Gruden to Philadelphia?

ALF

He has a job that he loves, it pays him well, and he is very good at it. He can see his family and probably has better blood pressure in the position he is at.

I love Gruden on MNF....best broadcast team in sports IMHO....but is it enough for Gruden to live vicariously through the players that he covers, or does he still have a thirst to be a coach again? He is still young, so I wouldn't discount a return to the sidelines.

Do star coaches who return to the NFL after being out for an extended period of time have the same degree of success? Or has the game passed them by such that they are not effective?

Look at Doug Collins last year with the Sixers. I believe he was coach of the year

Do star coaches who return to the NFL after being out for an extended period of time have the same degree of success? Or has the game passed them by such that they are not effective?

i dont think theres a definitive formula for picking a successful coach.

ultimately all these guys are really smart football minds and theres a bit of the stars aligning factor (finding a qb, right coordinators, etc....) that comes with it.

I love Gruden on MNF....best broadcast team in sports IMHO....but is it enough for Gruden to live vicariously through the players that he covers, or does he still have a thirst to be a coach again? He is still young, so I wouldn't discount a return to the sidelines.

holy crap, you're the only one who actually does.

no one I know here can stand his loud mouth, egotistical, attention whoring attitude. the guy is not that smart, the guy just talks to hear himself talk. he's worse then Dennis Miller by a mile.

no one I know here can stand his loud mouth, egotistical, attention whoring attitude. the guy is not that smart, the guy just talks to hear himself talk. he's worse then Dennis Miller by a mile.

Agreed, can't stomache him, and leering/sneering into the camera or at you sidekick, and talking like you are

John Wayne isn't going to change my perception of this tough guy want to be. His statements, like, and I am paraphrasing

here, that guy is the toughest this or that I have ever seen, loses some of it's impact when the next week, and the weeks after

you say the same thing about somebody else.

At least Miller admitted he doesn't know crap. Chucky and his big trap tries to prove otherwise weekly.

I was in the bay area for his time with the Raiders. he was hated, even by his own players.

Now he's attempting to become the next Madden. He sucks. His superbowl "win" was a fluke.

Some in the past called him the "quarterback killer" when he had the nads to still coach.

He has a job that he loves, it pays him well, and he is very good at it. He can see his family and probably has better blood pressure in the position he is at.

His bllod pressure may be down a bit but his waistline has increased substantially.....Blood pressure will be sure to follow...

Marty Schottenheimer was out and came back several times and had success each time.

He only had NFL one stint where he was out of football for an extended period of time . I believe it was 3 years between his Chiefs and Redskins gig . His Redskins stint was his worst performance with just a .500 record. Everything else was within a year of the previous job.

You know it dawned on me what I do not like about Gruden. He calls games and speaks like he is saying the next revelation to the art of football when all he is doing is stating that the QB is lined up in shotgun. His moments breaking down the game with players, especially coming in to the draft are laughable. The moment he asks them what was your read here I just cannot understand why.... my god. What was your read on this play? Seriously?! Gruden, if you're so smart you tell us what his reads should be instead of being that a-hole who replies only to correct you if he knows the answer or to tell you that you did it wrong when it is abundantly clear!

Gruden on the field in Phili would be wonderful, only after he went to NE, Miami, NYJ, or Dallas.

Disagree. Tirico is solid but Gruden is way cheesy. Not saying I wouldn't take him over Chan Gailey as a coach but as a color man, I think he's kind of ridiculous. The nicknames he comes up with for guys? I call this guy "the sheriff;" I call that guy "hit and run." Michaels and Collinsworth may in fact be the best team in any sport in my lifetime, with the possible exception of Bob Cole and Harry Neale.