Base Nickel Defense

It is long overdue for DCs to look at the nickel as your base defense in the modern NFL. How these guys put so much work into archaic alignments that they will barely use is beyond me. Within the nickel you have 4 primary combos of DL to LB that offer a tremendous amount of versatility against heavy run sets and spread sets.

:thumbsup: x 1,000,000,000

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mentally we don't know if he will be happy. When your cornerstone guy is a question mark, it makes for a long offseason of wondering what we will see in September.

No Saint i want to mention that the whole Mario gets a fridge and play "his" side of the line irked me.

So I watched for that, to see if they ever flipped or took him off the line of scrimmage.

I dont know if there are stats to support it but i would swear i saw him moving side to side.

Cant see him getting kid gloves from his new coach Weaver. Look very bad.

He'll move if he billieves he will be effective

Yeah I don't think he'll play the prima dona act. I think he's wise enough to know that for the money he's getting paid, that he'll do what he's told and shut up.

Besides that, he has to buy-in to the new coaching staff in order to help lead the team to success.

I believe that he'll be a good soldier.

In blitz packages which wade does a lot or playing the run definitely! In nickel they will use 4 downlineman NOT 3.

That's always been the case with most 34 teams to bring in an extra down lineman in obvious passing situations. I fully understand where Wade Phillips is coming from but I'm more old school when it comes to the actual personnel groups on the field at any given time. When he's rushing five, it's usually 3 DL and 2 LBs from the edges, with 2 inside LBs for support; a basic 34. Obviously, when he goes to nickel he's taking out an LB.

GO BILLS!!!

In the grand scheme either way really doesn't make a difference to the point that Mario has been scheme diverse in the past but seemingly was very locked into wanting to not just play 43 end but return to 100% the same side too.

Physically, he's a talented edge rusher. Mentally we don't know if he will be happy. When your cornerstone guy is a question mark, it makes for a long offseason of wondering what we will see in September.

Just to be clear, I am not arguing the pros and cons of MW in the 34 at all. That's an entirely different discussion for me. I'm sure he can play without a hand on the ground but I'm not confident at all that he can be effective in coverage.

GO BILLS!!!

Just to be clear, I am not arguing the pros and cons of MW in the 34 at all. That's an entirely different discussion for me. I'm sure he can play without a hand on the ground but I'm not confident at all that he can be effective in coverage.

GO BILLS!!!

And that's the next logical stop in the conversation.

How many of the elite 3-4 rush backers are any good in coverage?

How many going back to the seminal guy, Lawrence Taylor, are even asked to play coverage?

Does it hurt the Bills if Mario is a 3-4 backer with some deficiencies in coverage?

And of course many of us are assuming that he'll play that position but we don't really know that for sure.

George Edwards ran a 5-2 defense here just 2 seasons ago. People went back and pulled up scouting reports on Chris Kelsay and pointed to him being a tweener and a natural fit as a hybrid DE/OLB in that defense. To say that asking Kelsay to play in space was a joke would be an understatement. Edwards also tried playing Spencer Johnson at the position, which allowed offenses to run around the edge of the defense at will.

I'm not sure I want to see Mario Williams running with TEs and RBs down the seam.

Build the scheme around the guys you've got.

Quite an in depth post J and very coherent.

I got caught up with your asssignments and feel that if Coach Mike thinks like you do we could make some hay with what we have.

But as i am sure you will agree. draft defense and upgrade. whether it's dt de cb lb or a safety even

It has been mentioned before , a Free agent CB with experience , on the outside and opposite Gilmore would go a long way this year to allow the defense to open up the playbook and " get after it ".

I failed to mention that having Anderson inside the TE he would be able to chip him, helping the next level player cover him or from getting the quick block. On Gronk it's all about timing - the whole Patriots for that matter.

i didnt realize david boston was back in the league

say whaaaaaat?

And that's the next logical stop in the conversation.

How many of the elite 3-4 rush backers are any good in coverage?

How many going back to the seminal guy, Lawrence Taylor, are even asked to play coverage?

Does it hurt the Bills if Mario is a 3-4 backer with some deficiencies in coverage?

And of course many of us are assuming that he'll play that position but we don't really know that for sure.

I am not worried about trying to keep Mario happy. I think if we put him in a position to succeed he will be happy. If we put him in a position where he cannot he may grow content and complacent.

Agreed....Bryan Scott clearly is not a linebacker or a safety. He definitely is not a nickle linebacker. He needs to go away, and I suspect he will.

He needs to stay just not play....he can back up at safety, play an emergency linebacker, plus a decent special teamer. and cheap. With a 53 man roster you need guys like that, especially when you sign 2 kickers.

#Bills DC Mike Pettine: "With pass happy league, our 3rd down [nickel] defense will likely be our base package."@WGRZpic.twitter.com/ciUWvGTT

Interesting. Who would we be putting where? If we're basing everything around the nickel, we'd probably need to sink some extra talent into our DBs.

running the 3-3-5

I think Williams would be better served as DE in JJ Watt mode.

Hey man thats my line !

Move him around, but he nearly always rushes the passer no matter where/how he lines up.

J i agree even kelsay could disrupt a TE timing pattern.

He doesnt need to cover just unbalance him.

A defensive chipping if you will.

This whole post has me looking forward again to next season. again.

I worked on some more of this playing around, but do not have time to get in to it tonight... I will update this tomorrow I hope with a solid post. In the mean time we need a good MLB or a Bianca Wilfork at NT.

And he's still head, shoulders, torso, thighs, and knees above what the Bills have at LB. B-)

My only thought... Chris Kelsay was once our best LB. Seriously...just... :wallbash: