Dale Watson takes on Blake Shelton...

Buftex

I realize, not many here who care for country music...but, if you are like me, I just can't get enough of that 50's, 60's honky-tonk stuff...and I, mostly, get frustrated when people like Taylor Swift and Rascal Flats get held up as being representative of what country music is. If that was country music, I would hate it too. Recently, drug-store Cowboy Blake Shelton (popular for some reason...or did he just marry well?) made some disparaging remarks about music fans (like me I suppose) who write off what he and his ilk as something less than genuine, and watered down, adult contemporary crap-ola. Shelton said these people are a bunch of "old farts" who carry on like "jackasses".

Anyways, the modern day purveyor of "real" country music, Dale Watson (my personal hero) came up with this little re-buttal to Blake Shelton...besides being a pretty funny little song, the picking is great!

I don't really care for 'either' side of this argument in terms of music. I will say, however, that anyone who so 'eloquently' sings the line..."I'd rather be an old fart, than a new country turd." is ok in my book. That's some funny stuff.

"I know I ain't a real smart 'feller, but I'd rather be that, than a real fart smeller"

Seems like this country "east / west coast rap" inspired antagonism has been going on for a while, and old Dale has done his fair share of givith ...

Yes...there has always been a "Texas Country" vs "Nashville Country" conflict. Dale, who admittedly is never going to sell records like Blake Shelton or any of those other pinheads, is probably the pureist "real country" artist out there right now...guy works his ass off, tours constantly just to get by. He lives here in Austin, has 3 regular weekly gigs (still fills the clubs, every time he plays, after nearly 20 years)....if he isn't in Austin, he is touring somewhere...in Europe at the moment. I implore anyone who likes his brand to keep an eye out for him in your town...he is a great live performer...hell of a good guy too.

From his first album, "Nashville Rash"

And, just in case you are interested, or curious, while Dale writes some great "novelty" songs, he can write a straight ahead honky-tonk song with the best of them.

Blake is riding a wave of popularity because he's on 'The Voice', IMO. I agree that a lot of the "Country" music on-Air is just a pop sound with a hint of Country to keep it honest. I think the pop count sound has evolved from the early-90s breakthrough of Garth Brooks, Travis Tritt, etc.

I'm not a Country fan but I do like the Southern sound of the Zac Brown Band. They were influenced by the Eagles in their ability to harmonize and I like it.

Yes...there has always been a "Texas Country" vs "Nashville Country" conflict. Dale, who admittedly is never going to sell records like Blake Shelton or any of those other pinheads, is probably the pureist "real country" artist out there right now...guy works his ass off, tours constantly just to get by. He lives here in Austin, has 3 regular weekly gigs (still fills the clubs, every time he plays, after nearly 20 years)....if he isn't in Austin, he is touring somewhere...in Europe at the moment. I implore anyone who likes his brand to keep an eye out for him in your town...he is a great live performer...hell of a good guy too.

From his first album, "Nashville Rash"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr4pfRb1viI

And, just in case you are interested, or curious, while Dale writes some great "novelty" songs, he can write a straight ahead honky-tonk song with the best of them.

Well he does seem kind of arrogant proclaiming himself the judge of what's "real" country and associating himself with the legends. Methinks maybe thats his angle for commercial success.

Blake Shelton and all those new folks to country ain't walked a mile in the shoes of their forefathers. They couldn't even hold a lick to those who a few decades ago, Travis Tritt, Garth, Alabama, Brooks and Dunn, etc. Hell, even Kenny Chesney, Tim McGraw, Dierks Bentley are more country then Blake freakin Shelton.

Miranda Lambert, sadly, is the only female voice in what is country music now. Taylor Swift is pop. Neither, though, hold a candle to Natalie Maines, who is by far one of the better performers in music overall.

Well he does seem kind of arrogant proclaiming himself the judge of what's "real" country and associating himself with the legends. Methinks maybe thats his angle for commercial success.

Yeah... I think he knows, and anyone who listens to "real" country music, hell, even pukes like Blake Shelton know the differnce... the guys who record for the love of the music, rather than for the love of money are the ones who are doing "real" country. He doesn't just "associate himself with the legends"..they associate with him as well.

Blake Shelton and all those new folks to country ain't walked a mile in the shoes of their forefathers. They couldn't even hold a lick to those who a few decades ago, Travis Tritt, Garth, Alabama, Brooks and Dunn, etc. Hell, even Kenny Chesney, Tim McGraw, Dierks Bentley are more country then Blake freakin Shelton.

Miranda Lambert, sadly, is the only female voice in what is country music now. Taylor Swift is pop. Neither, though, hold a candle to Natalie Maines, who is by far one of the better performers in music overall.

jboyst...I think Maines is a great singer too... but there are plenty of others out there, who don't sell the volumes of records.

My buddy Bruce Robison, and his wife Kelly Willis just put out a new album yesterday...here is a stream from the "No Depression" site...the whole album is fantastic (the kind of records that should be played on country radio, IMO), but if you listen to nothing else on it, just listen to track #4...I think Willis is one of the finest singers around.

http://www.nodepress...sg_com_blogpost

btw- Natalie Maines has a new rock album "Mother" (yup, the Pink Floyd song) coming out, I think, in June.

