jboyst62: well worth repeating

So rather than talk about that, let's spend $4 million dollars on a 60 second commercial that exploits that depressing reality in order to sell a truck for a company that's no friend of the independent farmer. It'd be like Mercedes Benz doing a commercial in honor of all the holocaust victims.

So to recap, you find the commercial shameful because rather than talking about the problems facing farmers, they spent $4M on a 60-second commercial that has us, ummm, talking about the problems facing farmers.

Got it.

By the way...farmers, dying breed or not, use trucks. Ram makes trucks. Ram did an ad appealing to a segment of the world that uses trucks, and did so in a completely respectful way.

But some of you...well, you're just never going to be happy unless you have something to B word about.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's kinda funny though. Most Farmers that I know really either like Ford or Chevy, and a heartfelt commercial isn't gonna sway their opinion.

I don't know that there are enough farmer-loving non-farmers to make this commercial help out Dodge all that much.

Besides, what kind of farmer is gonna walk on a Chrysler/Dodge lot and buy the Ram 1500 that's sitting next to a Fiat?

I love Chevrolet, but I am happy with my Ford's, as well.

I'll never touch a Dodge, though, I am planning on buying a New Holland T7 in a few years:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_hmImgU9cnXI/TJJj1q-UFNI/AAAAAAAABjM/04jfdBhrQX4/s1600/10C21001.jpg

To recap the commercial:

I am an athiest.

I get up before dawn.

I check on the cows.

I go to work until 5 and home at 5:20.

Then go to farm by 5:45-6ish.

Then most nights I research things, do nonsense stuff like design labels, work out fertilizer spreadsheets, or go to meetings (like tonight) until 9.

I sat up all night with a newborn calf 3 or 4 weeks ago only to watch it die in the morning.

I don't shape axe handles from a simmon sprout, but I do know how to properly sharpen one, been a bit tho.

Horses are too damn expensive, but I can shoe a cow. (done for medical reasons usually).

I made a harness to pull a calf out of the shirt I was wearing on a winter day not long ago, made harness out of a vine in the Spring.

When fertilizer comes, I will be lucky to be in the house before 10 and hopefully spending all day in the rain to make sure it goes in the ground. I need to post that spreadsheet I did...

When hay season comes I average bed time slightly after 1 AM. And it beats you up, the ribs are sore, the back and neck from turning, it f'n hurts.

Heaved bales yesterday, round ones, too. I cleared more fenceline this past weekend.

Bottle fed an orphan calf yesterday.

I don't know if I'd stop to fix the leg of a meadowlark, but I once called around the state trying to find someone to adopt some baby squirrels that were in a tree I cut down.

If it isn't straight, and it is not done right, you're wasting your time. Cutting corners is only good when you're a chump.

seed, feed, rape, break, disc, plow, plant, etc... yeah, I usually hate all that breaking up of the soil (it's changed now a bit, direct seed drilling!). But, I am spreading about 300 lbs. of seed = $800 of high priced legumes this weekend.

Family - obviously, I am single.

My nephews better spend time here, my nieces, too. If I ever have a kid I'm hitchin his as to a mule.

So to recap, you find the commercial shameful because rather than talking about the problems facing farmers, they spent $4M on a 60-second commercial that has us, ummm, talking about the problems facing farmers.

Got it.

By the way...farmers, dying breed or not, use trucks. Ram makes trucks. Ram did an ad appealing to a segment of the world that uses trucks, and did so in a completely respectful way.

But some of you...well, you're just never going to be happy unless you have something to B word about.

I liked the potential of the commercial so much that when it turned out to be a Dodge commercial I was disappointed. It had the build up of something better.

It was a Superbowl ad, so it had to be selling something. It was just unfortunate that the farmer message had to be told in the form of an advertisement.

I liked the potential of the commercial so much that when it turned out to be a Dodge commercial I was disappointed. It had the build up of something better.

It was a Superbowl ad, so it had to be selling something. It was just unfortunate that the farmer message had to be told in the form of an advertisement.

Same here. I couldn't figure out where a new 40,000 dollar truck fit into the equation. If anything, they should have showed a 20 year old Ram truck... I would have ran out and bought a new one right away!

Same here. I couldn't figure out where a new 40,000 dollar truck fit into the equation. If anything, they should have showed a 20 year old Ram truck... I would have ran out and bought a new one right away!

First year they put a Cummins in it, for the record (1993).

Well no. That's just it. No one is talking about it. The overwhelming majority just thought "gee, what an awesome commercial". Very few, if any outside this thread, brought up the irony of the ad.

