid based upon a streaky run of good performances......having all cautious logic thrown to the wind.

Sanchez was overpaid to a higher level based upon team achievement, pedigree & "potential"......having all cautious logic thrown to the wind.

I would however say the worst one was Sachez.....as his deal seemed to totally ignore the salary cap hell that the team was heading into.

Not sure how much stock anyone puts in PFF rankings, but they had Harris as one of the worst ILBs in football last year.

I'm a fan, generally

I will say in this case his DC would know what he was asked to do and how well he accomplishes those tasks. That can be skewed in its own right though.... Still see it unlikely but if it does happen ill be optimistic.

I had a look.....here are their players who will give them some needed cap room.....

OT Jason Smith: 12M

LB Calvin Pace: 8.56M

LB Bart Scott: 7.15M

DT Sione Pouha: 3.83M

S Eric Smith: 3M

No other player gives them anything more than 1.25M in cap relief if cut.

I imagine they will try and spread the pain to future years by restructuring players like Ferguson, Holmes & Cromartie.

Don't forget that they will need about 6 million to sign draft picks.

The jets are not that bad off w the cap. They do. Different type of management thAn we do. I do not remember the full method but it is not as bad as it looks

You are going to need to explain.....or provide a link......otherwise I'm calling BS on this statement.

At this point the Jets cap number is $150+ Million. I listed above the players that they can simply cut to save some money....and there are not many.

They are going to have to do some major restructuring of their star players which will move their 2014 cap into trouble.

You are going to need to explain.....or provide a link......otherwise I'm calling BS on this statement.

At this point the Jets cap number is $150+ Million. I listed above the players that they can simply cut to save some money....and there are not many.

They are going to have to do some major restructuring of their star players which will move their 2014 cap into trouble.

http://www.nyjetscap.com/

Huh?.....What link in that page are you referring to?....did you link the wrong page?

That is the site where I got the information I posted in this thread......even the links in that page refer to the horrible situation the Jets are in.

The solution suggested in that link is exactly the same as what I listed above.....cut or renegotiate a lot of high priced players(they mention pay-cut option too).