Edited by Buftex

I'd like country music more if it wasn't for the politics tied to it. You can't go to a show without getting a tea party lecture half way through.

PTR

Well... that may be true for some artists, but not all. Tim McGraw and Faith Hill (I am not a fan of either) are very prominent country artists who are also very committed Democrats. Both big Obama supporters. McGraw, in fact, at one time, was rumored to be interested in running for office in Mississippi.

You don't hear them speak of politics very often because they have very lucrative careers going, and they know (see the Dixie Chicks fiasco a few years ago) it would kill their careers. So, they remain a-poltical in their music. I prefer to keep it that way.

I think you are making a pretty broad generalization here...do Hank Williams Jr and Toby Keith represent all of country music? Using that logic, does Ted Nugent represent all of rock -n'roll?

I had a long post made, I lost it. I will try again.

This Week

1. Hunter Hayes - Wanted

2. The Band Perry - Better Dig Two

3. Tim McGraw - One Of Those Nights

4. Blake Shelton - Sure Be Cool If You Did

5. Gary Allan - Every Storm (Runs Out Of Rain)

6. Lady Antebellum - Downtown

7. Florida Georgia Line - Cruise

8. Carrie Underwood - Two Black Cadillacs

9. Jason Aldean with Luke Bryan and Eric Church - The Only Way I Know

10. Little Big Town - Tornado

Besides todays music being as cheesey and corny as ever the schtick wears thinner with the names. Luke Bryan? Eric Church? Dustin Lynch? Hunter Hayes? Lee Brice? All lame, and the music is horrible. Tim McGraw, Paisley, and Allan - it is sad that they are still putting out music because it is as bad as everything else out there.

1. Mark Wills - 19 Somethin'

2. Blake Shelton - The Baby

3. Terri Clark - I Just Wanna Be Mad

4. Aaron Lines - You Can't Hide Beautiful

5. Emerson Drive - Fall Into Me

6. Gary Allan - Man To Man

7. Brad Paisley - I Wish You'd Stay

8. George Strait - She'll Leave You With A Smile

9. Joe Nichols - Broken Heartsville

10. Dixie Chicks - Travelin' Soldier

Not the strongest lineup, but I actually know every song here. Paisley had a great hit there, Wills had a good song and it let you remember your life growing up. Emerson Drive was supposed to be ahead of their time but it's a good tune, and Shelton had a soft ballad there.

1. Travis Tritt - Can I Trust You With My Heart

2. Diamond Rio - In A Week Or Two

3. Doug Stone - Too Busy Being In Love

4. Wynonna - My Strongest Weakness

5. Reb McEntire - Take It Back

6. Confederate Railroad - Queen Of Memphis

7. John Anderson - Let Go Of The Stone

8. Randy Travis - Look Heart, No Hands

9. Suzy Bogguss - Drive South

10. Sawyer Brown - All These Years

Not one artist there that was not a mainstay of country music for anything less then a decade. The only song I do not know word for word is the John Anderson song. I could probably type the lyrics to every song, or sing along to them despite not having heard them in a very long time. Sawyer Brown is a band I miss.

Well... that may be true for some artists, but not all. Tim McGraw and Faith Hill (I am not a fan of either) are very prominent country artists who are also very committed Democrats. Both big Obama supporters. McGraw, in fact, at one time, was rumored to be interested in running for office in Mississippi.

You don't hear them speak of politics very often because they have very lucrative careers going, and they know (see the Dixie Chicks fiasco a few years ago) it would kill their careers. So, they remain a-poltical in their music. I prefer to keep it that way.

I think you are making a pretty broad generalization here...do Hank Williams Jr and Toby Keith represent all of country music? Using that logic, does Ted Nugent represent all of rock -n'roll?

It was a Big & Rich concert I saw. Right in the middle Rich goes into a big political rant. True you can't paint all artists that way, but there's no question you are safer ranting about the Dems at a country show.

PTR

It was a Big & Rich concert I saw. Right in the middle Rich goes into a big political rant. True you can't paint all artists that way, but there's no question you are safer ranting about the Dems at a country show.

PTR

Talk about fake ass singers. Those two right there are just aweful. What made you go?

PTR

All very true...but you are talking about a relatively few "big mouth" artists...many of them "old used to be" stars. There have been a fair number of rock artists (mostly metal dudes) who have taken to preaching about Obama destroying America...kind of a counter to the Springsteen and Bonos' of the genre. I know there are a lot of conservatives who love Springsteen...they deal with it. You can't really always let politics interefere where they are not relevant. Admittedly, whatever your political persuasion might be, Big & Rich are awful...what did you expect? :lol:

Honestly, I am a lefty, love "real" country music, and I know loads of people just like me. The artists that we like aren't the ones who are selling boat loads of records...just the ones that make great records...very excited, just found out tonight one of my all-time favorites (a closet lefty-commie pinko too!) Emmylou Harris is playing at the record store I work at, later in March. Also rumor that fellow lefty Willie Nelson will join her...