50 yard field goal

Billy in 4C

Lindell nails it outdoors in the rain with ease. Last week Chan punts instead of attempting a 47 yarder in the dome. Similar game circumstances, similar defensive performances on the day.

It was a 51 yarder, but your point is valid and something I brought up in the chat room yesterday. The best explanation we could come up with was, "To confuse the opponent." ;)

The Jags game was a check list of all the things fans have requested from Chan Gailey:

1. Stop Punting from inside the 40

a. He went for it on 4th

b. He attempted a 50 yard FG

2. Give the ball to FJax and Spiller as much as possible

3. Oh and if #2 wasn't clear, stop making Fitzy throw it 30 times a game

4. If you're going to throw in the red zone, throw to the 6-7 Chandler

5. Where the hell is Marcus Easely and why isn't he on the field?

It was a 51 yarder, but your point is valid and something I brought up in the chat room yesterday. The best explanation we could come up with was, "To confuse the opponent." ;)

I think in part it had to do with lindell saying he could make them. I think it also shows he respected colts offense more on the road than jags at the Ralph, because missing gives the other team good starting field position. I'm OK with both decisions.

Lindell nails it outdoors in the rain with ease. Last week Chan punts instead of attempting a 47 yarder in the dome. Similar game circumstances, similar defensive performances on the day.

Has Chan offered an explanation??

It was a 50 yarder yesterday and a 51 yarder in Indy. Edited by Carey Bender

He also said that given the score (up 2 tds), you can try a long fg. Personally, I think if you don't trust your kicker to make a 50 yarder in indoors, it's time to find a new kicker.

In the previous game fitzy was sacked to bring us back to the 34. I think the he just assumed that because we were sacked it was too far and that **** would go against us and we would not make the FG. I mean how freaking ridiculous not to kick indoors but to kick in the freaking rain. Clearly Chan's head is not in the game.

Edited by jumbalaya

He also said that given the score (up 2 tds), you can try a long fg. Personally, I think if you don't trust your kicker to make a 50 yarder in indoors, it's time to find a new kicker.

That's exactly it.

People don't get it. Chan's philosophy is to not risk the bad field position by missing on a long FG. It has nothing to do with Lindell; even if we had a pro-bowl kicker, it seems like he wouldn't okay long FG's. He obviously was okay doing so yesterday because we were up by 2 TD's, so the risk was dramatically less.

I don't think you can criticize the guy for his philosophy; he has a defense that is giving up record yards, so he can't afford to give the opposing team great field position too.

That's exactly it.

People don't get it. Chan's philosophy is to not risk the bad field position by missing on a long FG. It has nothing to do with Lindell; even if we had a pro-bowl kicker, it seems like he wouldn't okay long FG's. He obviously was okay doing so yesterday because we were up by 2 TD's, so the risk was dramatically less.

I don't think you can criticize the guy for his philosophy; he has a defense that is giving up record yards, so he can't afford to give the opposing team great field position too.

Actually I would think the opposite. When you are down against the Colts and need points, be more aggressive and hit the 50 yarder. When you are up big, play more conservative.

Chan doesn't seem to get this. We've blown games we should've been more conservative and won (Titans 2012, Giants 2011 come to mind) by playing aggressive with deep INTs, and finished weak in games that were on the table.

The only think I can think of is that Buddy told him he needs to: (1) run the ball more; (2) stop acting like Fitz is Manning; and (3) let the most accurate kicker in Bills history attempt 50 yarders or he will be looking for a job next year.

:beer::thumbsup:

Hmmmm. The D wasn't giving up record yards against the Colts, were they?

I understand Chan's philosophy, AND I don't get it. It's one thing to eschew points (FG) when we're moving the ball readily and we're ahead. It's another to both eschew points AND give the other team another chance at the ball when we're behind, and struggling on offense. (and we're indoors windless and dry)

And frankly, if the other team is moving the ball and scoring on every possession, the more reason to score what and when we can.

I think Billy in 4 C kinda has it.

The only think I can think of is that Buddy told him he needs to: (1) run the ball more; (2) stop acting like Fitz is Manning; and (3) let the most accurate kicker in Bills history attempt 50 yarders or he will be looking for a job next year.

Gawd, I wish that was what went down. I had hopes after the Chiefs game but they've been dashed since.