My "value" FA signings for 2013 and the Bills

D521646

Assuming we sign Byrd, and Keep Levitre, or tag Byrd and sign Levitre we need other help and we have cap space to boot so here goes.

Daryl Smith (JAC) - OLB - Only played a couple of games last year but he could be had for a decent price, and if the price is right we should sign him.

Aqib Talib (NE) - DB - Yes, off field issues aside, he seems to have grown up a bit with NE, and for 7, maybe 8 Million he would be a very nice addition to the Bills. Let's face it, a top notch DB isn't going to be there in the 3rd, or 4th round so we may need to sign one, release Williams, and Rogers, retain Mcklovin, and groom Brooks, and a 4th, or 5th Db in the draft.

Joe Flacco (BAL) - QB - Release Fitz, (We know what he can and cannot do regardless of whether our new coaching staff does) keep TJ, and draft a QB in the first or second round. Pay Flacco what he wants, and hpe someone picks up Fitz, or take the cap hit, either way, dropping Fitz needs to happen. If we can't sign Flacco, I don't like any other FA option for QB. In this vien, we draft two QB's and sign TJ to run the show in 2013 until someone else is ready.

Osi Umenyiora (NYG) - DE - Although I think we're in really good shape at DL, letting Moore and Merriman walk, giving Truop a shot (Again) and an improving Carrington, adding Osi for the right price would be a good move. he may not want to play here, but if he shows any interest I say we pursue him.

Dwayne Bowe (KC) - DB wants out of KC and even with the Ried signing at HC, my bet is he walks away. he would instantly contend for WR#1 with Stevie, but the two would work well together and the Bills would have a legit 1, 2 at WR with Nelson and TJ, and Jones would round out our WR corpes. If we get Flacco, we will absolutely lure him in.

Fred Davis (WAS) - TE - Yes, he was injured last year and didn't see the field much, but his 2011 season was very good. If we can sign him to a one year prove it deal we should.

So the "plan" is to draft one, maybe two QB's, sign Flacco -OR- retain TJ

Let Choice walk, and draft a RB in the later rounds.

Draft two LB's, maybe three.

Draft another DB in later rounds or add one in UDFA.

If we can't sign a FA TE, then Lee and Dickerson will do, and hopefully one of them will have a greater role in the Moroone/Hacket scheme and breakout. I don't think we draft a TE in this draft.

If we can't get Osi, then keeping Moore and or Merriman would work, we do not focus on drafting a DL in this years draft.

I think keeping Levitre is a MUST, but we should still draft at least one more interior lineman in this years draft.

If we can't get Bowe, then Amendola or similar could be had, and if we can't sign any FA WR's then we will need to draft one or two fairly high limiting our defensive needs at LB.

Thoughts?

Tim-

on talib.... what about hes 3 weeks in new england seems more grown up to you? that he made it through the holidays arrest free?

on smith, he wont break the bank but being one of the better SAM linebackers in the league i wouldnt look for him to be cheap either. hes one of my guys that ive been beating the drum for but im not sure what to expect our defense to look like and because of that, im a bit off on what linebackers would fit it based on those question marks. we will see. if a more pure 43 i think hed be an excellent guy to pay for though.

flacco never hits the market. no way.

davis could be a good one, ive mentioned him with smith in past posts.

bowe and osi are both good players but i dont know that we see either coming our way, or a value.

ive mentioned a few of these guys as possible mid tier dollar signings though. decent list.

Edited by NoSaint

on talib.... what about hes 3 weeks in new england seems more grown up to you? that he made it through the holidays arrest free?

on smith, he wont break the bank but being one of the better SAM linebackers in the league i wouldnt look for him to be cheap either. hes one of my guys that ive been beating the drum for but im not sure what to expect our defense to look like and because of that, im a bit off on what linebackers would fit it based on those question marks. we will see. if a more pure 43 i think hed be an excellent guy to pay for though.

flacco never hits the market. no way.

davis could be a good one, ive mentioned him with smith in past posts.

bowe and osi are both good players but i dont know that we see either coming our way, or a value.

ive mentioned a few of these guys as possible mid tier dollar signings though. decent list.

