Base Nickel Defense

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't Super Mario say one of the reasons he signed with the Bills was he wanted to play DE in a 4-3? Now, we're to assume that he's a stud OLB in a 3-4?

I think that because Mario had 5 sacks in 5 games as a LB in 2011 (before going on IR) that people here are hopeful that he can make the transition.

I think that because Mario had 5 sacks in 5 games as a LB in 2011 (before going on IR) that people here are hopeful that he can make the transition.

He certainly has the ability but moving people after a pay day is a risky play. He seemed not just to want to play 43de but to pick his side and not move. Hopefully he finds it a fun surprise and not an inconvenience.

He did say he wanted to stay in Houston though, which is a 34, so we really can't hang on every word or rumor from these guys.

He certainly has the ability but moving people after a pay day is a risky play. He seemed not just to want to play 43de but to pick his side and not move. Hopefully he finds it a fun surprise and not an inconvenience.

He did say he wanted to stay in Houston though, which is a 34, so we really can't hang on every word or rumor from these guys.

Houston doesn't run a 34. They run a 52.

Interesting... very interesting.... but, like anything, it's hardly news from OBD.

Alright, so we know sub packages are big in todays NFL. We know that in New Jersey he could put Revis on a player, effectively making the game 10-10. Removing the QB or ball carrier, as often the best way to evaluate this type of structure, you have it 10-9. In New Jersey he had good pressure from an underrated DL, whether 3 or 4 were in there. I think they had a better front with 1 DE, and 2 DT's, when running a 3 man front. Their LB's can hold their own and excel in closing angles to the ball, while the OLB's are able to funnel the play to the middle of the field. This is a lot different then what we have in Buffalo. It will be a great test for Pettine.

In Buffalo we have better DE's for a 3 man front then we do DT's, opposite of New Jersey. I am thinking with Anderson fully recovered he is big enough to hold the strong side of the field, with Dareus quick enough to make up for the lack of "oomph" that other NT's like Bianca Wilfork have, but still could be a liability, especially given that we have many issues at MLB. A good nickel can make up for issues on the DL, but a better nickel makes up for issues at LB.

Our nickel would need to be a 3-3-5, vs. a 3-4-4 hybrid where we used Bryan Scott as the package player. This is not saying Scott would not be proficient at nickel.

o9fkO6o.jpg

With Dareus shaded outside 1 he can keep from having direct contact against a blocker, however this opens up the next level (LB's). He would have to play strong, but we cannot afford to play Dareus heads up and outstrength players.

Anderson can take care of business when all he has to do is defeat his blockers and contain, leaving Williams on the other side in an island. I would love this to be a Mario Williams island defense. The guy looked unstoppable last year, and anyone who did not see it - wise up - the guy is going to be MVP level in 2013.

While I would like to believe Shephard suffered because he got raped by offensive lineman, I also think he needs to pick up a step in quickness. Him playing right over the center, between the 2's is going to be where he has to be. If he cannot do that, get someone who can.

Barnett could not shed a towel in 2012. He needs to be protected behind a DE, he needs to count on the MLB to make the plays, and we need to count on him to steer the action to the MLB because Barnett can't make the plays to stop the run.

Bradham is the highest on the depth chart. All he needs to do is stop, hit, and destroy anything in front of him. When the TE crosses his face, put him on his ass, when the RB tries to stop him from the QB eat him alive, when Brady eyes get as big as saucers, kill him. Bradham, or whoever our SLB is needs 1 mission, get to the ball and destroy who holds it, anything in his way, move it.

If our CB's play 10 yards off again I am going to throw a fit. If we play face to face with Williams I am going to write OBD a long letter and remind them that this guy forgets he has to cover a player after he hand fights them. The CB's need to press their guy, turn, and stay on their man for at least 3 seconds. Anything more, see below.

George Wilson needs to be reeled in. Be reminded he is a good player because of his awareness and recognition, and that in 2011 he always got to the right place. If he cannot get back to that 2011 form, we need to move on, because our CB's will get beat deep - it happens. Spare me your PFF scoring system, Wilson struggled in 2011. He needs to get to where the ball is going to be, not where the ball was...aka pulling a Whitner. I want him 8 to 12 yards, no more, and facing the RB and and TE in front of him only. His catch up angles are not good enough.

Byrd needs to be unleashed, the complete opposite of Wilson. He needs to be a featured defender who can find the QB's eyes and break on it. His speed is lacking, and he just needs to be kept somewhere in the backfield and allowed to find his own spot, let him play on instinct. All action must be in front of him, all action must be contained.

Bryan Scott/Nickel back (almost the same for a monster back). As I said before this is a 10 on 9 game in Pettines mind. If he plays Byrd like he needs to then Byrd is his own defense, and it is 9 on 9, but all the same, the nickel is the extra player, the nickel in many packages cannot cover Gronkowski or a large downfield threat, they just aren't that good on any team in the league. That is why I want him watching Bradham's ass. If you play off what Bradham is doing, if you focus on what is happening to your LB you can play to the rest of it, and you let the two of them create a layer. Bradham is 5 yards in front, Scott is 5-8 yards, with it growing across the middle as the play develops. If Wilson and Byrd cannot be responsible for the middle beyond 8 yards then it makes no difference what the nickel can or can't do.

J

ust my .02$

The Bills do not have 6 LB's. If I imagined something fun like that, a 2-5-4, or something, I'd put Anderson dropping back on the same side as Mario Williams. If not for his coverage and anchoring the flat it would confuse most any QB and instantly cause him to look deep.

