Average of 85 gun deaths each day in US

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cuz 60 inch tv's and priuses have been so often used in multiple murders...

Actually cars have been. Also, everyone want's to blame video games, which last I checked were on TV's via a video console. That being said the bigger TV's have made it more dramatic and life-like. People have had rifles, etc... forever in this country. The bigger differences have been the recent shoot-em-up games and bigger TV's. Seems like they are more of the cause than guns.

To those who strongly favor gun control....what matters, Intentions or results ? ?

Questions for Gun Controllers .......If a policy doesn’t produce the intended results, why pursue it?

In the wake of the Newtown massacre, a call has gone up for a conversation about our gun laws. To that end, here are questions for advocates of gun control who are pushing for a ban on assault weapons and high-capacity magazines, among other new restrictions, to address school shootings.

What’s the functional difference between an assault weapon and a semiautomatic rifle? You do understand that the answer is “nothing”? An assault weapon is not an automatic weapon. It is semiautomatic like most guns now sold in the United States, i.e., it fires every time the trigger is pulled. What sets it apart is its scary-looking features.

What’s more powerful, the Bushmaster .223 used by Adam Lanza in his slaughter or the average deer-hunting rifle? If the answer is the average deer-hunting rifle — indeed, many states ban the Bushmaster .223 for deer hunting because it is too weak — will you attempt to ban them, too?

What gun law would have stopped Newtown? Please be specific. Adam Lanza’s mother didn’t have a criminal record. Neither did he. If the Bushmaster .223 had been banned, he could have done the same with a semiautomatic rifle. If all semiautomatic rifles were banned — something that would never pass Congress — he could have done the same with a semiautomatic handgun. If high-capacity magazines had been banned, he could have reloaded with smaller magazines.

How many guns are in the United States? The answer is 280 million. In a country with that many guns, how is gun control possibly going to succeed? If you ban a small subset of new guns for sale, what are you going to do about the rest? Let’s say you succeed beyond anything that is remotely possible. Let’s say you somehow stop the new sale of guns altogether and somehow decommission half of existing guns. What are you going to do with the other 140 million guns?

Does the Virginia Tech massacre affect your view of the efficacy of an assault-weapons ban? In 2007, Seung-Hui Cho perpetrated the deadliest shooting in the country’s history. He killed 32 people using two semiautomatic handguns.

Why has violent crime declined in the United States during the past 20 years even as gun ownership has ticked up? According to Gallup, nearly half of adults have a gun on their property, the highest number since 1993. Why has crime declined even as gun-control laws have been liberalized?

{snip}

There have been hundreds of murders with guns this year in Chicago, where gun laws are restrictive. What new gun laws does the city need to stop the tide of mayhem? There have been hundreds more in New York City, where the mayor is the foremost anti-gun scold in the country. What new gun laws does New York need?

Why aren’t violent crimes routinely committed at gun ranges teeming with people who own multiple weapons, some of them quite dangerous-looking, and who enjoy shooting them?

Why do gun-free-school laws never succeed in stopping lunatics bent on murder from taking guns to schools?

Edited by B-Man

There have been hundreds more in New York City, where the mayor is the foremost anti-gun scold in the country. What new gun laws does New York need?

Speaking of the world's biggest short hypocrite ...

"It is such a rare occurrence that no matter how tragic it is, it shouldn't change our lifestyle."

"I don't know that there is a ways to prevent," he said. "There's always going to be somebody, a deranged person. You can say it's only two out of the 3 or 4 million people that ride the subway every day, but two is two too many. Unfortunately, there are people who are mentally deranged."

With all due respect, its not your !@#$ing business why I "need" anything that (right now) is legal to obtain.

Cars are a means of transportation, smoking is something people do to relieve stress, People get a TV for entertainment. The purpose of a gun is to kill. So when you buy something that is built with a degree of malice people might want to know why.

That's "why" people might want to know why you "need" it.

The only thing that has changed is that the media is making a stink out of it and making those that agree with the media think that there is some great groundswell of public opinion against the 2nd amendment. The media can't even differentiate between automatic, semi-automatic and assault weapons. The AR-15 is no more deadly than a hunting rifle with a clip, but because it looks like an M-16 the media is coming out against it.

A hunting rifle with a clip is might be a little more deadly depending on how fast you can pull the trigger.

Remember this story from last week? The RPG turned in at a gun buy back program in Los Angeles?

It was a non-functional prop from a film set. That was my first thought when I saw it, just by seeing the story's dateline location. You can see the labels in a different photo:

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/531851_10151254285122758_1230744598_n.jpg?dl=1

And the stevestojan of it is that the Law Enforcement people who held a press conference to showcase this KNEW it, lied bald-faced straight into the cameras, and were trying to sell this canard to further a political objective. In a just world, they would be fired.

Not that it matters now. It's in the collective mindset.

Just like the 1% tip for the waitress that was an OWS fake, the far left knows they only have to trigger an initial story where a sympathetic-cause reporter will swallow everything. In the resulting walk-back when the truth is revealed, only a certain percentage of the people who saw the original story on page A1 will see the correction on page G16, and the liberal cause is advanced.

Just like the 1% tip for the waitress that was an OWS fake, the far left knows they only have to trigger an initial story where a sympathetic-cause reporter will swallow everything. In the resulting walk-back when the truth is revealed, only a certain percentage of the people who saw the original story on page A1 will see the correction on page G16, and the liberal cause is advanced.

we had good teachers in the neocons in the build up to the iraq war...

You, despite our political differences, seem to me like you're a pretty bright guy. Please reread and repost rather than begging me to attack your reading comprehension.

Well, my comprehension isn't the best. After reading it again I'm still get getting your point. Both people are using their rights. People have a right to own a gun and people also have a right to information through the freedom of information act. The fact that a person is using that information the concoct a map of where the gun owners are is a complete moron for doing so doesn't filter into the equation when you look at it as a matter of what is a right.

It's looking at crap like this that makes me wonder if the nation isn't really on a path of self destruction.