Time for a Kicker

It's the Lindell curse I tell ya.

I think we all like Lindell...but the worm has turned with this team and mediocrity is no longer flavor of the day...what's wrong with bringing a kicker in to truly compete with Lindell (not just training camp fodder)?? I tell you, if Chan was playing percentages on 45 yd field goals, that computation had something to do with Gailey's first hand observation of Lindell in practice, games, etc. If that's the case and judging on his lack of 50 yd attempts, Lindell needs to prove to this team how he can score points from 40-50 yard attempts.

I'm sick of the conclusory arguments with gratuitous profanity for effect. This team isn't in the business to make Moorman, Kelsay and even Lindell feel good...Lindell needs to score points with 40-50 yarders without questions asked. Training camp will be his test.

He already has.

Lindell 40+: 7-9, 77.8%

Janikowski 40+: 11-14, 78.6%

People are underestimating just how good and how consistent Lindell is.

edit- and let's keep in mind re: non-attempts that Gailey's judgment is far from infallible. This is the guy who started Trent Edwards over Fitzpatrick after watching them everyday much the same as he did Lindell.

Edited by Big Bad Boone

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope...wasn't a Gailey fan; but he obviously knew there were questions with Lindell's power/accuracy if the "percentages" said to punt.

It also could be the difficulty of consistently kicking in a cold weather place like Buffalo, Pittsburgh and Cleveland. Granted that Dawson was 7-7 on 50+ kicks. It would be interesting to know how many of those were in Cleveland. Having lived in Pittsburgh, I knew that a 50+ FG in Heinz field was a very low probability. In fact a 52yarder was the longest FG in Pittsburgh for a while. I don't think Lindell is a problem at this point on this team.

It also could be the difficulty of consistently kicking in a cold weather place like Buffalo, Pittsburgh and Cleveland. Granted that Dawson was 7-7 on 50+ kicks. It would be interesting to know how many of those were in Cleveland. Having lived in Pittsburgh, I knew that a 50+ FG in Heinz field was a very low probability. In fact a 52yarder was the longest FG in Pittsburgh for a while. I don't think Lindell is a problem at this point on this team.

I guess the main point is: there is always room for improvement. With new GM coming, new Prez, new coaches, no position is safe. Even the untouchable kicker. How long has Lindell been our kicker?? 8-10 yrs?? Now is the time to take a serious look at kickers and not just a quick challenge in training camp....a serious search and tryout.

Edited by BringBackFergy

I guess the main point is: there is always room for improvement. With new GM coming, new Prez, new coaches, no position is safe. Even the untouchable kicker. How long has Lindell been our kicker?? 8-10 yrs?? Now is the time to take a serious look at kickers and not just a quick challenge in training camp....a serious search and tryout.

Actually 12 years...Donahoe signed him from Seattle in the 2nd season of GW after they struggled with a bunch of kickers in the 1st year. While coaches have come and gone, regimes have changed, he has been a constant.

He went 21 for 24 this year.

You KNOW he can't kick 50+ because he missed ONE kick in that range the entire season?

For !@#$'s sake

First, let's not make it sound like Lindell was banging home 50-yarders regularly and happened to miss one. He was 1/2 the whole season, and his one was exactly 50-yards long and barely snuck over the crossbar (against Jax at home).

Second, you can dismiss Gailey's decision making if you'd like, but I think it says a lot about your kicker when your coach won't let him try a 52-yard field goal in a dome in the 2nd quarter (vs. Indy). I mean, this guy does watch him in practice every day.

Lastly, it's not like 2012 was an aberration for Lindell, he didn't make a kick of over 50 yards in 2011 either. This isn't a rash "rah rah our kicker sucks like everything else" rant...it's a common sense analysis. There's better to be had, so let's get one.

This strikes me as about as effective as cutting Brian Moorman in the middle of the season. Now THAT really solved our problems!

Continuity has its merit...except when you continue to be mediocre.

Yes, Lindell is a constant...constantly mediocre on kickoffs and field goals.

Apparently the sentiment is: keep him and don't search for a better kicker vs. yes, we can do better so at least try to find a better kicker (kickoffs and field goals).

I see no reason why we shouldn't try to improve our team. If that means the coaches are looking for a kicker who can hit 5-10 50 yarders during the regular season (who could conceivably score us an additional 30 pts over 16 games) it's a no brainer for those who want to win games.

This strikes me as about as effective as cutting Brian Moorman in the middle of the season. Now THAT really solved our problems!

Last time I checked punters are not the highest scoring member of a football team...that would be the kicker.

He already has.

Lindell 40+: 7-9, 77.8%

Janikowski 40+: 11-14, 78.6%

People are underestimating just how good and how consistent Lindell is.

edit- and let's keep in mind re: non-attempts that Gailey's judgment is far from infallible. This is the guy who started Trent Edwards over Fitzpatrick after watching them everyday much the same as he did Lindell.

That really doesn't tell us much...

1) 40+ could very easily mean most of those were 40 - 43 yards for Lindell and 44 -49 for Janikowski.

2) It doesn't indicate conditions for either kicker, wind, cold, rain, snow, sunny, warm, indoors. That is definitely a factor

3) What about kickoffs? That is important as well.

I wouldn't mind bringing some competition but you just don't cut your kicker because he's aging. He has good numbers and he can kick the FGs the HC tells him to.

they should bring Potter or other young leg to compete next TC, may be best man win.

That really doesn't tell us much...

1) 40+ could very easily mean most of those were 40 - 43 yards for Lindell and 44 -49 for Janikowski.

2) It doesn't indicate conditions for either kicker, wind, cold, rain, snow, sunny, warm, indoors. That is definitely a factor

3) What about kickoffs? That is important as well.

heck, 40+ could include some of those 65 yarders janikowski kicks. typically if bracketed for 40-49 itll be denoted as such before going to 50+

that would make it potentially a radically different stat.

No, that was Bryant on the squib. But he doesn't normally do it, Bosher does it.

if so, my mistake - i know bosher is normally in, and i know the announcers called his name on it at one point but.... we saw what kind of nonsense the announcers were saying.

Edited by NoSaint

I say bring it on. I agree that Lindell has been very consistent over the years, but he is getting up there in age and he just can't get the distance on kickoffs or FG's anymore. Nothing wrong with bringing someone in to compete. If they prove they are the better option then keep them, if not, keep Lindell. No harm in competition.