I agree I am going on nothing as to scheme but 4/3 4/6 is my assumption. That said, if not Osi, then Seymore wouldn't be abad option either, even though he's on the backside of his career. Flacco I agree but like I said, I don't see anyone else that I would want, certainly not Alex Smith, I'd rather keep Fitz if that's the case. Bowe might not come cheap agreed but he's worth SJ money for sure, and if that's the splash we make I'd be ok with it freeing up our draft order for LB's and QB's.

Tim-

Flacco, Umenyora, and Bowe are certainly not going to be looking to sign a contract that anyone would consider a value...That I can pretty much assure... B-)

Flacco no and I agree but I think he's a franchise type player, and worth the money. Bowe? Not sure, depends on the market, we certainly can't get Flacco and Bowe me thinks there's not enugh cap space, but one or the other should be priority. Osi is a if not them then him type of deal, but in all honesty I'd prefer a cover guy like Talib.

Tim-

I agree I am going on nothing as to scheme but 4/3 4/6 is my assumption. That said, if not Osi, then Seymore wouldn't be abad option either, even though he's on the backside of his career. Flacco I agree but like I said, I don't see anyone else that I would want, certainly not Alex Smith, I'd rather keep Fitz if that's the case. Bowe might not come cheap agreed but he's worth SJ money for sure, and if that's the splash we make I'd be ok with it freeing up our draft order for LB's and QB's.

Tim-

he will likely be a bit more than stevie money. i think thats why i like smith as a signing at lb - frees up a positional need at a friendlier price. wont be cheap, but a bit more reasonable.

Edited by NoSaint

Assuming we sign Byrd, and Keep Levitre, or tag Byrd and sign Levitre we need other help and we have cap space to boot so here goes.

Daryl Smith (JAC) - OLB - Only played a couple of games last year but he could be had for a decent price, and if the price is right we should sign him.

Aqib Talib (NE) - DB - Yes, off field issues aside, he seems to have grown up a bit with NE, and for 7, maybe 8 Million he would be a very nice addition to the Bills. Let's face it, a top notch DB isn't going to be there in the 3rd, or 4th round so we may need to sign one, release Williams, and Rogers, retain Mcklovin, and groom Brooks, and a 4th, or 5th Db in the draft.

Joe Flacco (BAL) - QB - Release Fitz, (We know what he can and cannot do regardless of whether our new coaching staff does) keep TJ, and draft a QB in the first or second round. Pay Flacco what he wants, and hpe someone picks up Fitz, or take the cap hit, either way, dropping Fitz needs to happen. If we can't sign Flacco, I don't like any other FA option for QB. In this vien, we draft two QB's and sign TJ to run the show in 2013 until someone else is ready.

Osi Umenyiora (NYG) - DE - Although I think we're in really good shape at DL, letting Moore and Merriman walk, giving Truop a shot (Again) and an improving Carrington, adding Osi for the right price would be a good move. he may not want to play here, but if he shows any interest I say we pursue him.

Dwayne Bowe (KC) - DB wants out of KC and even with the Ried signing at HC, my bet is he walks away. he would instantly contend for WR#1 with Stevie, but the two would work well together and the Bills would have a legit 1, 2 at WR with Nelson and TJ, and Jones would round out our WR corpes. If we get Flacco, we will absolutely lure him in.

Fred Davis (WAS) - TE - Yes, he was injured last year and didn't see the field much, but his 2011 season was very good. If we can sign him to a one year prove it deal we should.

If we can't sign a FA TE, then Lee and Dickerson will do, and hopefully one of them will have a greater role in the Moroone/Hacket scheme and breakout. I don't think we draft a TE in this draft.

