Think Seatle would consider trading Flynn?

jhemmer

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's not a legend. You're not giving up that much for him and hopefully he'd be brought in to compete against either another veteran free agent or a rookie.

Who says your not giving up that much for him? In your hypothetical BS scenario, your trading for Flynn for what? A pack of gum and a Pepsi? The Seahawks put a lot out there for Flynn. IF... And it's a HUGE IF... Anyone was interested in Flynn, they will pay a premium. Probably a 2nd or 3rd rounder. And regardless what anyone says, that much for a guy that's played in just one or a few games is a lot. It IS absolutely just like Rob Johnson on regards to the trade for a guy that's done NOTHING.

There's a huge number of amazing college QB's who fail in the NFL. So now you're suggesting a guy who in college had the job of not losing games and thinking that he can now become a star. I don't care how good a college team is, if your role in college is not to lose the game, that to me translates to extremely scary NFL prospect.

I meant how he played at LSU. He was Trent Dilfer for their title team and that's why he was a 7th round pick.His job was basically not to lose games for them and they had a very loaded offense.

Maybe we can send T Jax back to Seattle straight up for Flynn

Only Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey would be stupid enough to accept that trade for the Seahawks.

So instead, the Seahawks this week will try and trade us Tarvaris Jackson for a 4th rounder and Chan and Buddy will not even know he's on the team now and will accept the trade.

This!! A million times this!!

If he couldnt beat out a 3rd round rookie, after the team just invested in him, why would we trade for him instead of picking our own rookie?

Because we can't draft very well so us giving up a draft pick for someone that has a lot of time studying and preparing in the NFL, and has had some success on the field would put us ahead of the game.

Would you trade GIlmore for the chance at having a top-notch qb? I would. Brady and Manning have shown that you don't need much supporting cast to win games in the NFL if your QB is a stud.

Because we can't draft very well so us giving up a draft pick for someone that has a lot of time studying and preparing in the NFL, and has had some success on the field would put us ahead of the game.

Would you trade GIlmore for the chance at having a top-notch qb? I would. Brady and Manning have shown that you don't need much supporting cast to win games in the NFL if your QB is a stud.

We're still talking about Matt Flynn, right?

We're still talking about Matt Flynn, right?

apparently he's just as good as Payton Manning and Tom Brady. Must be as good as Aaron Rodgers and Brett Favre too since he put up better numbers in 1 game than either of them.

Yup. That Matt Flynn. He's clearly HOF material.

Edited by mrags

To the people complaining he lost to a third round rookie: Have you watched Wilson play at all? By all accounts it was a very closely fought battle. If Flynn is even close to as talented as Wilson, it'd be a huge upgrade over Fitz, in both talent and upside.

Though i would feel bad drafting a QB in the third and watching Flynn lose another competition...

For those who have seen Flynn play, they can attest to the fact that this guy is a physically underwhelming quarterback.

As said earlier in the thread, he's some combination of Matt Cassel and Fitz.

The one thing Flynn might have over the other two is better accuracy. They all have average at best arms.

There's a reason Flynn was drafted in the 7th round.

Who says your not giving up that much for him? In your hypothetical BS scenario, your trading for Flynn for what? A pack of gum and a Pepsi? The Seahawks put a lot out there for Flynn. IF... And it's a HUGE IF... Anyone was interested in Flynn, they will pay a premium. Probably a 2nd or 3rd rounder. And regardless what anyone says, that much for a guy that's played in just one or a few games is a lot. It IS absolutely just like Rob Johnson on regards to the trade for a guy that's done NOTHING.

What? Why would anyone have to pay a premium? Tim Tebow was traded with a 7th round pick for a 4th rounder and some cash in the offseason coming off a year in which he won a playoff game as the starting QB. Flynn's value isn't going to be that high. If Seattle wanted too much in return for him after he lost out to a rookie and is making $6 million, then you hang up the phone. Nobody said to get him at all cost because he is obviously the answer.

Edited by Pondslider

What? Why would anyone have to pay a premium? Tim Tebow was traded with a 7th round pick for a 4th rounder and some cash in the offseason coming off a year in which he won a playoff game as the starting QB. Flynn's value isn't going to be that high. If Seattle wanted too much in return for him after he lost out to a rookie and is making $6 million, then you hang up the phone. Nobody said to get him at all cost because he is obviously the answer.

Fair enough. So as in ALL of these types of threads, the issue that always exists and is rarely spoken to is what would be the right price for Flynn?

I don't actually want him at any price so I wouldn't trade for him.

But as for valuation, he was a 7th round pick, he's in his 5th NFL season and has never been a starter. Also he signed a 3-year, $19.5 million with $10 guaranteed.

I can't imagine him commanding anything more than a 4th rounder.

Fair enough. So as in ALL of these types of threads, the issue that always exists and is rarely spoken to is what would be the right price for Flynn?

I don't actually want him at any price so I wouldn't trade for him.

But as for valuation, he was a 7th round pick, he's in his 5th NFL season and has never been a starter. Also he signed a 3-year, $19.5 million with $10 guaranteed.

Agreed- you might get a bit more just cause he's a qb. Look at whitehurst who got a 3rd and bumping up 20 spots in the second.

I pass on pretty much anything though for Flynn. If I had to project I say his ceiling is fitz like, and his floor is a complete unknown.

Edited by NoSaint

Rob Johnson, Matt Schaub, and The no name in Arizona that came from Philly all say hello with thier multi million dollar contracts and high draft pick trades. And none if them did anything before the trades. They are all no different than Flynn and they all took premium draft picks.

Rob Johnson, Matt Schaub, and The no name in Arizona that came from Philly all say hello with thier multi million dollar contracts and high draft pick trades. And none if them did anything before the trades. They are all no different than Flynn and they all took premium draft picks.

I can't believe Flynn's stock is all that high at this point. He was a 7th round pick who signed a big contract and lost a preseason position battle to a rookie. Johnson, Schaub, and Kolb were all higher picks (4, 3, 2) and more highly regarded coming out of college. He's still basically unknown and his salary goes up the next two years of his contract. I'm sure Seattle doesn't want to pay him 6 and 8 million the next two years to be the backup. Unless they are able to convince teams that one game two years ago was worth it, I'd be surprised if Seattle is able to get a high pick for him at this point. If they ask for that you say no.

If Green Bay was trying to trade him after last year I might agree, but with his stock falling I don't think anyone will be willing to give up a high pick for him now.

Edited by Pondslider

He was a 7th round pick who signed a big contract and lost a preseason position battle to a rookie. Johnson, Schaub, and Kolb were all higher picks (4, 3, 2) and more highly regarded coming out of college. He's still basically unknown and his salary goes up the next two years of his contract. I'm sure Seattle doesn't want to pay him 6 and 8 million the next two years to be the backup. Unless they are able to convince teams that one game two years ago was worth it, I'd be surprised if Seattle is able to get a high pick for him at this point. If they ask for that you say no.

If Green Bay was trying to trade him after last year I might agree, but with his stock falling I don't think anyone will be willing to give up a high pick for him now.

Good point that his stock has fallen.

And there's actually an argument to be made that he has an untradeable contract.