Kelly to front office?

BuffaloPride

I've always liked the idea of having players from the successful era's of a franchise in the front office. Maybe not in huge roles, but at least in consultant roles. They would be there to at least say "that's definitely not what we did when we had success." While time changes the NFL, there are basic elements of success that are apparent in all eras, and they would have an idea what that is.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This move couldn't hurt, I mean we haven't made the playoffs since I had hair on my head. If all he knows is how to grab a quality QB he would be worth it. Let's face it a solid NFL QB will make anyone in the front office look like a genius. You can't keep playing with mediocre QB's and expect to win games in the NFL.

What in the world qualifies him to evaluate any qb?

Well as long as they fire Nix, gailey,Wanstache and 10 more or so and kick the players in the but to get playing it doesn't matter who they bring in to polish this turd of a team and they need a coach with fire and emotion !

You mean like Les Steckel and Frank Gansz?

No.

What the Bills need is a competent coach, regardless of style.

edit:

or Rod Marinelli who is a more recent example of a failed "fire and emotion" coach.

But he's not a smart guy. I could see another Matt Millen/isiah Thomas kind of scenario

My earlier post was kind of off the cuff.

I just remember when Nix was hired and Ralph saying something to the effect "we don't know anyone in the NFL."

To me that was an indictment of Brandon. I guess I'd just prefer if the CEO was a football guy.

But he's not a smart guy. I could see another Matt Millen/isiah Thomas kind of scenario

Sometimes I hate to agree with you, but I agree with you here. Has a lot of disaster potential. Could work but a lot of reasons to proceed with caution.

My earlier post was kind of off the cuff.

I just remember when Nix was hired and Ralph saying something to the effect "we don't know anyone in the NFL."

To me that was an indictment of Brandon. I guess I'd just prefer if the CEO was a football guy.

We've gotten more and more insulated the last few years it seems. Even our football guys (nix and gailey) don't have huge nfl connections or history. I don't know if adding a guy that only played in buffalo, lives in buffalo, never worked for another team really changes that. Adds a little name recognition, but I'm not sure he has big connections, or a tremendous professional reputation- even if he was a good qb.

We've gotten more and more insulated the last few years it seems. Even our football guys (nix and gailey) don't have huge nfl connections or history. I don't know if adding a guy that only played in buffalo, lives in buffalo, never worked for another team really changes that. Adds a little name recognition, but I'm not sure he has big connections, or a tremendous professional reputation- even if he was a good qb.

Basically my post was a conceit on the idea that anyone would know more people in the NFL than Brandon.

I know Jeff Fisher's brother so I consider myself more connected than Brandon.

:)

Basically my post was a conceit on the idea that anyone would know more people in the NFL than Brandon.

I know Jeff Fisher's brother so I consider myself more connected than Brandon.

Sadly, in his own way Shawne merriman really took over that role more than anyone else. Not great for pulling coaches but he might be the most connected guy in the building (even when Kelly's around). It's a real issue to keep an eye on. With regards to coaching and front office the buffalo tree seems to extend to SD and then just double back to orchard park. The constant turnover of coaches, coupled with some never ending loyalty in the front office has really left us isolated in some ways.

Lucky we have you around though!

Edited by NoSaint

Think he could bring that jay clocker fella to play qb?

I'll ask Jeff's brother to ask Munchak if he's interested.

Hopefullly I'll have an answer by tomorrow's meeting when we discuss Caldwell's qualifications.

You WILL have that report ready by the morning meeting I assume?

Or is Heitz preparing the report?

This GM stuff is kinda confusing.

JK doesn't have to know how to run the front office. He just needs to know how to pick good football players and and make sure the team is practicing and preparing to win correctly during the week. Is this a precursor to keeping Chan and Nix?

I dont think Russ is liking the results Chan has giving them. They see what we see.

They have to do something to re-energize the fan base. Hiring Jim Kelly back into the organization can't be anything but good. But what role will he have? That's my question.

It would also make Thurman tweet make more sense, why wouldnt he be amped up to see his former QB and Hall of Famer with an ownership title.

That what I would like to see. Somehow make Jim chairman. He would have more or the same power as Russ Brandon. If that's the case Buddy and Chan are toast.

But I think Jim has a plan and if true think big. :)