Mitt Won Something This Year

Gugny

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2012/dec/12/lie-year-2012-Romney-Jeeps-China/

Lie of the Year: the Romney campaign's ad on Jeeps made in China

It was a lie told in the critical state of Ohio in the final days of a close campaign -- that Jeep was moving its U.S. production to China. It originated with a conservative blogger, who twisted an accurate news story into a falsehood. Then it picked up steam when the Drudge Report ran with it. Even though Jeep's parent company gave a quick and clear denial, Mitt Romney repeated it and his campaign turned it into a TV ad.

I saw this earlier. It's more an indictment of Politifact, which is a left-wing activist group. According to its own article the "lie" was a misinterpretation of a Bloomberg story by Paul Bedard that was run in the Washington Examiner, & relied on by Romney.

It sounds like a case of failure to check your source's source more than an outright lie. It's certainly a stretch to call that the biggest lie of the year.

I saw this earlier. It's more an indictment of Politifact, which is a left-wing activist group. According to its own article the "lie" was a misinterpretation of a Bloomberg story by Paul Bedard that was run in the Washington Examiner, & relied on by Romney.

It sounds like a case of failure to check your source's source more than an outright lie. It's certainly a stretch to call that the biggest lie of the year.

Watcha think, Romney killed a woman or hasn't paid income taxes for 10 years? Wonder if any of that appears anywhere on Politico's list?

As much as I cannot stand MR, I agree with you, Rob. Calling it a lie is a stretch. Regardless, it was a horrible and stupid mistake.

http://www.politifac...ey-Jeeps-China/

Lie of the Year: the Romney campaign's ad on Jeeps made in China

It was a lie told in the critical state of Ohio in the final days of a close campaign -- that Jeep was moving its U.S. production to China. It originated with a conservative blogger, who twisted an accurate news story into a falsehood. Then it picked up steam when the Drudge Report ran with it. Even though Jeep's parent company gave a quick and clear denial, Mitt Romney repeated it and his campaign turned it into a TV ad.

A lie in a political campaign? Go figure. If you are right, don't blame Romney, anyways. The candidates are no more in control of their own campaigns, than you or I are.