home heater boiler [mine] catches fire

Water heater? I guess a boiler does heat water by definition but maybe you should get familiar with the facts here. With your lack of knowledge of the facts it is preposterous that you are giving advice or making judgements. Do you float through everything in life?

No. You are being the assclown. Jim can handle himself without you butting in.

This from page one:

Is it a steam boiler or a hot water boiler?

What kind of fuel does it use?

I know from a zoning perspective that many places require a concrete or similar floor underneath a boiler.

JiA : Hot water. NG. FD inspected and approved the boiler room in 2009.

He keeps saying that his tenants do no have hot water. Then what caught fire must been a combination (combi) hot water heater/boiler. I can see the space heaters being used to heat the living space... Even know 2 months in the dead of winter can be a safety (and another fire) hazard Is there another water heater tank to supply hot water? Is there a valve to shut the water supply off to the heating system? Good for them that they were offered hotels... But nobody should be crying that it is taking 2 months given these facts. The tenants did not want to leave. In very rare instances things do just catch fire. When something does catch fire or there are systems that have the potential to do so, the structure around it is usually built to handle it or contain it. Sounds like the building department wants to be sure. All we hear is one side of the story here: The conservative, anti-gov't slant. It would be great to hear what the city building department thinks of them being called slow, lazy, Super Bowl pool filling out bureaucrats. Betcha they have a 180 degree perspective on Jim and his contractor OR people like Jim and his contractor?

Again... From the start of this thread... Sounds like major damage. 2 months is a long freaking time BUT, to get the repair done right AND for almost sure possibility that Allstate will never, ever have to pay out a major claim to Jim again IS worth the wait.

So take a hike 3rd and leave until you can add something worthwhile.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. You are being the assclown. Jim can handle himself without you butting in.

This from page one:

Is it a steam boiler or a hot water boiler?

What kind of fuel does it use?

I know from a zoning perspective that many places require a concrete or similar floor underneath a boiler.

JiA : Hot water. NG. FD inspected and approved the boiler room in 2009.

He keeps saying that his tenants do no have hot water. Then what caught fire must been a combination (combi) hot water heater/boiler. I can see the space heaters being used to heat the living space... Even know 2 months in the dead of winter can be a safety (and another fire) hazard Is there another water heater tank to supply hot water? Is there a valve to shut the water supply off to the heating system? Good for them that they were offered hotels... But nobody should be crying that it is taking 2 months given these facts. The tenants did not want to leave. In very rare instances things do just catch fire. When something does catch fire or there are systems that have the potential to do so, the structure around it is usually built to handle it or contain it. Sounds like the building department wants to be sure. All we hear is one side of the story here: The conservative, anti-gov't slant. It would be great to hear what the city building department thinks of them being called slow, lazy, Super Bowl pool filling out bureaucrats. Betcha they have a 180 degree perspective on Jim and his contractor OR people like Jim and his contractor?

Again... From the start of this thread... Sounds like major damage. 2 months is a long freaking time BUT, to get the repair done right AND for almost sure possibility that Allstate will never, ever have to pay out a major claim to Jim again IS worth the wait.

So take a hike 3rd and leave until you can add something worthwhile.

Must have been? Did you ever consider that when a boiler catches fire the gas to the whole building is shut off? I would say think before you post but I know that's impossible. The city isn't taking time to do it right they just aren't.doing anything at all and you fail to see the difference.

Must have been? Did you ever consider that when a boiler catches fire the gas to the whole building is shut off? I would say think before you post but I know that's impossible. The city isn't taking time to do it right they just aren't.doing anything at all and you fail to see the difference.

If you stop responding to his stupidity, he'll stop responding with his stupidity. It's a pretty simple concept, really.

Must have been? Did you ever consider that when a boiler catches fire the gas to the whole building is shut off?

Yes, I considered it from the start.

What are your tenants doing for hot water? You never really explained this.

