Just pure speculation on my part

gjv001

I have been wondering what the Bills are going to do in order to generate excitement for the 2013 season. As this season has shown our roster and coaching staff is not adequate to get us out of the AFC East cellar. And it doesn't appear that this years draft contains a Franchise QB that the Bills marketing team could spin into season ticket sales. Nor does there appear to be a Marquee Head Coach candidate, willing to coach the Bills. So what promotional splash can the Bills do to generate excitement for 2013? I believe Ralph Wilson will hire Jim Kelley to be the new CEO of the Bills. Kelley will have the authority Tom Donahoe had plus he will have the first rights to purchase the Bills. As I said, just speculating.

Good thing you're just speculating. Since we're just speculating though I speculate that you are wrong. Kelly may have an increased role, but it will not be as CEO. I also speculate that there are plenty of good coaches that would want to coach the Bills. It doesn't have to be a "marquee" name. We just picked the wrong coach last time and probably also the wrong GM. With a new leadership team in place, I believe that this team has enough talent to compete. They were badly coached. Lots of guys would want to make their mark with a team like this. I don't believe it would take much tweaking to make this a playoff team. And doing that would help establish a coach as a winner. The trick will be finding the right GM who can recognize the right traits in a coach. Not easily done, but I speculate it is doable

Great minds think alike!!

I tend to share the same thoughts. RW has always stated he wants to own the Bill's until he dies. I have to believe he didn't maybe think his condition would drop off to the point where he appears to be totally uninvolved with the team. Other that coming to the holiday party, has he been to one game this year? I don't believe so. So makes me wonder is he still getting enjoyment from owning the team and would he care what really happens as much if he gave up the position as being in charge?? He also has a 25 year history with Kelly and while Kelly may not do everything RW wants, I do believe RW would know that anything JK does IS in the best interest of the Bill's.

If your idea of Kelly having first right to purchase the team is correct which I tend to agree with, making him CEO would make sense. Based on the TD fiasco, after that RW stated he'd never do that again, but with the way things are going for him health wise, he may have changed his mind. I'd also ask who is the CEO today cause it's not RW anymore. There's a void that needs filling now, it can't wait. Maybe JK is made president, I'd be OK with that too. The Bills do need someone in that role Kelly would also show much stability in that position and I think would help bringing in a better coach. He can show the Bill's do have a long term commitment to western NY.

Another theory I have is upon RW's death his wife Mary gets the team. Many times it's been stated that she doesn't want the team and will sell it. Writers keep repeating that, but I don't believe it's actually been stated recently by RW instead just being repeated what was stated ten years ago. Maybe Mary may woke up one day and decided that the one thing she's less interested in than owning the Bill's would be to pay $400 mil or so in capital gains tax. so she keeps the team in her name, but is a silent owner and again JK runs the team. Maybe they give JK a 5% stake in the team to take this position and again as you suggest has the first right to purchase whether it be from from RW or from his wife..

Edited by Ed_Roch

Let's get real here.

CEO is a business position. Figureheads aside, nothing in Jimbo's record shows he's ready to run an NFL franchise. He has no credential for picking talent or negotiating contracts or doing anything else that would help this franchise. I would love to see him involved, even as the face of the franchise as "President" (with real authority in a VP/GM), but I might rather have Thurman or Tasker or Talley making the decisions.

Mary W. won't sweat the capital gains tax as much as the estate tax, which is a much bigger gouge even before midnight tomorrow.

BTW, I'm not trying to flame the OP. I appreciate the sentiment. I just don't agree.

So who's the CEO of the Bills today? I'd say it's RW. What does he know about those same things picking talent, selecting coaches, or getting contracts done? In a normal business environment, you're correct, but the NFL is far from that. President, CEO are both more figurehead positions in football. I wasn't like some others on this board suggesting Kelly be the GM, that I agree, he's totally unqualified for.

Mary has no reason to sweat estate taxes, If the RW leaves the team to her she'd would then have to die before the estate taxes are due. So if I'm her I'm worrying about capital gains as that comes out of my pocket as soon as I sell the team, estate taxes won't effect her. Plus as has been pointed out in other posts, if she sells the team, she pays capital gains tax, then pockets the proceeds, unless she gives all the money away or squanders it, when she dies, she will still need to pay estate taxes on that money, essentially she's taxed twice.

Let's get real here.

CEO is a business position. Figureheads aside, nothing in Jimbo's record shows he's ready to run an NFL franchise. He has no credential for picking talent or negotiating contracts or doing anything else that would help this franchise. I would love to see him involved, even as the face of the franchise as "President" (with real authority in a VP/GM), but I might rather have Thurman or Tasker or Talley making the decisions.

Mary W. won't sweat the capital gains tax as much as the estate tax, which is a much bigger gouge even before midnight tomorrow.

BTW, I'm not trying to flame the OP. I appreciate the sentiment. I just don't agree.

Not once but you spelled Kelly's name wrong twice

How does this happen?

I'm so tired of hearing no one wants Bills head coaching job just bc Cowher, Shanahan and Brian frigging Schottenheimer turned them done

Edited by Max997

Kelly will have the authority Tom Donahoe had plus he will have the first rights to purchase the Bills. As I said, just speculating.

Where does Kelly get any amount of significant amount of $$$ to buy the Bills? His career earnings are probably what Mario made this year alone. Different era of salaries