Is being bald/white a prerequisite to getting a coordinator job at OBD

Three coordinators. All bald. All snow white. Can a brother get a chance in Buffalo? Anywhere in the NFL? Lovie Smith gets fired after going 10-6. Could be replaced by a CFL coach or Whisenhunt. Whisenhunt's offense was crap without Kurt Warner but his team's defense was good. Does Horton get a job? Not yet. Brian Billick offensive mastermind that he is wins a SB with arguably the greatest defense ever( which he does not oversee) and never has an offense ranked higher than 15th. Both he, Chip Kelly, Bill O'Brien(another Brady product), and the ND blowout coach all get interviews with the Eagles. Do you think they let Fewell even interview for more than an hour before deciding not to reatin him and hire Gailey? Fewell was 3-4 as HC which looks quite good compared to the last guy.

Maybe Quentin Tarontino needs to do a movie on the plight of black coaches in the NFL??? Sad part is the NFL looks down right progressive compared to the NCAA...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really don't know why Fewell was not given the HC job. They could have made Gailey the OC and he would have done a better job. Russ chickened out and went with the "name" recommended coach rather than promoting the interim HC. It is hard to say if race was a factor. I think it is more of the "Ole Boys Network" machine working rather than the race card. I want the Bills to make choices based on merit and nothing else.

Three coordinators. All bald. All snow white. Can a brother get a chance in Buffalo? Anywhere in the NFL? Lovie Smith gets fired after going 10-6. Could be replaced by a CFL coach or Whisenhunt. Whisenhunt's offense was crap without Kurt Warner but his team's defense was good. Does Horton get a job? Not yet. Brian Billick offensive mastermind that he is wins a SB with arguably the greatest defense ever( which he does not oversee) and never has an offense ranked higher than 15th. Both he, Chip Kelly, Bill O'Brien(another Brady product), and the ND blowout coach all get interviews with the Eagles. Do you think they let Fewell even interview for more than an hour before deciding not to reatin him and hire Gailey? Fewell was 3-4 as HC which looks quite good compared to the last guy.

Maybe Quentin Tarontino needs to do a movie on the plight of black coaches in the NFL??? Sad part is the NFL looks down right progressive compared to the NCAA...

Bald Power!!! I should be the next hire for bald strength coach, I should get some tats to look all hard and stuff.

I think that's the question the OP is asking. Is Lovie Smith worse than others being interviewed or given jobs.

I guess each Owner/GM have their own personal opinion in how they evaluate players/coaches and they have the right to make their choice as long as they are not discriminating. It will be hard for anyone to prove that there was actual racial discrimination. But clearly there is very effective "Old boys network" mafia in the NFL

I think that's the question the OP is asking. Is Lovie Smith worse than others being interviewed or given jobs.

they didnt want Lovie. If Lovie was white they didnt want him. If lovie was Oriental they didnt want him. All there is to it is they didnt want him.

I for one am proud that the Bills chose people like me. :thumbsup: Im thinning but not all gone yet. On its way!

That said, Im going to go out on a limb here.If I was a "brother" as you put it I would only want an interview if the Bills felt that I deserved one and not just because there was a rule that they had to follow.Hmmmm, what is wrong with this country. A good man once said "we should judge by the content of their caractor not by the color of their skin."

they didnt want Lovie. If Lovie was white they didnt want him. If lovie was Oriental they didnt want him. All there is to it is they didnt want him.

Got to agree here. This years Coaching carousel has been very interesting. Other than Kansas City jumping on a retread like Andy Reid, all the other teams have refused to buy in the hype of "experienced NFL Coaches" in Wisenhunt, Lovie, Norv Turner etc. It is a clear indication that all the teams have looked at the poor win-loss record of all these coaches, their inability to get the best out of their QBs (including drafting a Franchise QB) and having no focus (San Deigo, Chicago and Arizona had big losing streaks this season) and decided that none of them are really good HC candidates to be hired. At the end of the day, Lovie Smith made 3 playoff appearances in 9 seasons. That is not a good recipe for success in the ever changing NFL. The same goes for Wisenhunt and Turner.

Really don't know why Fewell was not given the HC job. They could have made Gailey the OC and he would have done a better job. Russ chickened out and went with the "name" recommended coach rather than promoting the interim HC. It is hard to say if race was a factor. I think it is more of the "Ole Boys Network" machine working rather than the race card. I want the Bills to make choices based on merit and nothing else.

I've also wondered why Fewell wasn't given the chance. Given the talent he had, he did a decent job of finishing out as Interim HC. I think mainly Buffalo wanted someone mostly from the offensive side of the football to be the HC as opposed to a past defensive coordinator. Mainly, his defenses just weren't good enough. And obviously things were not so great on the other side of the ball, either, but his defenses were not top-ranked or anything to make him stand out. He had great enthusiasm and apparent respect of his players, so it could have worked out -- one of those things you just never know. I do hope he gets another chance someday.

I've also wondered why Fewell wasn't given the chance. Given the talent he had, he did a decent job of finishing out as Interim HC. I think mainly Buffalo wanted someone mostly from the offensive side of the football to be the HC as opposed to a past defensive coordinator. Mainly, his defenses just weren't good enough. And obviously things were not so great on the other side of the ball, either, but his defenses were not top-ranked or anything to make him stand out. He had great enthusiasm and apparent respect of his players, so it could have worked out -- one of those things you just never know. I do hope he gets another chance someday.

And neither did Chan's defense (especially considering that he hired a very inexperienced never-been-a-DC in Edwards to come in and convert a Tampa-2 defense into a 3-4 without a valid Nose tackle on the roster).