If we can't get Osi, then keeping Moore and or Merriman would work, we do not focus on drafting a DL in this years draft.

I think keeping Levitre is a MUST, but we should still draft at least one more interior lineman in this years draft.

If we can't get Bowe, then Amendola or similar could be had, and if we can't sign any FA WR's then we will need to draft one or two fairly high limiting our defensive needs at LB.

Thoughts?

Tim-

They all sound good to me. Bring em all in and let's see if it works...

That is not a "Value" list - that is a high priced, high priority type list. Getting McElvin as your kick returner and possible corner is a valued free agent proposition...not getting a Talib or a Flacco....

This is literally a list of the top priced F.A available. Flacco is going to command north of 13 mil probably much higher and you are acting like he would come in and groom a rookie. Even though we have 20 mil in cap we still have plenty of F.A to resign and still need between 8-10 mil for rookie signings. I dont see N.E letting Talib go. Flacco has no chance in hell and there never was any chance. Bowe will likely get over 10 mil a year even though he doesnt deserve it. Mike wallace wants to be paid like calvin so unless we can get one of these guys for a decent price thats also a no go. So basically unless one of these F.A all of which I forsee will command a hefty price tag would tag a discount to buffalo im all for it but there is no way.

Go Bills.

Thoughts?

Tim-

Without any alternative QB waiting in wings, there is no way that Baltimore would let Flacco go. Also, I don't get all the love for TJ. He was relegated to third string status on the Seahawks before they traded him. Before the Seahwaks, the Vikes had decided that Jackson wasn't worth re-signing. Is there some sort of as yet unseen talent that would make him an awesome starting QB?

Edited by prissythecat

Without any alternative QB waiting in wings, there is no way that Baltimore would let Flacco go. Also, I don't get all the love for TJ. He was relegated to third string status on the Seahawks before they traded him. Before the Seahwaks, the Vikes had decided that Jackson wasn't worth re-signing. Is there some sort of as yet unseen talent that would make him an awesome starting QB?

You're forgetting that game when Favre got hurt & TJ only threw 3 interceptions in leading his team to victory against a Bills team that won 4 games that year.

I was going to start a similar thread, but I'll just piggyback off of Tim here. My value free agents (at positions of need only):

Greg Jennings - WR/Green Bay

He won't come cheap per se, but he'll be 30 at the start of next season, so he may come in at or even a bit under what Stevie got in guarantees

Delanie Walker - TE/San Francisco

Contributes soundly as both a blocker and pass catcher, and this has become a significant need with Chandler likely starting next season on the PUP

Antoine Caldwell - OG/Houston

Even if (or more likely, when) Levitre is re-signed, there's still the issue of depth, where Chad Rinehardt may also not be retained...this team needs another versatile interior lineman, and Caldwell can play either guard spot, or finish a game at center in a pinch (he played center at Alabama)

Michael Johnson - LB/Cincinnati

Great athlete and solid pass rusher that can play both standing up in a 4-3 and as a down lineman in obvious passing situations...never had the gaudy sack numbers so shouldn't be a big-money FA

Dannell Ellerbe - LB/Baltimore

Yes, he's more of a marquis name now that he started for the Ravens this year...can probably still be had for Nick Barnett-type money if he's willing to leave Baltimore

Darius Butler - CB/Indianapolis

Originally considered a Patriot draft bust, Butler had a great second half of the season as a starter for the Colts...probably can come in and start opposite Gilmore allowing Brooks & Williams to compete for slot duty

Flacco will be tagged or resigned.

Talib will sign a value deal only with a team like the Patriots or 49ers that can win now.

I also think Bowe will be out regardless of KC hiring Reid.

I like the Fred Davis idea.

I don't know much about Smith but didn't Jax have a worse defense than ours?

I would not sign a FA LB. They can be had in the draft and can contribute early. I would spend my money on a big time experienced WR that still has upside. Whether there will be one available I do not know. Jennings or Bowe seem the most likely ones.