Dale Watson takes on Blake Shelton...

Buftex

Blake Shelton and all those new folks to country ain't walked a mile in the shoes of their forefathers. They couldn't even hold a lick to those who a few decades ago, Travis Tritt, Garth, Alabama, Brooks and Dunn, etc. Hell, even Kenny Chesney, Tim McGraw, Dierks Bentley are more country then Blake freakin Shelton.

Miranda Lambert, sadly, is the only female voice in what is country music now. Taylor Swift is pop. Neither, though, hold a candle to Natalie Maines, who is by far one of the better performers in music overall.

jboyst, I actually think their are a lot of really good singers in the country genre (real country and Nashville pop country) just that the songs normally suck, and like modern R-n'B, they just overdo the vocal pyro-technics and gymnastics...Sara Evans comes to mind. She has a fantastic country voice, but her albums/singles get worse with each release...to the point that you forget the lady (besides being gorgeous) can sing...her first two albums are great Nashville country....now she this 40-ish something woman is trying to compete with Taylor Swift, using autotuing and electronic flourishes. What a mess...a shame, cuz I really thought was going to have a long, respectable career.

Can't recommend Kelly Willis enough, if you like a great female country singer...she did the Nashville-country thing in the late 80's, early 90's...now she just does what she wants:

Edited by Buftex

All very true...but you are talking about a relatively few "big mouth" artists...many of them "old used to be" stars. There have been a fair number of rock artists (mostly metal dudes) who have taken to preaching about Obama destroying America...kind of a counter to the Springsteen and Bonos' of the genre. I know there are a lot of conservatives who love Springsteen...they deal with it. You can't really always let politics interefere where they are not relevant. Admittedly, whatever your political persuasion might be, Big & Rich are awful...what did you expect? :lol:

Honestly, I am a lefty, love "real" country music, and I know loads of people just like me. The artists that we like aren't the ones who are selling boat loads of records...just the ones that make great records...very excited, just found out tonight one of my all-time favorites (a closet lefty-commie pinko too!) Emmylou Harris is playing at the record store I work at, later in March. Also rumor that fellow lefty Willie Nelson will join her...

I am not gonna get to crazy w/the PPP talk... But it, politics, does have a bearing The lefties do lean more towards the folk side... Another is Gillian Welch. That is where it all began right? Bluegrass/folk.

You give Alison a minute of your time and tell me you aren't in love.

Allison Kraus is not the newer country... oh but yeah, I really like her. I can't think of the song of hers that just makes me melt, but it is a stretch of road I recognize up in WV.

I will check out Kelly Willis, as well.

Edited by jboyst62

Allison Kraus is not the newer country... oh but yeah, I really like her. I can't think of the song of hers that just makes me melt, but it is a stretch of road I recognize up in WV.

I will check out Kelly Willis, as well.

I mentioned Gillian Welch (w/David Rawlings)... She did the duet with Krauss on the Oh Brother Were Art Thou soundtrack... The cover of I'll Fly Away..

You might like?

• 2 weeks later...

I mentioned Gillian Welch (w/David Rawlings)... She did the duet with Krauss on the Oh Brother Were Art Thou soundtrack... The cover of I'll Fly Away..

You might like?

Jboyst...check out this Kelly Willis track....went to see her and Bruce Robison (her husband...amazing songwriter) last night...sounds great live or on record: