Fitz's INT broken down from game film

jonramz

Here it is... in all its glorious detail

http://yardsperpass.com/?p=150

If Graham cuts it across the safety's face does he get to it? Perhaps... but he's gonna get hit. Also CJ not as open as it seemed on that picture floating around the internet. Best throw might have been to Stevie in the back corner of the endzone.

-Jon

Agree about Stevie in the back corner where only he could get it.

Next should have been to CJ

TJ should have been the 3rd option and regardless of wrong route or not, it should have been in the back of the end one where Graham was going.

It's really tough to throw when a team drops 8 in the redzone... Even if TJ cuts it across the safety's face... he's gonna take a big shot. At least Stevie would have a shot without getting killed

Edited by jonramz

id be curious to hear about the results the time they ran the play earlier in the game, and perhaps who ran the graham route.

this is one instance where we hear about how its tough to be a WR in chans offense and it mightve actually shown. i was surprised by stevies comments about graham having never run the route as we often hear about how every WR must learn EVERY position. youd think that would include running a skinny little post at some point.

One more thing I wanted to add... in case people don't read the whole thing. The Bills ran the same play earlier in the game (12:42 2nd quarter) from a different formation. But pretty much the same area of the field

Regarding the time they ran it earlier...

Donald Jones ran Graham's pattern... (the post) the play ended in a sack... but Fitz was looked to hit one of the out patterns (I think Chandler), against man coverage with both safeties back (Jones was covered well)

Edited by jonramz

Here it is... in all its glorious detail

http://yardsperpass.com/?p=150

If Graham cuts it across the safety's face does he get to it? Perhaps... but he's gonna get hit. Also CJ not as open as it seemed on that picture floating around the internet. Best throw might have been to Stevie in the back corner of the endzone.

-Jon

Just ran the play back several times and throwing to TJ, if he cut in front of McCourty, was an extremely tight throw that could have easily been broken up. The best two options were Stevie over the top along the left sideline and CJ underneath in the left flat.

Bad read by Fitz IMO.

One more thing I wanted to add... in case people don't read the whole thing. The Bills ran the same play earlier in the game (12:42 2nd quarter) from a different formation. But pretty much the same area of the field

i know i mentioned it in my previous post but a compare/contrast of the two attempts might be an interesting football read.

Edited by NoSaint

i know i mentioned it in my previous post but a compare/contrast of the two attempts might be an interesting football read.

I hope you saw my edit... I added more info about the previous play

Just ran the play back several times and throwing to TJ, if he cut in front of McCourty, was an extremely tight throw that could have easily been broken up. The best two options were Stevie over the top along the left sideline and CJ underneath in the left flat.

Bad read by Fitz IMO.

Honestly... I think everyone was pretty well covered that play... I don't know if there was a "correct" option. Because if Spiller gets stopped short of the 1st down, the Bills are screwed

I hope you saw my edit... I added more info about the previous play

Honestly... I think everyone was pretty well covered that play... I don't know if there was a "correct" option. Because if Spiller gets stopped short of the 1st down, the Bills are screwed

I'd take a chance on CJ when he's that much uncovered given his short area quickness, speed, and elusiveness. The Pats couldn't deal with CJ all game long. I think he at least gets a 1st down and maybe even scores. 1st and goal at worst. Spike the ball with three shots to win the game.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

If TJ cuts in and sits in the spot where the throw went, he's got a great shot. He would've gotten popped in the numbers like you said, but if he holds on, he's a hero. Looks kind of like the play that TO caught against the Packers in the playoff game for SF.

I'd take a chance on CJ when he's that much uncovered given his short area quickness, speed, and elusiveness. The couldn't deal with CJ all game long. I think he at least gets a 1st down and maybe even scores. 1st and goal at worst. Spike the ball with three shots to win the game.

Maybe, but CJ was essentially TRIPPLE covered on that play and there is a very good chance he gets tackled short of the stick - then you really have a problem.

I'd take a chance on CJ when he's that much uncovered given his short area quickness, speed, and elusiveness. The couldn't deal with CJ all game long. I think he at least gets a 1st down and maybe even scores. 1st and goal at worst. Spike the ball with three shots to win the game.

I see what you are saying and it is a fair point... I guess what I meant was that there was no totally missed read, and that there was no "he just totally screwed up by missing someone wide open" mess up. If he throws to CJ and he is stopped short, everyone is complaining that he threw a 2 yard pass in the middle of the field with 25 sec left and no timeouts.

Edited by jonramz

It's really tough to throw when a team drops 8 in the redzone... Even if TJ cuts it across the safety's face... he's gonna take a big shot. At least Stevie would have a shot without getting killed

Well, apparently Tennessee was able to get it done against us a few weeks ago. Good teams find a way to create mismatches (like the Bills secondary against any receiver) and for the Bills, that means getting it to Spiller, which is what should have happened. Gailey is a train wreck.

I see what you are saying and it is a fair point... I guess what I meant was that there was no totally missed read, and that there was no "he just totally screwed up by missing someone wide open" mess up. If he throws to CJ and he is stopped short, everyone is complaining that he threw a 2 yard pass in the middle of the field with 25 sec left and no timeouts.

Definitely conjecture on everyone's part, but I still give my best and most dynamic player a chance to make a play and live with the consequences.

Definitely conjecture on everyone's part, but I still give my best and most dynamic player a chance to make a play and live with the consequences.

fair enough... If anyone would have made a big play out of nothing it would be CJ

Great find. Everyone here has made great points. Even if TJ does run the route right, he is set up for a killshot unless the pass is perfect (insert laughter here) and even then it's close. SJ probably was the best choice but I have an issue with the play design. We needed 6 and with TJ pulling coverage to the middle I think Jones would have been open if the play called for him to run a flag or post corner.

Great find. Everyone here has made great points. Even if TJ does run the route right, he is set up for a killshot unless the pass is perfect (insert laughter here) and even then it's close. SJ probably was the best choice but I have an issue with the play design. We needed 6 and with TJ pulling coverage to the middle I think Jones would have been open if the play called for him to run a flag or post corner.

Stevie looked like a great option on that play too. But that's the infamous route that Fitz always seems to under throw (ala the Giants 2011 game when Corey Webster picked Fitz twice after being beaten by Stevie).