The Men Who Built America

dayman

Why didn't any of these guys fight in the Civil War?

Answer...poor people went for them!

I admire Carnegie and Vanderbilt and Edison, great men, but they can't be used as a measure for ordinary people to be measured by, few people are that great.

And no, they did not do it themselves. Vanderbilt didn't build a steam engine, Carnegie didn't invent the Bessemer Steel process and well, edison was so great no argument there, he deserved whatever the world could give him.

Why the He'll would they? They were all from the North. Their homes were not under attack.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why didn't any of these guys fight in the Civil War?

Answer...poor people went for them!

Rockefeller wasn't rich during the Civil War. He ran his brother's business while his brother faught in the war

Vanderbilt was 71 when the war broke out

Carnegie was the Superintendent of the Railways during the war. His running of the railroads helped defeat the South

But thanks for playing.

Ya!!! Did the project go well??

it only killed 5 kids

Rockefeller wasn't rich during the Civil War. He ran his brother's business while his brother faught in the war

Carnegie was the Superintendent of the Railways during the war. His running of the railroads helped defeat the South

But thanks for playing.

Vanderbilt's "favorite" son died in the war btw...crushed him

Marconi actually had to move to Nova Scotia or Newfoundland because the big telegraph companies in the UK wouldn't allow it there.

Ya!!! Did the project go well??

Yeah... Kids in the other grades would pay a quarter to see each student's demo (good Catholic business model!)... Wave a Fl bulb around that faintly glows and the kids were lining up... We still got the thing in our basement... Pretty cool. It was safe, very low volts... Ran on battery but, he ended up using an AC adapter to power the coil... Worked better. Go figure! LoL You should see the crap/parts you can get on the internet! LoL... They have some pretty strong stuff!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

But thanks for playing.

And Vanderbilts even more wealthy son? And poor excuse for Rockefeller, who bought a substitute who went off to war in his place. Ya, I'll give you Carnegie

it only killed 5 kids

When hunting for parts... I went with "safe science fair grade." ;-)... The AC adapter I did it to NEC code... Nothing was really exposed... Even if you touched the coil... Can't really get hurt... Was so low... Also, for another quarter, he'd touch a metal rod and get some small sparks! LoL... Amazingly he pulled if off before the school knew what hit them!

Why the He'll would they? They were all from the North. Their homes were not under attack.

Like ww1 and two???

saw most of it Monday night--good stuff, even for liberals...

Boy, this is such a nice thread and the Conservatives have to use it to bash the good people, can't you angry guys leave politics out of anything?

And Vanderbilts even more wealthy son? And poor excuse for Rockefeller, who bought a substitute who went off to war in his place. Ya, I'll give you Carnegie

You're a pathetic excuse for a man. How did you learn to be such a loser?

Like ww1 and two???

I never understood why we got into WWI either.

With WWII there was the matter of Pearl Harbor.

Rockefeller had to help support his family as a child by selling candy

Carnegie came for a very modest family from Scotland

Vanderbilt Worked on his father's ferry as a child

Those damn rich guys had it all handed to them.

The libs with "but they did it on the backs of others" in 3...2...1...

There was a remarkable thread on PPP a while back that got into the no one can get rich on there own without help thing. I brought up Edison and his incredible inventions. The PPP liberals response? He needed investors to put the products into manufacture. So having a brilliant idea and having people invest in it is "help"?

Democrats like American business and history just as much as the next Republican people. Enough of this nonsense seriously. The average democrat hates business as much as the average republican hates minorities or helping the poor....not very much. How this topic has to turn into bashing is nonsense.

Edited by TheNewBills

There was a remarkable thread on PPP a while back that got into the no one can get rich on there own without help thing. I brought up Edison and his incredible inventions. The PPP liberals response? He needed investors to put the products into manufacture. So having a brilliant idea and having people invest in it is "help"?

You are gonna hang me... But to pull the racist card... Who do think revisionist America is going to embrace? An American or a Serb? Not knocking Edison, he was a brilliant leader of men and ideas!

Anyway... I just caught a bit where they said up until a few years ago there were still a few very, very small areas in NYC and Boston that was still on DC grid... ??? Is that possible?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

You're a pathetic excuse for a man. How did you learn to be such a loser?

I never understood why we got into WWI either.

With WWII there was the matter of Pearl Harbor.

Oh shut up, nothing more pathetic than a whining moron like you.

1 had to crush the South and save the Union, Fort Sumter was a lot closer than Pearl

2 the Germans were sinking our ships

3 missed the Vanderbilt sons death, my bad

Edison and Franklin are just super star humans. Franklin would probably be a liberal today, he was so into institution building and making society better, Edison put his energies into other very important areas. Love them both.

Democrats like American business and history just as much as the next Republican people. Enough of this nonsense seriously. The average democrat hates business as much as the average republican hates minorities or helping the poor....not very much. How this topic has to turn into bashing is nonsense.

Hey dude... Where do you fall? AC or DC?

Hint... What was Uncle Fester? AC or DC... LoL... Anybody recall that episode where he complains to Gomez he was one or the other?

You are gonna hang me... But to pull the racist card... Who do think revisionist America is going to embrace? An American or a Serb? Not knocking Edison, he was a brilliant leader of men and ideas!

Anyway... I just caught a bit where they said up until a few years ago there were still a few very, very small areas in NYC and Boston that was still on DC grid... ??? Is that possible?

I have no idea what you're getting at.

But thanks for playing.

it only killed 5 kids

Vanderbilt's "favorite" son died in the war btw...crushed him

Duck ruins another good thread. He IS the man.