Cats : The silent killers

Just Jack

i have a mouse problem in my house and could use a rent a cat. unfortunately, my dogs run off any cat that comes within 20 yards of the property and would probably kill one if i actually brought one in. but they won't hunt mice/rats. wonder why that is? they chase just about anything else. anyway, conventional mousetraps have been an utter failure. ultrasonic devices have helped a bit but there still in my house. poison worries me as i don't want to have a dad rodent stinking up the house and have to fish it out from the ductwork etc (and i don't want my dogs getting into it). anybody here an expert on mouse killing?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you need mr. jinks...he hates those meeses

http://youtu.be/hlr_e4dsX5s

i have a mouse problem in my house and could use a rent a cat. unfortunately, my dogs run off any cat that comes within 20 yards of the property and would probably kill one if i actually brought one in. but they won't hunt mice/rats. wonder why that is? they chase just about anything else. anyway, conventional mousetraps have been an utter failure. ultrasonic devices have helped a bit but there still in my house. poison worries me as i don't want to have a dad rodent stinking up the house and have to fish it out from the ductwork etc (and i don't want my dogs getting into it). anybody here an expert on mouse killing?

yup, i remember that. and real life mice are pretty smart, too (smarter than victor mouse traps, that's for sure). but cats are even smarter...

It all depends... We live near a field and used to get a few mice here and there. We always had a cat and now we have 3 cats (not my doing, been vetoed!) They are all indoor cats... No sign of mice anymore. Those ultrasonic things do seem to work? Plugged in for years... But then Decon baits on the outside (underneath the kitchen window overhang) probably help too? Just be careful with the poison outside, that nothing else gets into it. Anyway, doesn't the poison "embalm" them? I guess you still don't dead mice all over the place...

Oh... About the Victor traps... Early this winter... I was getting really lucky @ work and cleaned out about 4 or 5 before they could make a winter home. I would also bait them with cheese (I know the trap says "baitless"). Stick them along the wall where the mice move.

It all depends... We live near a field and used to get a few mice here and there. We always had a cat and now we have 3 cats (not my doing, been vetoed!) They are all indoor cats... No sign of mice anymore. Those ultrasonic things do seem to work? Plugged in for years... But then Decon baits on the outside (underneath the kitchen window overhang) probably help too? Just be careful with the poison outside, that nothing else gets into it. Anyway, doesn't the poison "embalm" them? I guess you still don't dead mice all over the place...

Oh... About the Victor traps... Early this winter... I was getting really lucky @ work and cleaned out about 4 or 5 before they could make a winter home. I would also bait them with cheese (I know the trap says "baitless"). Stick them along the wall where the mice move.

thanks for the advice. didn't know about the embalming thing....interesting. my last dogs killed a few rats (and birds) and always proudly dropped them in a conspicuous place but never mice. maybe they're too quick for dogs?

thanks for the advice. didn't know about the embalming thing....interesting. my last dogs killed a few rats (and birds) and always proudly dropped them in a conspicuous place but never mice. maybe they're too quick for dogs?

I am not sure about that. I am not sure where I read or heard that. You would think the poison would do more than just kill them? After all, they will die in walls and what not... I would hope the chemical would act as a preservative and "dry up" the dead animal as much as possible?

Yup...for me Facebook is like my beer, music and off the wall stories blog...I try and stay away from detailing everything I do or place I go during the course of my day...unless I think someone would find it interesting....

" On the bus to work...its windy and I have the most adorable and smart children.."

One of my high school friends will post every morning about what she's doing to get ready for work, etc. Then again in the evening with how work was, dinner, etc. Every day. At least it's only two posts a day though.

the way i'd always heard it was the poison caused severe dehydration causing the animals to go out in search of a water source, presumably outside thereby reducing the chance of the animals dying inside...

I am not sure about that. I am not sure where I read or heard that. You would think the poison would do more than just kill them? After all, they will die in walls and what not... I would hope the chemical would act as a preservative and "dry up" the dead animal as much as possible?

I guess now we will be exterminating cars too.

PTR

Wow, does that mean you will be riding a bike from now on?

You go out at night, eatin' cars

You eat Cadillacs, Lincolns too

Mercuries and Subarus

And you don't stop, you keep on eatin' cars

I guess now we will be exterminating cars too.

PTR

You go out at night, eatin' cars

You eat Cadillacs, Lincolns too

Mercuries and Subarus

And you don't stop, you keep on eatin' cars

BLONDIE!!! Well played!

I've grown up with cats my entire life. Like John, I now have three; like Dibs, mine are all indoor cats Two of the three have grown up with our dog, so the dog thinks she's a cat and the cats think they're dogs (one of them always gets some dog food at feeding time before the dog digs in).

It's my belief that people who hate cats really just hate the fact that the cats really don't need them.

This is exactly what I've always believed about people who hate cats. Their independence is one of the things I love about them.

My cat when I was a kid was a stray cat we picked up. She was a total street fighter. This was back in the days of free range dogs...........Dogs would be walking down the street, see her standing in the middle of our yard. They would cross the street to pass our house, and then go back on our side to keep walking.

It's my belief that people who hate cats really just hate the fact that the cats really don't need them.

I have two Burmese, sometimes known as dog-cats due to them having many attributes normally associated with dogs.

They "bond" with their owner. They come rushing to the door to greet you, being very happy to see you when you get home . They want to spend a lot of time with you and not just to be fed. They come when called, can be taught to fetch, and generally do a lot more than a standard cat that will simply sleep & eat.

It's like having the best of both worlds.

I have two Burmese, sometimes known as dog-cats due to them having many attributes normally associated with dogs.

They "bond" with their owner. They come rushing to the door to greet you, being very happy to see you when you get home . They want to spend a lot of time with you and not just to be fed. They come when called, can be taught to fetch, and generally do a lot more than a standard cat that will simply sleep & eat.

I'm going to have to look into those. I got super lucky with my current cat, who is almost 17 years old now..........Since Day One we all said she is a dog that just looks like a cat - she does all that stuff that you're talking about..........It really is the best of both worlds.

All three of our cats are like that and they are all shelter cats... Always around, even when vistors come... It is incredible. The were constantly held and "mauled" as kittens... Even now! The oldest is gonna be 4 and the two others are gonna be 2. The two came as pair and aren't even related... All males. I have never seen anything like it... Always around people... Even strangers!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

ok, but is any burglar likely to move on to the next house when he see's a sign "beware of cat"?