Idiots Abound

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"We've systematically removed God from our schools. Should we be so surprised that schools would become a place of carnage?"

Mike Huckabee

Seriously. Go !@#$ yourself.

Yeah I've seen that quote all over FB. Annoying as hell.

Oops

Reminds me of that Simpsons episode where Ned is the principal :lol:

Yeah I've seen that quote all over FB. Annoying as hell.

Oops

Reminds me of that Simpsons episode where Ned is the principal :lol:

For a minister, and a man I used to respect, he's managed to offend anyone who believes in God and atheists all in one quote.

For a minister, and a man I used to respect, he's managed to offend anyone who believes in God and atheists all in one quote.

As I said in the other thread, everyone is trying to find a reason. Sometimes there isn't one. What Huckabee said is probably the dumbest statement outside of arming teachers.

Edited by meazza

As I said in the other thread, everyone is trying to find a reason. Sometimes there isn't one.

Truth.

Edit: wait, did I start a repeat thread? If so, apologies, I've been gone for a week or so.

Edited by tgreg99

Christian theology dictates that God is all loving and all powerful.

Using even a modicum of logic, statements like these directly contrast with the most basic tenets of Christianity. Going by Huckabee's (and others') words, either...

1) God is omnipotent, but remains vengeful. That is, he kills children out of spite.

2) God is loving, but ultimately toothless. His power ceases to exist because we decided to "remove" him from schools.

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine

As I said in the other thread, everyone is trying to find a reason. Sometimes there isn't one. What Huckabee said is probably the dumbest statement outside of arming teachers.

You summed it up right there. However, I don't think his intent was dumb, but the message will not resonate with everyone, only those that believe in a higher power.

Replace God with "humility, compassion, or love". Some members of society seem to be de-sensitized to the value of human life. Be it violent movies, violent video games, texting, twitter, etc., the emotional connections are have become sterile.

Edited by ACor58

You summed it up right there. However, I don't think his intent was dumb, but the message will not resonate with everyone, only those that believe in a higher power.

Replace God with "humility, compassion, or love". Some members of society seem to be de-sensitized to the value of human life. Be it violent movies, violent video games, texting, twitter, etc., the emotional connections are have become sterile.

That's a cop out. I believe in a higher power but it's the ultimate in man's arrogance to assume that we could ever "remove God" from ANYTHING.

I suppose it's good to know that it's no longer the fault of guns, but rather is the fault of God.

/facepalm

Not God, but our legislation of keeping church and state separate. It's our fault because we follow the constitution and God hates the constitution.

That's a cop out. I believe in a higher power but it's the ultimate in man's arrogance to assume that we could ever "remove God" from ANYTHING.

So do I - but I guess I was not offended by his statement, perhaps I am giving him the benefit of the doubt. What cannot be understated is that society, as a whole, has changed for the worse. Do you know that we have averaged a mass shooting every 4 months since 2005. Think about that for a second. Everyone is looking for answers - some think the answer is more religion, some think the answer is more government, and I will be the first to tell you that I have no answers.

One thing is certain - the toothpaste is out of the bottle and its not going back in.

Edited by ACor58

I had some pretty !@#$ed up teachers in high school. I don't think I'd have liked going to a school knowing they were packing.

Agreed.

Not to mention your average elementary school teacher is probably a 27 year old girl who weighs 110 pounds and has never held a gun in her life. But we're going to 'train' her so that at a moment's notice and under extreme fear for her life, she'll be able to access her firearm from the locked cabinet at the same time she's trying to herd 20 terrified six year olds into the closet, load the weapon and then outshoot the guy with the AR-15. Solid plan.

You absolutely are. Start the thread.

We're in it. Huckabee's statements, depending on how you wish to interpret absolute idiocy, points the fingers at we the people who have removed God from schools. The people did no such thing.

Religion has ZERO place in government. The founding fathers, the overwhelming majority of whom were NOT practicing Christians but instead Diests (if not out right atheists) feared religion's reach into government. Read Jefferson or Madison's works, then come back and talk about it.

We're in it. Huckabee's statements, depending on how you wish to interpret absolute idiocy, points the fingers at we the people who have removed God from schools. The people did no such thing.

Religion has ZERO place in government. The founding fathers, the overwhelming majority of whom were NOT practicing Christians but instead Diests (if not out right atheists) feared religion's reach into government. Read Jefferson or Madison's works, then come back and talk about it.

Wrong.

http://www.usconstitution.net/consttop_reli.html

Re-read the article. It supports exactly what I'm saying.

Also, read through the enlightenment philosophies that shaped the men who created the constitution. The enlightenment was a direct rebuttal to the religious tyranny that savaged Europe for generations and stunted scientific and social development.

To argue that the Founding Fathers were anything other than fearful of a religious state (be it Christian or otherwise) wielding power over the people is a fundamental perversion of history if not an outright misunderstanding of the principles which our republic was built upon.