Ashley Judd v. Mitch McConnell would be amazing

dayman

Just saying...as a political junkie which I think most of us are who regularly come here...this is would be a wildly entertaining campaign to watch. And I'm sure cable news organizations would love it to materialize to cover it in the most fantastically overblown way possible.

http://www.politico.com/story/2012/12/ashley-judd-exploring-senate-run-84542.html

This country is doomed. I bet you start seeing more and more Hollywood-types running for office -- and winning -- since elections are no longer about actual issues or qualifications.

Reagan was the president of the Screen Actors Guild for five years, and governor of California for eight years before he sought national office. At least he accomplished something besides being an on-screen persona. Ashley... not so much.

Reagan was the president of the Screen Actors Guild for five years, and governor of California for eight years before he sought national office. At least he accomplished something besides being an on-screen persona. Ashley... not so much.

I think you will agree that our founding fathers did not have in mind “professional” politicians for this representative democracy of ours. (see also Lincoln’s “of the people, by the people, for the people...”)

I don’t think it’s that big of a deal that celebrities run for office. There have been many examples already. I won’t make a case for Ashley Judd because I don’t know much about her. But if a famous person can catch a wave and get the votes, they get to go to DC. That’s the system working.

The issues belong to all of us. Just because some suit came up through the ranks and ingratiated himself sufficiently to his party’s grand poobahs... that no more qualifies a person to represent his state or district in Washington than any other concerned citizen. This idea that career politicians hold some expertise or privelaged status with regard to the laws of the land is nuts.

Edited by gringo starr

I think you will agree that our founding fathers did not have in mind “professional” politicians for this representative democracy of ours. (see also Lincoln’s “of the people, by the people, for the people...”)

I don’t think it’s that big of a deal that celebrities run for office. There have been many examples already. I won’t make a case for Ashley Judd because I don’t know much about her. But if a famous person can catch a wave and get the votes, they get to go to DC. That’s the system working.

The issues belong to all of us. Just because some suit came up through the ranks and ingratiated himself sufficiently to his party’s grand poobahs... that no more qualifies a person to represent his state or district in Washington than any other concerned citizen. This idea that career politicians hold some expertise or privelaged status with regard to the laws of the land is nuts.

Could hardly agree with you more wrt career politicians. There are far too many that look at "public service" as a cash cow with lots of perks and a cushy retirement to suit me. However, the national stage (should) require a firm grounding the the issues of the day and a grasp of more than fundraising and campaigning as a means to serve - and hopefully solve serious problems. We don't need more narcissistic power hungry neophyte politicians. We need serious people with a passion for problem solving - not just pandering to get them selves elected/reelected.

We're in a world of hurt right now. The poor and disadvantaged are having an increasingly hard time of making ends meet. Companies are likewise hard pressed to divine where their roadmap to future prosperity lies. We need thinkers and problem solvers, dreamers and pontificators.. not so much. JMHO.

You spelled "privileged" wrong.

Edited by 3rdnlng