Will we make history if we bring back Gailey?

I know that one incompetent organization brought back a loser coach for a fourth year after three losing seasons, but has any team in the history of the NFL brought back a coach for a fourth year after compiling 15 wins or less in his first three years? I'm sure its happened but I'm too lazy to look it up. As an aside, how about Mike Zimmer as head coach, assuming he can bring in a competent OC.

Chuck Noll was 12-30 in his first 3 years in Pittsburgh. His record in the next 3 years? 31-10-1, with his first superbowl championship in the last of those 3 years after making the playoffs the other 2. Pretty sure lots of people wanted him fired after his third year in Pitsburgh too...

Noll coached the Steelers for 20 more years after his first 3 dreadful seasons and only had 4 losing records in those 20 seasons, including none for 13 straight years.

Tom Landry was 9-28-3 in his first 3 years, including going 0-11-1 his first year. In fact, his first 5 years he was 18-46-4 in his first 5 years before posting 21 straight non losing seasons, including 5 super bowl appearences and 2 super bowl championships.

Coaches look great when they have good players, and not so great when they don't.

Edited by matter2003

Chuck Noll was 12-30 in his first 3 years in Pittsburgh. His record in the next 3 years? 31-10-1, with his first superbowl championship in the last of those 3 years after making the playoffs the other 2. Pretty sure lots of people wanted him fired after his third year in Pitsburgh too...

Noll coached the Steelers for 20 more years after his first 3 dreadful seasons and only had 4 losing records in those 20 seasons, including none for 13 straight years.

Tom Landry was 9-28-3 in his first 3 years, including going 0-11-1 his first year. In fact, his first 5 years he was 18-46-4 in his first 5 years before posting 21 straight non losing seasons, including 5 super bowl appearences and 2 super bowl championships.

Coaches look great when they have good players, and not so great when they don't.

Jeez, comparing a total loser to Tom Landry and Chuck Noll?

yea, you are talking about two HoF coaches with inept rosters they needed to build up to start winning. The difference is Gailey could have 20 years, and it would be 20 years of failure as he just doesn't know how to win.

Just look at the talent on the Bills defense this season, and yet they were near last in every defensive category all year. It was so bad they set franchise and NFL records for being bad. The Bills were 4th overall in rushing this season with Spiller & Jackson, and 24th in passing with Fitz. yet this HC kept calling for shotgun passing plays all game.

This Bills team is lacking talent alright, talent on the sideline in terms of coaching. Go look at Fitz try and run a 2 min drill to win the game. He couldn't do it, the players besides the QB didn't know what to do. Its all about coaching. The ineptitude on this coaching staff has been unbelievably bad for 3 years now.

Jeez, comparing a total loser to Tom Landry and Chuck Noll?

yea, you are talking about two HoF coaches with inept rosters they needed to build up to start winning. The difference is Gailey could have 20 years, and it would be 20 years of failure as he just doesn't know how to win.

Just look at the talent on the Bills defense this season, and yet they were near last in every defensive category all year. It was so bad they set franchise and NFL records for being bad. The Bills were 4th overall in rushing this season with Spiller & Jackson, and 24th in passing with Fitz. yet this HC kept calling for shotgun passing plays all game.

This Bills team is lacking talent alright, talent on the sideline in terms of coaching. Go look at Fitz try and run a 2 min drill to win the game. He couldn't do it, the players besides the QB didn't know what to do. Its all about coaching. The ineptitude on this coaching staff has been unbelievably bad for 3 years now.

I agree that coaching is important but show me a HOF coach and I will show you a HOF QB. Which begets which is always open to debate. Is it Bellichek or Brady? Walsh or Montana? Levy or Kelly? Probably both. They always seem to go hand in hand though.

I agree that coaching is important but show me a HOF coach and I will show you a HOF QB. Which begets which is always open to debate. Is it Bellichek or Brady? Walsh or Montana? Levy or Kelly? Probably both. They always seem to go hand in hand though.

How about I show you a HoF coach with more then one HoF QB. Bill Walsh had Joe Montana and then took a guy who everyone considered a bust in Tampa Bay and turned him into a HoF, SB winning QB in Steve Young.

That same style West Coast offense that produced Joe Montana & Steve Young also got John Elway 2x superbowls with Mike Shanahan. Elway was a 3x SP loser before Shanhan. That Bronco team had Gary Kubiak as OC but Shanahan learned the WCO as OC under Bill Walsh The Bronco's utilized a run heavy offense with zone blocking, RB Terrell Davis league MVP.

That same WCO that developed Brett Favre under Mike Holmgren went on to develop Aaron Rodgers under Mike McCarthy. McCarthy worked under both Holmgren and Walsh in SF. Holmgren won a SB with Brett Favre and also went to a SB with QB Matt Hasselbeck in Seattle.

Andy Reid learned that WCO offense under Holmgren and went to a SB with Donovan McNabb. Jon Gruden another WCO disciple who worked under Holmgren won a SB in Tampa.

Bill Cowher 15 years at the helm of the Steelers who went to a SB and lost with scrub QB's and then finally won one with Big Ben. 8 playoff appearances with scrub QB's but still a winner all that time.

Don Schula was already a SB winning HC with a great defense and running game, then went back to the SB with HoF QB Dan Marino and lost.

Tom Landry 28 years as a HC 250-162-6. .607%

Chuck Noll 23 years as HC 193-148-1 .566%

Its my contention that winning coaches find a way to get a future HoF QB. I say find a winning HC and he will find the winning QB.