Here ya go Bledsoe apologists

No QB in the history of the NFL has ever been asked to win a game all by himself.  This kind of buzzword-based hyperbole means absolutely nothing.

191862[/snapback]

Bull. Brett Favre has routinely been asked through the course of his career to win games by taking the responsibility for making plays when the rest of the team isn't. Ditto John Elway. Ditto Jim Kelly. Dan Marino, Peyton Manning, Steve McNair...

My point (which you so conveniently seem to be avoiding) being that while virtually every QB is asked to take responsibility for winning a game at some time (or even often, as Elway and Favre seem to in their careers), the vast majority can't handle that responsibility. A great many successful QBs are successful precisely because they're not often in those kinds of situations (Troy Aikman and Tom Brady spring most immediately to mind). People consistently expect every QB to be as capable as a Favre or Elway...while forgetting that QBs like that are the exception rather than the rule. The fact of the matter is, Bledsoe is more like a Vinnie Testaverde: no more than a middle-of-the-road QB who owes his numbers to a few great seasons and a long career.

And Tom Brady's a pansy. Has nothing to do with my argument...just thought I'd throw it in there. :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: ;)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bull.  Brett Favre has routinely been asked through the course of his career to win games by taking the responsibility for making plays when the rest of the team isn't.  Ditto John Elway.  Ditto Jim Kelly.  Dan Marino, Peyton Manning, Steve McNair...

So has Brady. But again, that's not "winning by yourself." There are still ten other guys on the field who have to make plays in order for the team to succeed.

My point (which you so conveniently seem to be avoiding) being that while virtually every QB is asked to take responsibility for winning a game at some time (or even often, as Elway and Favre seem to in their careers), the vast majority can't handle that responsibility.

I agree. I'm just puzzled as to why you're omitting Brady, who has been asked to take responsibility for winning more big games in his short career than some players have in careers three times as long, and has come through EVERY TIME. I suspect it's out of jealousy because he's a division rival, but perhaps you could clarify. All I do know is that it cannot possibly be logic or reason that has led you to believe that Brady is somehow below Brett "Let-me-lob-it-up-for-grabs-in-OT-and-see-what-happens" Favre in terms of winning games of any kind.

And Tom Brady's a pansy.  Has nothing to do with my argument...just thought I'd throw it in there.   :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:  ;)

Is that suppoed to pass as humor? How...unsophisticated.

Which is just another way of saying that we can't rely on Bledsoe to win games...which is something we all knew to begin with. 

Thouugh really, how many QBs can you rely on to win when you put the game in their hands?  Offhand...Manning, Favre, maybe Culpepper.  McNair when he's healthy.  Maybe Trent Green and Marc Bulger, if you really want to stretch it you might include Carr or Leftwich.  Other than that...McNabb has a good history of choking when you ask him to do too much; just look at the way he caved in when he lost Owens and started trying to do everything.  Brees, Brady, and Rothlesberger are both where they are precisely because Tomlinson, Dillon, and Bettis were asked to win games, not them.  Who else?  Jake Plummer?  Brian Griese?  Chad Pennington?  The "QB that wins games" is the exception to the rule: most are relied on to not lose games, and most of THOSE typically lose games when they're asked to try to win them.

191476[/snapback]

By saying 'not losing games' do you mean not fumbling or throwing the ball into the hands of the defensive players? Or dirt balls?

Then I guess you can say that Drew loses games for us.

Which is just another way of saying that we can't rely on Bledsoe to win games...which is something we all knew to begin with. 

Thouugh really, how many QBs can you rely on to win when you put the game in their hands?  Offhand...Manning, Favre, maybe Culpepper.  McNair when he's healthy.  Maybe Trent Green and Marc Bulger, if you really want to stretch it you might include Carr or Leftwich.  Other than that...McNabb has a good history of choking when you ask him to do too much; just look at the way he caved in when he lost Owens and started trying to do everything.  Brees, Brady, and Rothlesberger are both where they are precisely because Tomlinson, Dillon, and Bettis were asked to win games, not them.  Who else?  Jake Plummer?  Brian Griese?  Chad Pennington?  The "QB that wins games" is the exception to the rule: most are relied on to not lose games, and most of THOSE typically lose games when they're asked to try to win them.

191476[/snapback]

I totally agree with where you are coming from Tom!

Brett Farve has routinely lost a lot of games and laid some stinkers out there. I think he gets a pass because he won the one SB and because he plays in the NFC North (Central)... "Norris"~Chris Berman

Culpepper is a lot like DB.

The one stat I find to be perplexing about DB is, in 1999 and 2000 he had 101 and 158 rushing yards respectively... That is almost double what he puts up annually!

Then in the first 2 games of 2001 (losses before the injury) he had 18 yards.

???

No QB in the history of the NFL has ever been asked to win a game all by himself.  This kind of buzzword-based hyperbole means absolutely nothing.

191862[/snapback]

actually, during the Flutie-Johnson bowl in San Diego, RJ practically won the game by himself...he accounted for what...85% of the offensive yardage, played like a maniac only to have special teams blow the game for him

The point is, Losman doesn't have to play very well to equal the accomplishments of Dredfull.

191590[/snapback]

That is not the point Mike. JP has not yet proven that he is as good as RJ on a bad day. You seem willing to simply hand over the reins to an unknown commodity.

I am trying, but I cannot come up with a scenario in which this makes sense. ;)

That is not the point Mike. JP has not yet proven that he is as good as RJ on a bad day. You seem willing to simply hand over the reins to an unknown commodity.

I am trying, but I cannot come up with a scenario in which this makes sense.  ;)

192102[/snapback]

The known commidity is Drew. And we all know he sucks. :doh: