Draft of Free Agency?

I will list the positions that we need the most help in (imo) and where the help would be easier to get:

Offensive Line:

TD proved that an excellent OG can be brought in through free agency. If Hopkins really is a cap cut, he is certainly an option at LT should Jennings depart (which imo will happen).

Still, the Bills need strong reserves, so I am hoping that the OL is improved via both the draft and free agency.

Cornerback:

Yes, we did get Vincent through free agency. The problem is, he plays safety. It seems rare that a team will let a cb walk. Winfield did, but I was one who was not in love with his coverage and ball handling skills. Additionally, didn't he get more than 30 million dollars? Sorry, too much for my blood.

Looking at the above, the draft seems like the place to go, and I expect the Bills first selection to be a cb.

Linebacker:

Although Stamer appears to be liked by the coaches, depth seems to be lacking in this area. I am thinking that either avenue would be OK to get help at this position.

Kicker:

Draft.

Defensive End:

It would be great to get depth here, but we already have some with Denney. These guys are at such a premium that it is very tough to get one from either avenue. My choice would be to roll the dice with a late round "project."

Running Back

Travis is history folks. I am hoping for a draft pick to replace him, and it need not necessarily be an early one. For whatever reason, rbs seem to last longer in the draft.

Comments?

Agree. We will definitely draft a CB in the top 3 rounds especially when

we have a starting CB. One guy who we could have might be is Fred

Smoots. Word around D.C is that they may not be able to resign him.

(The bills were after him during the draft 4 years ago).

LB: Poseys job might be on the line.

Though I hate Denneys play, I think it is pretty hard to get good or

even decent DE in FA as we found out for 2 of the last 3 years with

failed experiments. So I guess Denney remains and plays out his

contract. May be since next year he will be playing for a new contract

hope he can give us a good year.

RB: We definitely need to draft one in the 1st 3 rounds again. Burns

is a ST player and we need to see more of Shaud Williams before

annoiting him as the primary backup.

QB: Also, who will be the backup QB. Will be re-sign Shane Mathews ?

Bill, do you know what the TE prospects look like for this year's coming draft? That might be an area of opportunity depending how the draft falls out. What about FA TE's ?

195258[/snapback]

No, and I should have listed that position. John from Hemet mentioned 2 FAs, but I know little about them.

I would like to see more of Euhus.

Offensive Line:

Agree that free agency is the way to go to get a couple new starters for next season, but I think the primary target in the upcoming draft has to be O-linemen. Depth here is going to be key next season -- the entire season likely hinges on it.

Cornerback:

Agreed that this position will be addressed in the draft, but I think TD and company feel very good about McGee coming into his own at corner. I think an upgrade in depth here is also vital to winning next season.

Linebacker:

I think a free agent will be brought in here to take Posey's spot. I think Posey will play much more from a three-point stance. hte defense is anything but broken, and I think this will be the only real change in the defensive starting lineup.

Kicker:

Sorry everyone, but Lindell will be back. He had good overall season, and TD will not can him for one (yes, very big) missed FG. TD doesn't believe in paying big bucks for kickers.

Defensive End:

I don't see any new DEs in training camp except maybe an unsigned free agent or two.

Running Back

Travis is indeed gone, and a quality backup running back is needed. This has to be addressed in free agency. Maybe bring back O. Gary? :)

One comment on the CB position....TD needs to do eveything possible(without killing our cap) to get Clements signed to a long term extension. Of course it's possible that NC wants to test the waters after the 2005 season and in that case there is nothing TD can do.

I'd like to see the Bills draft Mike Nugent K Ohio State. He was 5 of 6 on field goals over 50 yards and is very accurate at close range

I also would like an upgrade at 3rd reciver spot. I think that the Bills should look at Travis Taylor in Baltimore, he is a free agent at may not cost very much. He was their top reciver yet would be a 3rd reciever here. I think he would be at least worth a look.

Bills need to look bringing in 2 new offensive linemen possibly a CB and possibly a LB