Roster better now than it was 3 yrs ago?

Maddog69

So many people here say without question that the roster is much better now than it was 3 years ago. But I honestly don't believe it is. If at all, I think it is marginally better at best and it seems that the rest of the league agrees. The Bills have nobody going to the probowl while 2 players (Whitner and Lynch) who were here 3 years ago are going. I think our O-line is clearly better than 3yrs ago. Almost every other position is either the same or worse.

I think in most areas it is at least a little bit better then in 2009. Looking at the 2009 roster, the only area that I see that was obviously better then was Wide Receiver. Quarterback may have been a tad better with Fitz and Edwards, but it still sucked. Running back was probably about equal with a younger Fred Jackson and Marshawn Lynch. Just about every other position, I think the current roster is better, which is really sad because the number of wins keeps getting lower each year.

I think without a doubt the talent is better on the roster. I think if you gave Jauron's coaching staff this roster he would have had the team in the playoffs.

I kinda makes me ill to say it, but you are probably correct. Edited by BuffBill

I think without a doubt the talent is better on the roster. I think if you gave Jauron's coaching staff this roster he would have had the team in the playoffs.

I don't know about the statement about the record....I will say the Offense is better under Chan, and more entertaining. But, the defense is worse under Gailey, the 3x4 4x3 shift has been terrible, and the coaches he picked have not done the job. THAT is Chans worst failing as head coach, not the Offense and Fitzpatrick. The offense would be good enough to win with a respectable defense, something we have not seen in Chan's three years. The only thing I can say in his defense is that many coaches will not come here because of the unstable franchaise situation.

Well thought out and put together.

I disagree only regarding RB (I'd give the slight edge to 2009, but imagine what a Lynch/Spiller pair might have done), and DL (shouldn't be with the $$$ they spent but again, a slight advantage to 2009).

The Lynch of 2009 wasn't the Lynch we are seeing in 2012. He started 6 games in 2009 losing his starting job to Fred Jackson.

Edited by Dibs

I don't know about the statement about the record....I will say the Offense is better under Chan, and more entertaining. But, the defense is worse under Gailey, the 3x4 4x3 shift has been terrible, and the coaches he picked have not done the job. THAT is Chans worst failing as head coach, not the Offense and Fitzpatrick. The offense would be good enough to win with a respectable defense, something we have not seen in Chan's three years. The only thing I can say in his defense is that many coaches will not come here because of the unstable franchaise situation.

The offense would be good enough if we were up by 4 touchdowns every game. If it is a close game, forget it, Fitz chokes every single time.

Whats your logic that KC has 5 guys heading to the Pro Bowl...5!!!!

That there are exceptions to the rule. If you didn't know, now you knooooooow.....

Frank Gore got named over 2 lesser known backs that had 200-300 hundred more yards than him as well as double digit tds. Neither of the other RBs are going to the playoffs. Believe what you like, but the pro bowl isn't a good tool to measure talent.

The niners are starting 3 of the 4 LBs and both safeties. I've watched niner games all year. Donte isn't much better than he was in Buffalo. Constantly getting beat in coverage on 3rd. He makes big hits and runs his mouth the same. Now he plays for a sick nasty defense and is the beneficiary.

if there is more talent it does not show during play, that is for sure. no, probowlers says it all.

So is the problem, bad coaching or an overall lack of talent? Is the coach failing because he is trying to be creative because of the lack of talent and he is just no good at being creative?

Yeah, I don't think Gailey has done very well but having no pro bowlers 2 years in a row screams volumes of how weak the talent is that Gailey has had to work with.

I've often said that we would have been better off if we kept Jauron as HC, Fewell as DC and hired Chan as OC

I've often said that we would have been better off if we kept Jauron as HC, Fewell as DC and hired Chan as OC

I seriously doubt you will see Chan employed anywhere in the NFL for a long time, if ever again once the Bills wise up and send him packing. He didn't make it through the preseason as OC in Kansas City a few years ago before he was fired.

Whats your logic that KC has 5 guys heading to the Pro Bowl...5!!!!

I have no explanation other than there are always data points outside the norm. And KC has very good skill position players. Many thought they were going to the playoffs, even with Matt Cassel as their QB.

Plus, this franchise hasn't made the playoffs in 13 years. I am sure that has some kind of effect on things.

IMO the roster is better.....but not by much.

QB = chop

2009: Fitz

2012: Fitz

RBs = 2012(slight edge)

2009: FJ & Lynch

2012: FJ & CJ

WRs = 2009

2009: SJ, Evans, Reed, Owens

2012: SJ, Jones, Graham, Smith

OL = 2012

2009: Wood(rookie), Levitre(rookie), Kirk Chambers, Jonathon Scott, Hangartner

2012: Wood, Levitre, Cordy Glenn, Erik Pears(Hairston), Urbik

TE = 2012

2009: Nelson

2012: Chandler

DL = 2012

2009: Schobel, Kelsay, Denney, Kyle Williams, Marcus Stroud, Spencer Johnson

2012: Mario Williams, Anderson, Moore, Kyle Williams, Marcel Darius, Carrington

LBs = chop

2009: Posluszny & a bunch of other scrubs

2012: Bradham, Sheppard, Barnett

DBs = 2009

2009: Florence, McGee, Corner, Whitner, Byrd(rookie), Wilson

2012: Gilmore, Williams, Rogers, Byrd, Wilson, Searcy

Nice job ^

I would call it even at RB and the 2009 DL played better than the underachieving 2012 version.

Yes --- Clearly the OL got better and the secondary got worse.

Hard to believe how bad the LBs have been and for such a long time.

In the Polian/Butler/Levy/Phillips era we had many excellent LBs. Some had short careers but the talent level was high.