We have proven DL talent, quality safeties, adequate CB's, and questions at LB. Our overall talent at LB is not awful, but there are no great players.

Quite an in depth post J and very coherent.

I got caught up with your asssignments and feel that if Coach Mike thinks like you do we could make some hay with what we have.

But as i am sure you will agree. draft defense and upgrade. whether it's dt de cb lb or a safety even

It has been mentioned before , a Free agent CB with experience , on the outside and opposite Gilmore would go a long way this year to allow the defense to open up the playbook and " get after it ".

Perhaps as it meets the eye, but not in football parlance. It's a 34. More specifically, it's a Bum Phillips, one-gap 34.

GO BILLS!!!

Not according to Wade Phillips.

They say ‘3-4’, ‘4-3’, all that,” Phillips said at the Texans' annual Charity Golf Classic. “We really play a 5-2. We play five defensive linemen that can rush the passer and two inside 'backers who can tackle people. And we think Mario certainly fits in there.”

In that 5-2 front, Williams will often be standing up on the right edge of the defensive line as the Will (weakside outside) linebacker.

In the nickel package it is 42.

They say ‘3-4’, ‘4-3’, all that,” Phillips said at the Texans' annual Charity Golf Classic. “We really play a 5-2. We play five defensive linemen that can rush the passer and two inside 'backers who can tackle people. And we think Mario certainly fits in there.”

In that 5-2 front, Williams will often be standing up on the right edge of the defensive line as the Will (weakside outside) linebacker.

Well, I'm certainly not going to argue with Wade Phillips, but I can imagine Bum having some interesting dinner conversation over the matter. They can argue what constitutes an OLB and a DE with or without a hand on the ground and those that do or don't have coverage responsibilities.

GO BILLS!!!

Well, I'm certainly not going to argue with Wade Phillips, but I can imagine Bum having some interesting dinner conversation over the matter. They can argue what constitutes an OLB and a DE with or without a hand on the ground and those that do or don't have coverage responsibilities.

GO BILLS!!!

Mario is considered the 3rd linebacker in that scheme, I don't see anywhere them using 4 linebackers in their base and nickel.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Do they ever throw the flag for too many men on the field or is it just OK to do that in Madden?

"43 is the mike. 43 is the mike."

Christ. If I see Bryan Scott playing LB in ANY of our defensive schemes, I'll puke.

GO BILLS!!!

it's exactly what I was looking for...

"43 IS THE MIKE". Kinda symbolizes the 2012 season.

Mario is considered the 3rd linebacker in that scheme, I don't see anywhere them using 4 linebackers in their base and nickel.

I understand and conversly, I don't see them using 5 defensive linemen in their base defense, either.

GO BILLS!!!

I understand and conversly, I don't see them using 5 defensive linemen in their base defense, either.

GO BILLS!!!

In the grand scheme either way really doesn't make a difference to the point that Mario has been scheme diverse in the past but seemingly was very locked into wanting to not just play 43 end but return to 100% the same side too.

Physically, he's a talented edge rusher. Mentally we don't know if he will be happy. When your cornerstone guy is a question mark, it makes for a long offseason of wondering what we will see in September.

In the grand scheme either way really doesn't make a difference to the point that Mario has been scheme diverse in the past but seemingly was very locked into wanting to not just play 43 end but return to 100% the same side too.

Physically, he's a talented edge rusher. Mentally we don't know if he will be happy. When your cornerstone guy is a question mark, it makes for a long offseason of wondering what we will see in September.

No Saint i want to mention that the whole Mario gets a fridge and play "his" side of the line irked me.

So watched for that, to see if they ever flipped or took him off the line of scrimmage.

I dont know if there are stats to support it but i would swear i saw him moving side to side.

Cant see him getting kid gloves from his new coach Weaver. Look very bad.

He'll move if he billieves he will be effective

This sounds like the defense that the Bills should play- M Williams, Carrington, Dareus, K Williams and Anderson/Kelsay as the 5 DL. Could always drop Williams or Anderson/Kelsay into coverage as occasional surprise moves to turn it into a 4-3 or 3-4 look.

The whole key is upgrading at MLB. We have flexibility on the line and in the backfield especially if they bring back McKelvin. A. Williams or Searcy can be the third safety and Brooks and McKelvin will play DB. I believe they franchise Byrd.

The whole key is uprgrading our LB's. I would not be shocked if even Bradham has a limited role exclusive only to a true 4-3 agaisnt teasm that use less spread offenses. The trick will be to figure out if Barnett has anything left to give. I doubt it and I would cut him as he can't do much for special teams. Another idea would be giving Anderson snaps at OLB and playing Dareus at DE with K. Williams and Carrington at DT.

I think it matters a lot. I would think he would be asked to do much less in coverage in base 52 than a 3-4. In nickel he would still purely be a pass rusher. On a blitz he might be lined up on the line, but drops back into zone. But it predecates an agressive scheme.

Right, but what I was getting at is once his hand came off the ground it showed he had some diversity to his game. Whether primarily 5-2 or 3-4, I will say with conviction he won't be asked to do anything next year that he didnt do that year. Sure it might skew a little differently but mario at olb isn't suddenly going to be playing in coverage that often, he's going to be an outside rusher with his hand off the ground - something he's shown to do well. Wilson using his OLBs as heavy pass rushers isn't totally reinventing the wheel