Bills extend Toronto Series by 5 more years

FluffHead

Every once in a while I do a Google search on Toronto and the NFL just to see what turns up. Hadn't done one in a quite a while, so today's turned up the article below. Although it's from December, 2012, it was never mentioned in this thread, and I don't recall seeing it elsewhere on TSW (maybe I just missed it). Wonder what the unspecified "Rogers "person" meant back when the deal was first made when he referred to the Bills in Toronto series as "a five-year life insurance policy" on Ralph Wilson? It's kind of ambiguous, but one possible interpretation is that Rogers expects to somehow get paid when Ralph passes. That's what happens when you buy a life insurance policy.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/12/16/whats-the-point-for-the-bills

When Rogers signed its first five-year deal with the Bills, a Rogers person told me what their ultimate game plan was: In his words, they had basically taken out a five-year life insurance policy on owner Wilson’s life. He was 89 at the time. He’s 94 now. Wilson is alive: It was Ted Rogers who passed away part-way through this arrangement.

Things obviously didn't turn out the way the Rogers corporate people hoped with respect to ticket sales and fan turnout, and Ted Rogers is dead, yet they renewed, despite knowing about the 7 year lease extension in Buffalo? Makes me wonder what their "game plan" is now, and why.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm. Curious. I wonder if Ralph is "selling off" chunks of the Bills this way? A way of extracting equity from his asset before he cashes in? What better easy to cheat the taxman than to turn your assets to debt.

PTR

Every once in a while I do a Google search on Toronto and the NFL just to see what turns up. Hadn't done one in a quite a while, so today's turned up the article below. Although it's from December, 2012, it was never mentioned in this thread, and I don't recall seeing it elsewhere on TSW (maybe I just missed it). Wonder what the unspecified "Rogers "person" meant back when the deal was first made when he referred to the Bills in Toronto series as "a five-year life insurance policy" on Ralph Wilson? It's kind of ambiguous, but one possible interpretation is that Rogers expects to somehow get paid when Ralph passes. That's what happens when you buy a life insurance policy.

http://www.torontosu...t-for-the-bills

Things obviously didn't turn out the way the Rogers corporate people hoped with respect to ticket sales and fan turnout, and Ted Rogers is dead, yet they renewed, despite knowing about the 7 year lease extension in Buffalo? Makes me wonder what their "game plan" is now, and why.

regarding the five year life insurance policy comment.........the only thing that would make any sense to me, would be if Rogers had a right of first refusal to match any bid to buy the team when ralph passes. it is also the only reason I can see rogers wanting to continue the series. not sure how that type of agreement could possibly remain secret.

regarding the five year life insurance policy comment.........the only thing that would make any sense to me, would be if Rogers had a right of first refusal to match any bid to buy the team when ralph passes. it is also the only reason I can see rogers wanting to continue the series. not sure how that type of agreement could possibly remain secret.

Dang, wish I had thought of that! Who put you up to this?

Roll Tide.

Dang, wish I had thought of that! Who put you up to this?

Roll Tide.

Conspiracy theories aside, a quick guess on the "insurance policy" comment would be that the Rogers folks thought the series would be a smashing success. In their minds, if it proved a huge success and they actually made money, they probably assumed their eventual bid on the Bills would have some merit in NFL offices. Which obviously hasn't happened.