If you stop responding to his stupidity, he'll stop responding with his stupidity. It's a pretty simple concept, really.

For your sake AD, hope you don't live next to his tinder trap.

All tenants where offered hotels. They prefer to stay at home. I don't know what your friend has against space heaters, a single 1500 watt unit will keep a 600 sq foot apartment at 80 degrees. And I gave them 3.

I give them $260 a month to compensate for the electric the heaters use. What else can I do?

He says he has nothing against them and believes they will keep the place warm but he wouldn't have taken any chances of having another fire with space heaters because he views them as a dangerous alternative. He says he would have informed his tenants the building wasn't suitable for living. He also said he totally believes you that the city inspector has been a pain in the @ss for you because he has dealt with the issue here in Chicago and that getting plans approved and premits do take some time but he has never waited 2 months even here in Chicago with all the regulations and back log of problems people have with the city buildings department. He seems to think that if you have been waiting 2 months that your contractors plans were rejected once if not twice because they were inccorect?

Tomato and Exhiled joining up. This is like the opposite of strength in numbers. We should listen to these Chicago guys--maybe they can tell us how to operate a budget or control the violence in your "hood".

Oh please 3rd! I seldomly chime in on most of the topics! EIL doesn't need my assistance at all he seems to do a pretty good job mopping the floor with you on a regular basis!

Edited by tomato can

First of all purple monkey dishwasher stay away. I am doing this in real life, not you're fantasy government is good Internet world.

Still no heat or hot water. Remember the fire was 12/22/2012. Zero work was done for two weeks till the city approved the contractors building plans yesterday. They had 15 days to approve the plan's and used all of them.

Apparently they couldn't decide if the property was commercial or residential. 4 units[me] = residential. 5+ units = commercial. Everybody in the world know's that except the pencil pushing bureaucrats that work? for the city of Anchorage.

So the city gives the OK at 2:30 PM yesterday[how can I thank them?] Now that they are out of the way the contractor is going to town. Trusses dropped off at 6 PM last night being put in place as I type.

This whole thing would have been done a month ago but for government interference/ laziness.

BTW for you liberals the big bad evil money sucking, worker exploiting corporation known as Allstate has been gold to me. All they do is write checks, often for more than I asked for.

I thought I made it clear he wasn't welcome but I guess he's like the guy at a party that everyone wishes would leave because he's a obnoxious ignorant buffoon. Everyone sees it but him.

As far as me responding as a rule I never reply to his childish posts but being called a BSing slumlord by someone who counts carp for a living is to much.

I thought I made it clear he wasn't welcome...

There is an ignore button, get to know it when people call your crazy partisan rants out. That ignore button can really be your buddy @ times.

Again... You started it by ripping into people when this thread was still Off the Wall (pun intended). Now you wanna play further crybaby when people call your partisan crap BS.

Poor Jim and his tenants... Being rubbed out by big nasty gov't. Well I will tell what... If they do find the need to rub people out it is because they are trying to break the back of slumlords. That is a good thing. Your tenants were offered hotels, they must not be too put out by all this if they refuse to take up the hotel offer. What's the problem? Beside whining that I am pissing on your BS parade.

He says he has nothing against them and believes they will keep the place warm but he wouldn't have taken any chances of having another fire with space heaters because he views them as a dangerous alternative. He says he would have informed his tenants the building wasn't suitable for living. He also said he totally believes you that the city inspector has been a pain in the @ss for you because he has dealt with the issue here in Chicago and that getting plans approved and premits do take some time but he has never waited 2 months even here in Chicago with all the regulations and back log of problems people have with the city buildings department. He seems to think that if you have been waiting 2 months that your contractors plans were rejected once if not twice because they were inccorect?

Oh please 3rd! I seldomly chime in on most of the topics! EIL doesn't need my assistance at all he seems to do a pretty good job mopping the floor with you on a regular basis!

