Back to the 3-4?

Doesn't matter how effective Mario is in the 3-4, no matter what his position is there he'll be overpaid for that position. As, I believe, Tim Graham pointed out he would be BY FAR the highest paid 3-4 DE in league history if he was there, then if you look around the league it's not hard to find that pass rushing OLB for the 3-4. If you have speed and strength then you're going to be effective.

There's a few threads on this already. Mario was a 3-4 OLB his last season in Houston though, to answer your specific question. Had 5 sacks in 5 games before he tore his pectoral.

But I don't think he was happy playing in a 3-4, and one fo the reasons he came to Buffalo was that he preffered playing in a 4-3 IIRC

It's going to be an attacking D.... I don't see Mario bringing off the edge from a speed perspective. His forte is size and strength. I see Moats as the only pure 3-4 OLB on the roster. Anderson seems to fit the mold at the other OLB.

If Bills hire Pettine (from Jets), that may mean Bills go back to 3-4 as that scheme is what he used his entire career.

If that happens, how does super Mario handle the switch? Isn't he a 4-3 guy?

It ought to be Interesting. If they switch to 3-4, I guess that means it's time to Draft 4 LBs or Sign some via FA. WE DON"T HAVE LBs that are difference makers on this team!

It ought to be Interesting. If they switch to 3-4, I guess that means it's time to Draft 4 LBs or Sign some via FA. WE DON"T HAVE LBs that are difference makers on this team!

This!!

We have no LB's worth a darn. Barnett is a good 3rd man IF you had 2 other good LB's!!

Switching to a 34 would mean we need even more LB's. Let's walk before we run!!

I'd prefer we stay in a base 43 and add wrinkles. To have a 34 you need a Ted Washington (remember those days!?!?) to eat up space on the interior. Dareus and K-Williams are penetrators, best suited to an attacking 43, but everyone looks bad in this defense when the LB's don't make plays.

I don't want to see 2 year growing pains out of this defense, and I don't think Petine or Marrone want to, either. I'd bet they want nothing more than to come out of the gates bangin! So, I wouldn't be surprised to see Petine modify his preferences to the personnel he has. In fact, that was a big thing for Marrone - play to the strength of the team - and, I have to imagine its what he was looking for in assistants.

Still, I'd love to see a truly Hybrid defense here. I want the Bills to be able to think outside of the box, to be the trend setters - and, as long as we're aggressive, mean, fast, and hard hitting, I'll be happy. That nasty, tough element of good defenses has been lacking here for a long time. Even, these past few years, when the Bills would be playing lights out football on defense for, say, three quarters, you still got the impression that it was a soft defense PUTTING ON A SHOW - that before long they'd revert back to getting smoked. And, sure enough, they always did.

I want a defense whose nature is MEAN, TOUGH, HARD HITTING. Like the Jets, or San Fran, or Pittsburgh - a defense that is always good, no matter which players are on the field. That is a reflection of coaching. And, I'm sooooo happy to finally know we've got one of the coaches now to make that happen!

I don't want to see 2 year growing pains out of this defense, and I don't think Petine or Marrone want to, either. I'd bet they want nothing more than to come out of the gates bangin! So, I wouldn't be surprised to see Petine modify his preferences to the personnel he has. In fact, that was a big thing for Marrone - play to the strength of the team - and, I have to imagine its what he was looking for in assistants.

Still, I'd love to see a truly Hybrid defense here. I want the Bills to be able to think outside of the box, to be the trend setters - and, as long as we're aggressive, mean, fast, and hard hitting, I'll be happy. That nasty, tough element of good defenses has been lacking here for a long time. Even, these past few years, when the Bills would be playing lights out football on defense for, say, three quarters, you still got the impression that it was a soft defense PUTTING ON A SHOW - that before long they'd revert back to getting smoked. And, sure enough, they always did.

I want a defense whose nature is MEAN, TOUGH, HARD HITTING. Like the Jets, or San Fran, or Pittsburgh - a defense that is always good, no matter which players are on the field. That is a reflection of coaching. And, I'm sooooo happy to finally know we've got one of the coaches now to make that happen!

THIS !!! YEAH!!!

+ 10

:rolleyes: