Officially done with Schopp & The Bulldog

STC

So I’m not normally someone who prefers to spew negativity online or anywhere else, but this one is tough for me to ignore. Along with WGR’s other local shows, I’ve been a regular listener of Schopp and The Bulldog for many years, and I’ve even made the occasional call when I felt the need to make a point.

They were discussing the lockout the other day and I decided to call in with a take. I was put on hold for an hour and then gave up. I’m a decent multi-tasker so I was still able to do some work while holding. But it was still frustrating, especially given the fact they stayed on the topic I had called about for almost the entire time I was on hold. Had they completely switched gears, I would’ve given up much sooner. I couldn’t help myself so I sent an email to Schopp to vent a little. Here was my initial email:

Sitting on hold for over an hour (and being completed ignored) while trying to make a point on your show just reminded me of how stupid I feel that I was one of the fools who bothers to call in at all. I've called in many times in the past but today was definitely the last time. I'd be surprised if you care, but I had to vent my frustration about that. What a waste of time. It's too bad that you guys are the only sports radio option in town. I'm less of a fan now.

Here was his response:

Once a caller is on hold for more than 20 minutes I tend to think the person wants to be on the radio a little too desperately, is less likely to make an interesting point, is not anymore reacting to something we've said. Regulars hold on forever and are often boring, while the guy who just called in to react to something just said is usually more interesting to listen to. I don't know you so I'm not calling you anything. This kind of caller can backtrack us, or send us in another direction which can be bad. This is what tends to happen. We don't disconnect the caller because we want him there just in case. I don't blame you for being upset, and I don't know if this will even make sense to you, I'm just explaining the thought process.

Here was my last response:

I stayed on hold to make a point about the prospect of replacement players. You guys stayed on the lockout topic for a while so I foolishly figured I'd get a chance. It's nice to know that a listener who exhibits patience is considered desperate and boring.

So there you go. Now I must point out that I totally understand that these guys have a show to do and they need to keep it as interesting as possible so they don’t lose listeners. I get that. And I also appreciate that he took the time to respond to one listener. However, I was just fascinated to find out - from the co-host himself - that he finds patient callers to be desperate and/or boring. How many shows (local and national) have you heard where the host says something like ‘I know you guys have been holding a while, we’ll get to you’? Given the competition for audiences, shouldn’t there be at least SOME appreciation for someone who has enough interest to call in?

Don’t get me wrong – I understand the need to keep things lively and I do appreciate the honesty, but that response was enough for me to say I’m done with these guys. I’ve always liked Bulldog’s role as the ‘Buffalo Everyman’, but I usually just tolerated Schopp. He makes some good points from time to time, but his arrogance, his contempt for the audience and his snobby attitude about sports in general (football in particular) are at best annoying and at worst infuriating. He often comes off as a guy who feels he is above the whole sports fan landscape and seems to have a habit of belittling callers who aren’t the best at expressing themselves. I’ve heard him do it enough that I wonder if he enjoys it.

The truth is that the topics are what drive that show, not the hosts. Whenever they get on a meaningless topic just to have a few laughs, I always change the channel. If those guys were re-assigned to WBEN to do a local non-sports show, I have no doubt that their listenership would plummet. I much prefer guys like Sal Capaccio and John Murphy, who at least give the impression that they appreciate their audience. I don’t find Sal any less compelling than those guys. Murph definitely tows the party line for The Bills (which is understandable given his Sunday job), but I still think he puts on a good show.

I’m even a little embarrassed that I took the time to write this. Why do I care? I don’t know. Like many of you, I’m pretty passionate about The Bills and The Sabres. I just wish I had more than one local sports radio option.

I occasionally listen to Schopp and The Bulldog but it's never for them it's for the guests- I once offended Schoop by suggesting that a local sports caster should have a familiarity with the Bills and Sabres roster beyond a few offensive skill positions- Schoop might not be the most arrogant person in the world but he might be the most arrogant person per unit of accomplishment in the world.