Well both the Anchorage FD and Allstate disagree with your friends opinion on the safety of the heaters. Both parties saw and approved them. They are completely enclosed units that look like miniature radiators. They heat and circulate a liquid heating medium. I could pour gas on them with out a fire.

Plans rejected? Doubtful. The contractor is a well known nation wide firm. It's in their interests to get this job done quickly.

For Christ's sake it's a boiler room, not a 100 story hotel.

If that's what you think then you have some serious problems.

I blame myself. I set Jim up with a softball lob and EiI came swooping in brandishing his own agenda in a fit of pique like OP did once on me on a night of heavy drinking. I was setting up the loonies with a suggestion that the draft be reinstated, and he came crashing in saying how terrible the draft was to the armed forces (truth, for sure) but then disparaged the 60k plus dead Americans of my generation and pontificating how he and his ilk had to come in and rescue the services all the while complaining like he was the start guest at a Secret Service bukkake party that didn't get paid for his service.

**** happens. Get over it. Find something else to post about.

I blame myself. I set Jim up with a softball lob and EiI came swooping in brandishing his own agenda in a fit of pique like OP did once on me on a night of heavy drinking. I was setting up the loonies with a suggestion that the draft be reinstated, and he came crashing in saying how terrible the draft was to the armed forces (truth, for sure) but then disparaged the 60k plus dead Americans of my generation and pontificating how he and his ilk had to come in and rescue the services all the while complaining like he was the start guest at a Secret Service bukkake party that didn't get paid for his service.

Who's OP?

WTF did you do? Nothing. Don't blame yourself... It was Jim's own doing . When this thread was still on Off the Wall, he threw this pile of puke out:

How do these lazy over paid government/union workers occupy their "work" days? Posting on football forums? 4 families have been without hot water for over a month now because of a grossly inefficient bureaucracy. I have to scramble to explain to renters why nothing is being done

Yet the left on PPP say I would be in good hands with government. Yet I put my self in the good hands of a evil insurance company and they are paying the bills and making things happen. The government is throwing road blocks in my way. Edited by Jim in Anchorage, 26 January 2013 - 04:50 AM.

What did you think was going to happen? "Good hands?" LoL... These renters of his WILLFULLY refused to go to a hotel. It must not be a big problem taking cold showers in Anchorage during the middle of winter!

Why is he scrambling to explain to renters? Insurance company paying the bills w/no work being done? Maybe he should have took all that money and expedited matters by paying extra for emergency permits and weekend inspections? WTF is going on here? The renters were offered hot water @ a hotel. Crying out loud, this pity party is getting out of hand, let alone another month went by! My agenda? Sure looks like Jim has the chip on his shoulder... No wonder nothing can get done for two months.

We just aren't being told the whole truth here. Yet, Jim's approach of flinging sh*t and hoping it sticks is revered around here... Go figure with this anti-govt crowd. I am not the one getting banned off the big boards for turning things political.

You are right Nanker: "Find something else to post about." Sorry, a made up pity party about being raked over the coals by a big bad gov't that does not care just doesn't float. There is so many holes in this story that it should be playing for the Sabres defense!

That's about the only response he deserves. He is now following me to other threads. One creepy dude.

What's funny is how he let's things get under his skin so easily. Not that I would ever try to set him off. This wacky guy who has probably breathed in too many diesel fumes to go along with being dropped on his head as a child, has mastered the art of irony. He calls other people assclowns and admonishes them for not ever posting anything worthwhile.

• 2 weeks later...

What's funny is how he let's things get under his skin so easily. Not that I would ever try to set him off. This wacky guy who has probably breathed in too many diesel fumes to go along with being dropped on his head as a child, has mastered the art of irony. He calls other people assclowns and admonishes them for not ever posting anything worthwhile.

I have abandoned the thread because it was infected by a retard. And people thought Conner was a goof ball?

I have abandoned the thread because it was infected by a retard. And people thought Conner was a goof ball?

It's just that you don't want to admit that you have let the government down, what with all your criticism of their efficient way of handling things.