Which is why I brought it up.

Are you joking, or serious? I can put you to work, son. If you are trying to sound disrespectful, I will bite my tongue. I have no time for you, and if only you had no time for the farmer.

Go look at your empty plate.

um mcfly, two things

first im pretty sure he was stating he would rather feel hungry and 'good tired' working for himself than exploited and used up by someone else

secondly, you said youd hold your tongue then you didnt. so not really your best moment

um mcfly, two things

first im pretty sure he was stating he would rather feel hungry and 'good tired' working for himself than exploited and used up by someone else

secondly, you said youd hold your tongue then you didnt. so not really your best moment

Your logic is valid. You get a full plate... jerk.

Still, it just sucks to be thought of as used and exploited. We all are, I mean we're the 99%, right? :nana:

my gparent used to own a farm about four miles from my folks house and we used to go over there all the time to work on it as well as partake in the wealth of goodies it produced. i generally despised the work, mainly bc i had bad allergies and would come home miserable with breathing difficulties, welts on my skin, and just plain dirty all over. but i sure am mighty appreciative of those that choose to do that work and dont mind spending lots of money at their roadside stands and markets. loved that paul harvey bit too

To recap the commercial:

I am an athiest.

I get up before dawn.

I check on the cows.

I go to work until 5 and home at 5:20.

Then go to farm by 5:45-6ish.

Then most nights I research things, do nonsense stuff like design labels, work out fertilizer spreadsheets, or go to meetings (like tonight) until 9.

I sat up all night with a newborn calf 3 or 4 weeks ago only to watch it die in the morning.

I don't shape axe handles from a simmon sprout, but I do know how to properly sharpen one, been a bit tho.

Horses are too damn expensive, but I can shoe a cow. (done for medical reasons usually).

I made a harness to pull a calf out of the shirt I was wearing on a winter day not long ago, made harness out of a vine in the Spring.

When fertilizer comes, I will be lucky to be in the house before 10 and hopefully spending all day in the rain to make sure it goes in the ground. I need to post that spreadsheet I did...

When hay season comes I average bed time slightly after 1 AM. And it beats you up, the ribs are sore, the back and neck from turning, it f'n hurts.

Heaved bales yesterday, round ones, too. I cleared more fenceline this past weekend.

Bottle fed an orphan calf yesterday.

I don't know if I'd stop to fix the leg of a meadowlark, but I once called around the state trying to find someone to adopt some baby squirrels that were in a tree I cut down.

If it isn't straight, and it is not done right, you're wasting your time. Cutting corners is only good when you're a chump.

seed, feed, rape, break, disc, plow, plant, etc... yeah, I usually hate all that breaking up of the soil (it's changed now a bit, direct seed drilling!). But, I am spreading about 300 lbs. of seed = $800 of high priced legumes this weekend.

Family - obviously, I am single.

My nephews better spend time here, my nieces, too. If I ever have a kid I'm hitchin his as to a mule.

Jesus Christ, no wonder youre pissed at people like me out for a bike ride.

I was paying a compliment.

I wasn't :nana:

You know it's all in good fun, buddy. I have thought about joining the gym again recently. I need that. I have friends who do crossfit who come to my farm to work with me just to get a workout - and insist that I could do the workouts with them...but that's just it - I am already doing them! Anyway, in my life I need that dichotomy. I need places, chapters, and sequences to separate me from many things. I like work to stay at work, farm to stay at farm, my life to stay in my house, hobbies to stay as hobbies - otherwise I get too consumed. INTJ OCD stuff I guess, but I have thought about getting in to kayaking or bicycling but they are too dangerous to be doing alone in the country.

I wasn't :nana:

You know it's all in good fun, buddy. I have thought about joining the gym again recently. I need that. I have friends who do crossfit who come to my farm to work with me just to get a workout - and insist that I could do the workouts with them...but that's just it - I am already doing them! Anyway, in my life I need that dichotomy. I need places, chapters, and sequences to separate me from many things. I like work to stay at work, farm to stay at farm, my life to stay in my house, hobbies to stay as hobbies - otherwise I get too consumed. INTJ OCD stuff I guess, but I have thought about getting in to kayaking or bicycling but they are too dangerous to be doing alone in the country.

You're afraid to go bicycling alone?

You're afraid to go bicycling alone?

In the country, around here, yeah. I live in redneckville. Wouldn't be hard to get hit by someone, a lot of elderly here, and/or harassed.

I generally do anything I can to get outside.