Anthony Spencer - FA - OLB

Anthony Spencer will hit the FA market IF he is not slapped with the franchise tag again by the Cowboys.

A little background ... http://espn.go.com/n...anthony-spencer

He was a HUGE factor this year in the Boys' 3-4 defense.

Would he have a place in our multiple front defense?

Would you want him on this team?

His contract will most likely be rather large, but we do have the cap space. He would instantly become this team's best LB. Being a Purdue fan, this would be even sweeter for me personally, but in any regard he would instantly make our D better, no matter how we used him.

Edited by DisplacedBillsFan

IMO levitre/byrd are first priority. after that i read some place that if they gave both of them market value estimated contracts we would have around 10 mil left in the cap space to handle things. thats without anything else happening like if fitz is moved, brad smith and those types. id like to see a WR added doesnt need to be a big name but a stop gap. but yah spencer would be nice if its affordable. and id guess that would push us close to the cap.

I don't know about ANY, but it is definitely our weakest position (tied with QB in my mind). We need a lot of bodies through FA and the draft that can compete for jobs and make this group a much stronger unit.

IMO levitre/byrd are first priority. after that i read some place that if they gave both of them market value estimated contracts we would have around 10 mil left in the cap space to handle things. thats without anything else happening like if fitz is moved, brad smith and those types. id like to see a WR added doesnt need to be a big name but a stop gap. but yah spencer would be nice if its affordable. and id guess that would push us close to the cap.

WR is definitely a need, but I would want to add a quality #2 CB to play opposite of Gilmore before adding a WR.

I don't know about ANY, but it is definitely our weakest position (tied with QB in my mind). We need a lot of bodies through FA and the draft that can compete for jobs and make this group a much stronger unit.

WR is definitely a need, but I would want to add a quality #2 CB to play opposite of Gilmore before adding a WR.

I think we are going to find scheme had a lot to do with how bad our linebackers and corners played. I specifically think we will see a big difference in secondary play this year.

Nice call on the OP though.

People are talking about DeMarcus Ware but actually Anthony Spencer is a better conversation.

It's a very similar story to the one in San Diego when Shawne Merriman was getting most of the publicity but Shaun Phillips was nearly as good (and over time has proven to be better).

Spencer is overshadowed by Ware in the same way that Phillips was by Merriman.

edit: Spencer is an outstanding pass rusher and the Bills were a bit deficient in that area last year.

I'm hoping for improvement this season with Pettine bringing in a more aggressive system but I'm also hoping we get another good pass rusher.

You can never have enough.

Sign Levitre and Byrd. If there is room, then get a solid LB to help clear out the junk we have today.

I stress, do not overpay for free agents. Sign our own first. Byrd and Levitre are both very good players.

And of course I agree with this.

Anthony Spencer will hit the FA market IF he is not slapped with the franchise tag again by the Cowboys.

A little background ... http://espn.go.com/n...anthony-spencer

He was a HUGE factor this year in the Boys' 3-4 defense.

Would he have a place in our multiple front defense?

Would you want him on this team?

His contract will most likely be rather large, but we do have the cap space. He would instantly become this team's best LB. Being a Purdue fan, this would be even sweeter for me personally, but in any regard he would instantly make our D better, no matter how we used him.

:thumbsup:

If we are going to get anyone in FA I would want a Will. If we are going to get a , I would not mind getting Anthony Spencer.

It is a very important part of the defense and the position can be a major liability for a unit if he cannot hold his own. With the possibility of Merriman returning - he could play up at Jack or Sam or down at DE. Chances are he is going to blitz, however his game did pick up against the run. Merriman on the strong side, Shephard in the Mike, Morrison/Bradham/Rookie, and Barnet/Carrington/SPENCER at Will. If we got an anchor on the weak side it would be huge.

Yes, I think Merriman would resign if offered a contract - with a new DC and the output he put in when it didn't matter. He did not surprise me, but he did satisfy me. Kelsay seemed to struggle at his normal strengths - run stopping.

I am a big Levitre fan but I can't say that I am a fan of giving him a boatload of money if it means limiting our moves at QB, LB, CB, or WR. I want him to stay, but he is a guard after all. He represents Nix's current philosophy in drafting Tackles and moving them to Guard. It would be nice to get a more physical player with better size and arm length at his position without the price tag he will command.

I am a big Levitre fan but I can't say that I am a fan of giving him a boatload of money if it means limiting our moves at QB, LB, CB, or WR. I want him to stay, but he is a guard after all. He represents Nix's current philosophy in drafting Tackles and moving them to Guard. It would be nice to get a more physical player with better size and arm length at his position without the price tag he will command.

Good guards in front of good qbs might not be a coincidence. With a good guard you can climb the pocket even with questionable tackles outside. Keeping bodies out of a rookie qbs face is a great way to help keep him comfortable.