Erhardt-Perkins system and the New England Offense

AmishRifle

All,

I don't post very often but I ran across an article linked below that provides some background and the overall concept of the New England offense. I don't completely agree with the author's premise that the simplification of an offense's play call in the huddle has directly attributed to their success but I thought the X's and O's discussion provided some valuable insight. The article is also applicable to the Jets as they've just hired a West Coast Offense OC. Hope you enjoy.

http://www.grantland...-brady-patriots

Go Bills!

Everything goes in cycles. During the Kelly days (sigh as they are such ancient history) the K Gun was supposedly built on 10 basic plays. The Bills just dared teams to try to beat their talent and to maintain tempo. Worked well in all but one game each season.

All,

I don't post very often but I ran across an article linked below that provides some background and the overall concept of the New England offense. I don't completely agree with the author's premise that the simplification of an offense's play call in the huddle has directly attributed to their success but I thought the X's and O's discussion provided some valuable insight. The article is also applicable to the Jets as they've just hired a West Coast Offense OC. Hope you enjoy.

http://www.grantland...-brady-patriots

Go Bills!

Interesting read, thanks for the link.

1) I don't see how it's applicable to the Jets as they aren't running an E-P offense? And even less likely with the hire of a WC OC?

2) The Bills were also running a version of an E-P offense but much less effective, even factoring in a lesser QB. It seemed very complex to many.

Thoughts?

Marrone has a decided preference for an up-tempo offense. Any idea how his offense/Hacketts would be described?

I think another part of NE's success is that they typically go after intelligent players - perhaps at the expense of superior physical talent. Because they know football is a team sport. If the guys on the field actually understand the principles they're being taught, and are intelligent enough to know their function in the whole, then you've got a 11 brains functioning in one body. I applaud them for that. Having Brady as the unquestioned leader doesn't hurt, either. That is what I've been hoping for in Buffalo since our glory days - intelligence, and a killer instinct. And, coincidentally, those are the two things I like most about our new staff - Marrone comes off as very intelligent, and Pettine has a very nice killer instinct.