Deadspin: Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend Is A Hoax

Punch

......This is really nothing other than a high profile kid being thrust in the spotlight and taken advantage of by a skilled (and likely gay) spammer.....

A gay spammer who has a female friend who is willing to not only call him every night but talk with him all through the night due to her pretending to have insomnia?

Those wacky gay youngsters.....what will they be doing next?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no question about this. The question is more on other stuff which requires real-world involvement, like where Te'o sent the white rose to his girlfriend's funeral, who talks to him every night and stay on the line for 8 hours? who plays "her" brotehr? who plays "her" sister? why Te'o never visit her grave or asks for a photo? why Te'o never vists her when she was in comma and fighting cancer? etc.

Absolutely, these are all fascinating questions that demand answers. It wouldn't be crazy if Te'o had evidence of this, though. The mere presence of pertinent questions coupled with the lack of answers (at the moment) doesn't mean there aren't any.

Either way, Te'o has issues.

no question about this. The question is more on other stuff which requires real-world involvement, like where Te'o sent the white rose to his girlfriend's funeral, who talks to him every night and stay on the line for 8 hours? who plays "her" brotehr? who plays "her" sister? why Te'o never visit her grave or asks for a photo? why Te'o never vists her when she was in comma and fighting cancer? etc.

He never met "her" because the skilled spammer did eveything to make sure that didn't happen. Married people pretending to be single keep the other side in the dark for years like this. In this case the spammer would use the "don't worry about me best thing to do is go out and play football. I'll be watching you my love here from the hospital" blah blah crap.

He never met "her" because the skilled spammer did eveything to make sure that didn't happen. Married people pretending to be single keep the other side in the dark for years like this. In this case the spammer would use the "don't worry about me best thing to do is go out and play football. I'll be watching you my love here from the hospital" blah blah crap.

none of the questions listed asking if he ever "met" her though. On the other hand, his father did say she came to visit him in Hawaii, that's a separated question though.

And because they are hours and years in they let it go too easily. It must be real or they are idiots and they don't want to contemplate that they got that far taken by a fake.

none of the questions listed asking if he ever "met" her though. On the other hand, his father did say she came to visit him in Hawaii, that's a separated question though.

It's very possible he exaggerated their interaction to avoid getting made fun of based on what notre dame is saying.

Ill post this article again, as its very much worth reading to answer several of the initial questions if its a hoax - what nd investigators found:

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-74051757/

Again, do you think that folks at nd just looked at his twitter account and said "we got your back here" if you want to ask the glaring questions...

Lots of details here

http://my.chicagotri...e/p2p-74051757/

School hired an investigator that did a full report - released to the family right before the bowl game. Allegedly was set to be released by the family next week.

Well I already answered you the first time, before you posted that article. Again:

I have zero idea. Are there investigators involved or just the media relations department?

I would say anyone involved in the institution is hopeful that there's a logical explanation. Without really knowing, I doubt Manti is being "grilled" by investigators. More likely in my mind is that a lot of "suspension of disbelieve" is being exercised. A lot of people are in denial, hoping that Manti can defend himself with evidence. The school will not lie on his behalf, in my opinion. He released an ambiguous statement.

That's the extent of their involvement as far as I can tell.

I'm glad there are investigators involved. That will make it very easy for Manti to clear his name.

This whole thing is bizarre & no matter the truth his Pro Career is in Jeopardy

If he got taken, there's a good chance the worst impact is some trash talk on Sunday and hazing in camp.

Scouts often make up these profiles just to talk to players undercover and see if they will spill dirt to a hot girl on Facebook based on what I've read in past years leading up to the draft. He would be the worst story, but certainly not the first to embarass himself I'm sure.

It's very possible he exaggerated their interaction to avoid getting made fun of based on what notre dame is saying.

Ill post this article again, as its very much worth reading to answer several of the initial questions if its a hoax - what nd investigators found:

http://my.chicagotri...e/p2p-74051757/

Why if Te'o was contacted by the hoaxer on or about Dec 6th, why wait almost three weeks to tell your coaches and school about what happened?

http://www.buzzfeed....fake-dead-girlf

Manti's interview about her. Sure doesn't sound like an Internet relationship.....

Manti said:

"He described her as the "most beautiful girl I've ever met" and "someone that you talk to every single day."

That's good. It means that they should have tons of phone records showing conversations between the two. It will also allow the investigators to find out whose phone that is/was.

"Wojciechowski wondered why Notre Dame didn't get ahead of the story."

Probably because as I said upthread, they would prefer that the story just go away. Now they have no choice but to address it.

Why if Te'o was contacted by the hoaxer on or about Dec 6th, why wait almost three weeks to tell your coaches and school about what happened?

It's right in the interview:

It wasn't until the morning of Dec. 26, Swarbrick said, that Te'o contacted Notre Dame coaches about the call. Swarbrick said Te'o wanted to discuss the issue face-to-face with his parents over a holiday break before bringing it to the staff's attention, and on Dec. 27, Te'o and Swarbrick met to discuss the details of the relationship.

Manti said:

"He described her as the "most beautiful girl I've ever met" and "someone that you talk to every single day."

That's good. It means that they should have tons of phone records showing conversations between the two. It will also allow the investigators to find out whose phone that is/was.

"Wojciechowski wondered why Notre Dame didn't get ahead of the story."

Probably because as I said upthread, they would prefer that the story just go away. Now they have no choice but to address it.

Notre dame claims the plan was to release the info next week but deadspin beat the family to it

Edited by NoSaint

Notre dame claims the plan was to release the info next week but deadspin beat the family to it

That's what I would expect them to say.

And as you noted in an earlier post of yours, it's quite possible that Notre Dame and/or Manti's family was aware of the Deadspin investigation.

In fact, considering how many people Deadspin spoke with, I would say that it's more probable than possible.

That's what I would expect them to say.

And as you noted in an earlier post of yours, it's quite possible that Notre Dame and/or Manti's family was aware of the Deadspin investigation.

In fact, considering how many people Deadspin spoke with, I would say that it's more probable than possible.

It's certain, frankly. That doesn't mean the teos wanted to go with it yet. They might have thought they had more time. Ill also say deadspin has been known to rush to release if they think someone's about to beat them - possibly why their story has so many open questions still.

Unless nd is covering for him, or hes really good at covering it's seemingly getting to the point of likely that teo was simply had on this.

Edited by NoSaint

Terribly embarrassed?

Would your first reaction be "tell everybody"

In this situation yes. With the media backlash he is receiving right now, I would have wanted the backing and support of Notre Dame ASAP. Particularity if this has the potential to affect my draft position and cost me millions of dollars in salary and endorsements.

It's right in the interview:

It wasn't until the morning of Dec. 26, Swarbrick said, that Te'o contacted Notre Dame coaches about the call. Swarbrick said Te'o wanted to discuss the issue face-to-face with his parents over a holiday break before bringing it to the staff's attention, and on Dec. 27, Te'o and Swarbrick met to discuss the details of the relationship.

Thanks Punch.