I'm confused. If you stay on hold then they think that you would be boring or stupid. How do they decide who's call to pick up? Do they know what you are going to say before you say it? How do they know that they are better off leaving you on hold and instead letting somebody else talk? Are they psychic? Is there some part of this process that I don't understand? Sounds like doubletalk and BS to me.

I'm confused. If you stay on hold then they think that you would be boring or stupid. How do they decide who's call to pick up? Do they know what you are going to say before you say it? How do they know that they are better off leaving you on hold and instead letting somebody else talk? Are they psychic? Is there some part of this process that I don't understand? Sounds like doubletalk and BS to me.

Good point about being psychic. How do they know?

I've never called in so I don't know for sure, but don't they have screeners that would slip them a note saying for example "line 3, Bill from Buffalo, wants to discuss why rocky road ice cream beats cookies and cream". Then they can decide if and when to pick up. Or in your case, not at all.

I thought Schoop's response was well thought out, considers the best interest of the show not a single caller and goes out of its way to be polite but factual.

You guys are so damned sensitive. They are not required to take calls. I personally call in sometimes, but find most people who call in pretty boring myself.

Thanks, bbb. I appreciate it.

I thought Schoop's response was well thought out, considers the best interest of the show not a single caller and goes out of its way to be polite but factual.

You guys are so damned sensitive. They are not required to take calls. I personally call in sometimes, but find most people who call in pretty boring myself.

Totally valid. But I didn't appreciate the assumption about being desperate or boring. And you're right - they're not required to take calls. And I'm not required to listen, and I don't anymore. Listeners are technically customers in an indirect way.

Thanks, bbb. I appreciate it.

Totally valid. But I didn't appreciate the assumption about being desperate or boring. And you're right - they're not required to take calls. And I'm not required to listen, and I don't anymore. Listeners are technically customers in an indirect way.

And by the way. I respect the way you took the time to voice your opinion in a rather mature email to them.

I personally find their show VERY entertaining. I often find myself laughing out loud. Perhaps it would be a different show if we actually had a winning team in this city.

Dude you need a BJ and a glass of scotch.

Take it easy Bro life is too short to get worked up for those turd burglers and how long they put you on hold.

Just looking out man you're wound up really tight.

Nice. I knew this discussion had a bit too much class for a message board. Thanks for setting me straight.

i totally agree also.. very well done! :thumbsup:

i totally agree also.. very well done! :thumbsup:

Thanks, Dwight!

I used to listen because I thought any Bills news was better then no Bills news. I was wrong. I stopped listening last April and the quality of my afternoons has greatly appreciated, I'm not kidding either. I encourage others to tune out and see if the same isn't true for them.

I'm going to take you up on your recommendation.

I can only take Schopp in small doses. Usually, I stream the show for a short time while driving home from work (as I live out of town). Without fail, Schopp gives gives me road rage even if there's no traffic. Arrogant, condescending...even when he tries humor, it's tainted by cynicism or what feels like, "I am, therefore I am funny."

The e-mail has his fingerprints all over it. His prior BS offering -- that the reason he doesn't respond when callers say, "Hi guys, how are you doing?" is because he's afraid the show will lose listeners -- is just another example of his dimwitted perspective on listeners.

Here's an idea, Schopp: Stop being such an arrogant, condescending "sports elitist" to the few listeners you have left. Saying "hello" to them is the least of your worries.

Edited by Stormin Norman

I drive quite a bit for my job and call in maybe once a month to some show on XM. Wait times for most are generally 45-60 minutes, but my phone plays through the speakers so no different than just listening to the radio. The absolute worst is being on hold 50 minutes and then come up to a tunnel or be driving through some back road in the Blue Ridge and losing cell for 10 seconds.

Btw, I don't listen much but I like those guys

Nice. I knew this discussion had a bit too much class for a message board. Thanks for setting me straight.

Thanks, Dwight!

I'm going to take you up on your recommendation.

Class!?

Well atleast you have a healthy sense of humor.