85th Annual Oscar Nominations

Mark Vader

BEST DIRECTOR

• David O. Russell, “Silver Linings Playbook”
  • Behn Zeitlin, "Beast of the Southern Wild"
  • Michael Haneke, “Amour”
  • Paul Thomas Anderson, “The Master”
  • Steven Spielberg, “Lincoln”

Somewhat surprised that Bigelow (Zero Dark) and Affleck (Argo) were not in the director nominations so I think big $ will be on Speilberg. I also believe Day-Lewis and Hathaway are locks for lead actor and actress respectively.

Edited by Mr Info

BEST DIRECTOR

• David O. Russell, “Silver Linings Playbook”
  • Behn Zeitlin, "Beast of the Southern Wild"
  • Michael Haneke, “Amour”
  • Paul Thomas Anderson, “The Master” Ang Lee, "Life of Pi" fixed
  • Steven Spielberg, “Lincoln”

Somewhat surprised that Bigelow (Zero Dark) and Affleck (Argo) were not in the director nominations so I think big $ will be on Speilberg. I also believe Day-Lewis and Hathaway are locks for lead actor and actress respectively.

I also thought that Bigelow & Affleck were locks for Best Director. I am also shocked that Tom Hooper was passed over for his work on "Les Miserables".

I thought that Michael Haneke could sneak in at the last moment, but I am shocked that Behn Zeitlin got the nod.

So it looks like it is Spielberg's to lose, but I would not be surprised if Best Director & Best Picture do not go hand-in-hand this year.

Anne Hathaway has got Supporting Actress locked up.

Daniel Day-Lewis will probably get Best Actor, but do not count out Hugh Jackman.

I think Robert DeNiro will get Best Supporting Actor.

Best Actress will be either Jessica Chastain or Jennifer Lawrence.

No dark knight rises? wow.

Yeah.

I wouldn't expect a movie like "The Dark Knight Rises" to win best picture, but up to 10 films can be nominated, and it doesn't even get that.

What's even more surprising is that it got no recognition at all. Not even for visual effects or sound effects or sound mixing.

I cant believe Affleck didnt get a single nomination

I thought he was a shoo-in for best director, of course I felt the same way for Kathryn Bigelow & Tom Hooper.

Yeah.

I wouldn't expect a movie like "The Dark Knight Rises" to win best picture, but up to 10 films can be nominated, and it doesn't even get that.

What's even more surprising is that it got no recognition at all. Not even for visual effects or sound effects or sound mixing.

I thought he was a shoo-in for best director, of course I felt the same way for Kathryn Bigelow & Tom Hooper.

I thought Bigelow surely deserved a nomination. That movie was fantastic filmmaking, although to me, the real great stuff was in the editing of it, which got a nomination and I hope wins, and to a lesser extent the cinematography and sound. Although the performances were very good, and casting was great, the story was lacking. Storytelling cinematically it was great though, and she deserved to get nominated. I think Lincoln was a much better film.

I thought Bigelow surely deserved a nomination. That movie was fantastic filmmaking, although to me, the real great stuff was in the editing of it, which got a nomination and I hope wins, and to a lesser extent the cinematography and sound. Although the performances were very good, and casting was great, the story was lacking. Storytelling cinematically it was great though, and she deserved to get nominated. I think Lincoln was a much better film.

"Lincoln" is an outstanding movie, although I question Sally Field getting a supporting actress nomination.

I have not seen "Zero Dark Thirty" yet, so I can't offer any critique. I just thought Bigelow would get nominated from all the buzz I have heard about the movie.

The real surprise to me is Tom Hooper getting ignored. He pulled off a great job with "Les Miserables".

I thought it was the best movie I had seen in 10 years. But I know some people didn't like it. re Oscar consideration, I thought it would get some nominations for cinematography, and maybe direction by Nolan.

I won't go into my thoughts on it.....suffice to say that many many people enjoyed it which means that is was a success....and I don't mean a success in monetary terms(which it was), I mean a success in that it achieved what I believe all movies should strive to achieve......entertainment of some form for the paying viewer. :thumbsup:

I thought it was the best movie I had seen in 10 years. But I know some people didn't like it. re Oscar consideration, I thought it would get some nominations for cinematography, and maybe direction by Nolan.

Christopher Nolan will have his day.

Comic Book movies or movies involving those types of characters are still not taken as seriously or deemed too frivolous by the academy to be considered good enough to be the "Best Picture" of the year. Which is ridiculous, but that's how Hollywood works.

That's also why an animated movie has never won best picture, even though you could have made a strong case for recent films like "Wall-E", "Up" & "Toy Story 3" for winning that award.

Many people will point out that since Heath Ledger won an Oscar for "The Dark Knight", that the academy does take these types of movies seriously. Although no one can deny that Ledger's death did not have an influence to him winning or even garnering a nomination.

I am stunned that "The Dark Knight Rises" got no Oscar nominations at all. Not even for visual effects or sound or cinematography.

There is a big segment of Hollywood that was turned off by "The Dark Knight Rises" alleged anti-Occupy Wall Street theme. Which is a big no-no in the far left leaning Hollywood. Whether that had any influence in "The Dark Knight Rises" not receiving any awards nominations, is anybody's guess. But it would not surprise me.

How I would vote....

Actor in a Leading Role

Bradley Cooper in "Silver Linings Playbook"

Daniel Day-Lewis in "Lincoln"

Hugh Jackman in "Les Misérables"

Joaquin Phoenix in "The Master"

Denzel Washington in "Flight"

Actor in a Supporting Role

Alan Arkin in "Argo"

Robert De Niro in "Silver Linings Playbook"

Philip Seymour Hoffman in "The Master"

Tommy Lee Jones in "Lincoln"

Christoph Waltz in "Django Unchained"

Actress in a Leading Role

Jessica Chastain in "Zero Dark Thirty"

Jennifer Lawrence in "Silver Linings Playbook"

Emmanuelle Riva in "Amour"

Quvenzhané Wallis in "Beasts of the Southern Wild"

Naomi Watts in "The Impossible"

Actress in a Supporting Role

Amy Adams in "The Master"

Sally Field in "Lincoln"

Anne Hathaway in "Les Misérables"

Helen Hunt in "The Sessions"

Jacki Weaver in "Silver Linings Playbook"

Cinematography

"Anna Karenina" Seamus McGarvey

"Django Unchained" Robert Richardson

"Life of Pi" Claudio Miranda

"Lincoln" Janusz Kaminski

"Skyfall" Roger Deakins

Directing

"Amour" Michael Haneke

"Beasts of the Southern Wild" Benh Zeitlin

"Life of Pi" Ang Lee

"Lincoln" Steven Spielberg

"Silver Linings Playbook" David O. Russell

Best Picture

"Amour" Nominees to be determined

"Argo" Grant Heslov, Ben Affleck and George Clooney, Producers

"Beasts of the Southern Wild" Dan Janvey, Josh Penn and Michael Gottwald, Producers

"Django Unchained" Stacey Sher, Reginald Hudlin and Pilar Savone, Producers

"Les Misérables" Tim Bevan, Eric Fellner, Debra Hayward and Cameron Mackintosh, Producers

"Life of Pi" Gil Netter, Ang Lee and David Womark, Producers

"Lincoln" Steven Spielberg and Kathleen Kennedy, Producers

"Silver Linings Playbook" Donna Gigliotti, Bruce Cohen and Jonathan Gordon, Producers

"Zero Dark Thirty" Mark Boal, Kathryn Bigelow and Megan Ellison, Producers