December Movies: The Hobbit, Les Miserables, Django Unchained, & J

Mark Vader

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw This Is 40 yesterday afternoon and it was not nearly as funny as I thought it would be. It's almost as if Apatow didn't know if he wanted it to be a comedy or a drama. There were only 2 LOL moments in the entire movie and one of them was Melissa McCarthy improv-ing as the credits were rolling.

Daniel Day Lewis. Holy crap. What an actor.

Think of some of Hollywood's best known actors. Pitt. Damon. DiCaprio. They've played some very interesting roles, but do you ever forget that you're watching an actor playing a part? I could have SWORN that I was simply watching Abraham Lincoln do his thing.

We are not worthy.

No. I was never into any of those books. And also, the questions I've read constantly about how they're spreading this whole thing into three movies seem like a big issue to me too.

Probably already mentioned, but I don't care, I'll say it again...(possible spoiler alert?)

I am a fan of the books and I have seen the Hobbit. They way that they are getting 3 movies out of the book is that they aren't following it much at all. The two biggest 'factors' in the first movie, the Brown Wizzard and the one armed orc are figments of the screenwriter's imagination (the Brown Wizzard gets one line mention in the book). The company's time with Elrond was changed dramatically. In the book the troop stayed with him for a couple weeks and had a grand time, in the movie they slunk away in the middle of the first night of their stay. Totally different dynamic that I'm sure will be revisited in the upcoming movies. They are creating 3 movies by rewriting the book in a major way.

After the movie I went back and reread the book for the first time since HS/college. I was surprised at how 'thin' the book was in terms of the story line. I still enjoyed it, but not as much as I thought I would.

Still...the movie was enjoyable and I'll see the others.

Funny, I could not wait for each installment of LOTR, have zero desire to see this movie.

The movie was basically:

1.) Introduce Heroes

2.) Write heroes into a corner in a battle, have them magically saved by a wizard appearing on screen.

3.) Repeat step 3 over and over and over

Django was pretty darn good. A solid A--not as good as Inglorious Basterds, but still good. You know, if you're into that type of movie. And aren't easily offended by gratuitous language and blood.

• 2 weeks later...