We're a clutch defense away from winning the SB

EZC-Boston

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Every game that they failed (Jets, Steelers, Patriots) was a direct result of an inept offense with poor quarterback play.

Go look at the time of posession for each of those games. It's tough to expect a defense to stop a crucial drive when they have been out there the entire game because the offense didn't move the ball or kept turning it over.

Other than in the JAX game which was a fluke, BF is dead on about this one. It's one argument when, like in 2003, we are #2 in yardage but poor in sacks, turnovers etc. but this season we were #2 in yards, #1 in takeaways, #3 in sacks, etc. All teams have the opportunity to pad stats against certain opponents so that is a non factor when used in comparison.

I was dissapointed in the D in this last game but I could also see that they were tired from all the TOP Pitt had earlier on...

Other than in the JAX game which was a fluke, BF is dead on about this one. It's one argument when, like in 2003, we are #2 in yardage but poor in sacks, turnovers etc. but this season we were #2 in yards, #1 in takeaways, #3 in sacks, etc. All teams have the opportunity to pad stats against certain opponents so that is a non factor when used in comparison.

I was dissapointed in the D in this last game but I could also see that they were tired from all the TOP Pitt had earlier on...

192465[/snapback]

The Bills sustained 3 drives the entire game. The first touchdown drive, the drive before the half, and the drive that Lindell missed the field goal. Almost every drive other than that we were 3 and out.

When you can't rest it's tough to perform in the 4th quarter when you are drained physically and mentally.

192465[/snapback]

Not really. They finished with 11 more minutes of T.O.P. Which means to that point in the game it was pretty darn even. But carry on.

The Bills sustained 3 drives the entire game.  The first touchdown drive, the drive before the half, and the drive that Lindell missed the field goal.  Almost every drive other than that we were 3 and out.

When you can't rest it's tough to perform in the 4th quarter when you are drained physically and mentally.

192472[/snapback]

That's what I was saying wasn't I ? :lol: Or were you just validating :)

Not really.  They finished with 11 more minutes of T.O.P.  Which means to that point in the game it was pretty darn even.  But carry on.

192481[/snapback]

Ok well they ran more plays and were effective enough running the ball to get some wear on us , and our D had to leave the field and go back out there after Drew's pick and Nate's fumble as well.

Ok well they ran more plays and were effective enough running the ball to get some wear on us , and our D had to leave the field and go back out there after Drew's pick and Nate's fumble as well.

192507[/snapback]

Nothing more than excuses when you're a top 5 defense playing against 3rd stringers with your season on the line. UNACCEPTABLE.

That's what I was saying wasn't I ?  :lol:  Or were you just validating  :)

192498[/snapback]

But the defense has not been on the field an undue amount when the Steelers got the ball with 11:15 left in the fourth quarter. From then on, the Steelers time of possession v. Buffalo was about 10 minutes to 1, or a nine minute differential. Since the game differential was about 10 minutes total, it means that at the 11:15 mark, Pittsburgh had possessed the ball for about 25 minutes on offense, while the Bills had 24 minutes. Hardly an argument that the Bills defense collapsed at the 11:15 mark due to fatigue, or am I missing something...CD

Nothing more than excuses when you're a top 5 defense playing against 3rd stringers with your season on the line.  UNACCEPTABLE.

192513[/snapback]

What do you suggest? Scrap the entire defense next season and start over? Kick out the D-Coordinator who the players all love? That'll go over smoothly I'm sure :)

The team had a brain fart at the WORST possible time. It friggin sucks, but it happens. The defense pulled its weight a lot more then our offense did.

What do you suggest?  Scrap the entire defense next season and start over?  Kick out the D-Coordinator who the players all love?  That'll go over smoothly I'm sure :)

The team had a brain fart at the WORST possible time.  It friggin sucks, but it happens.  The defense pulled its weight a lot more then our offense did.

192520[/snapback]

No, his point was that the defense did not play that well either, and contributed to the team's defeat. This is in contrast to those who feel the D played great, and Bledsoe was to blame for everything...CD

Yeah, that's the inference I was making.  :lol:  :)

Teams win and teams lose.

192524[/snapback]

For the most part that is true, but in the games that I mentioned I guarantee y ou find a big gap in TOP.

The offense couldn't stay on the field in any of those games that I mentioned.

But the defense has not been on the field an undue amount when the Steelers got the ball with 11:15 left in the fourth quarter.  From then on, the Steelers time of possession v. Buffalo was about 10 minutes to 1, or a nine minute differential.  Since the game differential was about 10 minutes total, it means that at the 11:15 mark, Pittsburgh had possessed the ball for about 25 minutes on offense, while the Bills had 24 minutes.  Hardly an argument that the Bills defense collapsed at the 11:15 mark due to fatigue, or am I missing something...CD

192515[/snapback]

Well this I know... From my seat 19 rows up there were no less than 7 of our defenders with their hands on their hips during each huddle from the late 3rd quarter on. Maybe it was that the starting Pitt O-line just mauls people , I don't know. I suppose I shouldn't even have tried to use statistics when I and my friends could physically see the fatigue from my seat aye?

Yeah, that's the inference I was making.  :lol:  :)

Teams win and teams lose.

192524[/snapback]

And our team lost. Some people need to get over it. It was a complete team screw-up. But I was expecting more from my fellow Bills fans, I really was. We act like this is the first time we've ever been knocked down. This team took a huge step forward this season, how many times could you honestly say that in the last 6 years?

Our defense failed us every time we needed them to make a stand this year...They live off the stats and highlights that occur when nothing is on the line...

192407[/snapback]

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain: Our defense had little to do with the loss to the Steelers.

And people say I'm crazy.

Try to look past the Steelers game which was not our best defensive performance, but they kept us in the game.

We didn't have Vincent or Milloy for most of the season. Barring injuries, our defense will be even tougher next year.

We've been trying to fix our offense for years and nothing. Our defense is as good as it gets in the league. The problem is on offense, and thank God MM is an offensive coach. Hopefully they can fix the problem this offseason. They need a new QB to make that next step.

Every game that they failed (Jets, Steelers, Patriots) was a direct result of an inept offense with poor quarterback play.

Go look at the time of posession for each of those games.  It's tough to expect a defense to stop a crucial drive when they have been out there the entire game because the offense didn't move the ball or kept turning it over.

192455[/snapback]

SEVEN drives that were 3 and out on Sunday.

That just doesn't cut it.