Fantasy Football: Dick move?

Buftex

Do you consider it bad etiquette to take a player off waivers, simply to hurt an oppenants chance of picking him up...and perhaps, enhancing your own playoff position? It was a tactic I used to use with some frequency in earllier FF days, but was accused of "fugging it up" for everyone else. This isn't a free leauge...we play for a pretty decent size financial prize. Just some thoughts from you FF players. I have heard both pro & con sides of this argument presented on various FF blogs and podscasts...to me, all should be fair...

Edited by Buftex

Not only is it ok, it's negligent of you if you have the opportunity and fail to do so. There's no such thing as a 'dick move' in fantasy football when it comes to roster management (assuming the point is to improve your chances of success) and the appropriate response to anyone who accuses you of that (especially in a money league) is "!@#$ YOU!"

Someone really presented a reasonable argument against doing that?? What is it, because I can't possibly fathom it.

Edited by KD in CT

Players that are on waivers are free for the taking, don't feel bad about it. Blocking someone from getting a player is all part of the game.

The only caveat is in a specific situation...in a league i used to be in, all players were FAs (one of those stupid "first one to the computer gets the marquee FA" leagues). When dropped, players didn't clear waivers for 2 days. We had 1 owner be a complete dick and spent 1 friday adding and dropping players all day long, so that virtually every FA worth a damn was locked on waivers and unavailable until after the games on sunday had started. He did this because his opponent had a late in the week injury to one of his players and needed a replacement. That's a dick move.

I went ahead with my "dick move"...I snatched up the Bengals defense (playing KC) so that my oppenant this week couldn't grab them. He has only one defense (Seahawks), and they are on a bye...he had to settle for the Eagles defense. In my nind, if you don't prepare for your bye-weeks at least a week ahead of time, all is fair!

I have the Texans Defense, and I am never going to start the Bengals over them. My oppenant and I have been tied, record wise, for weeks now...but he has an edge, cuz he beat me once already. I need to beat him this weekend. Of course, there is no gurantee that the Bengals Defense will be any better than the Eagles (vs Redskins), but I have to do my due dillegence...tapping my inner-Belichick!

Okay, so my "dick move" was a good one, in the sense that the defense my opponent picked up (Eagles) only got him 3 pts. The Bengals, who I snatched up and left on my bench, got 18 points....in the end, however, the Texans defense, whom I played, got me exactly 0 points, and I got my ass kicked this week...my guys all underperfomed...my opponents guys performed beyond expectations, for the most part...damn!

Do you consider it bad etiquette to take a player off waivers, simply to hurt an oppenants chance of picking him up...and perhaps, enhancing your own playoff position? It was a tactic I used to use with some frequency in earllier FF days, but was accused of "fugging it up" for everyone else. This isn't a free leauge...we play for a pretty decent size financial prize. Just some thoughts from you FF players. I have heard both pro & con sides of this argument presented on various FF blogs and podscasts...to me, all should be fair...

No I think it's ok. In fact I'm trying to do it today trying to pick up Hillman even thought I really don't need a rb. Despite your postings on the PPR board your are definitely right on this one. Best of luck.

No I think it's ok. In fact I'm trying to do it today trying to pick up Hillman even thought I really don't need a rb. Despite your postings on the PPR board your are definitely right on this one. Best of luck.

Tried to pick up Hillman as well..but didn't get him. In that case, though, I could use another running back...I currently have 6 receivers, and only 4 running backs, two of whom are pretty marginal. If one of my starters at RB (Chris Johnson, Frank Gore) goes down, I am pretty screwed.

As for the PPP board (I assume you meant PPP...we don't get points for receptions in my league!), I am trying to leave that world behind for a little while...and I apologize if I ever said something to piss you off over there...always amazed how I can see eye to eye with a lot of people on the other forums, but PPP just brings out the worst...particularly during presidential elections. You like Allen West, but you are a hockey fan...can't be all bad! :thumbsup:

like others have said, shame on you if you don't do this. You play to win, and with waivers, its a pretty balanced system. If you get the player, you earned them.

I have something like 24 moves in my league right now, and I would say the majority of them are picking up guys like Rashad Jennings, Andre Brown, Ramses Barden and Domenik Hixon, to name some from early this season. This past week, I picked up Jalen Parmele. He will sit with Beanie Wells on my bench, with no intent on playing him over Ray Rice or Alfred Morris ever. But its better he gets points on my bench than someone else's starting lineup. Final example, I have had Cecil Shorts sitting on my bench since about week 3 (my WRs are Colston, V. Jackson and Nicks) with this being the first week I have considered actually starting him as a flex.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I just posted my roster in another thread, but long story short, I have Ray Rice, and with news out that they will be using a lot of 2 back sets, and moving Ray to the slot, my buddy (who had D. Alexander go down with an ACL) picked up Pierce... I tipped my hat, and cussed under my breath... There are no dick moves in FFBALL

Edited by CountryCletus

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.