A Much Needed Clarification.....

I will never apologize for having opinions about the Bills. I love this team, and I am, at all times, a very proud Bills fan. That said, my comments about Spiller, "carrying a team" obviously came off wrong. I am sorry for this.

The truth is, he is playing extremely well. More truth is that I didn't expect this, given the fact that great RBs usually don't take much time to develop. They are gifted. They can run, and the really great ones have instincts as well. Look at Yeldon at Alabama if you will. This kid, if he doesn't get hurt, looks like he will enter the NFL as a superstar. Spiller took some time, but that's ok at this point.

In any event, Spiller is playing beyond my expectations, and I praise him for this. Taking it a step further, he is blocking, and clutching the football with both arms (btw, so is McKelvin on returns). This is huge. I support him, and will not try to justify the "carry a team" comment, other than to state that a RB might not be able to do ths in our new league.

One last comment.....the title of my post is NOT, "Expert, Beyond Dispute Opinions." No, I sit with a pen and notebook, and try to catch special plays. I focus most on line play. Btw, the hardest thing to catch, for wehatever reason, is the play of the right guard.

I welcome disagreement, always have. Most of us here probably have WAY too much invested in this team. Place me high on that list. But I, along with you, am here to stay in terms of dreaming of things going right for our franchise. And often, emotion enters into my "thoughts," making them sometimes less clear.

But one more time, I really am sorry to have not been clear enough, and to have been mis-interpreted.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will never apologize for having opinions about the Bills. I love this team, and I am, at all times, a very proud Bills fan. That said, my comments about Spiller, "carrying a team" obviously came off wrong. I am sorry for this.

The truth is, he is playing extremely well. More truth is that I didn't expect this, given the fact that great RBs usually don't take much time to develop. They are gifted. They can run, and the really great ones have instincts as well. Look at Yeldon at Alabama if you will. This kid, if he doesn't get hurt, looks like he will enter the NFL as a superstar. Spiller took some time, but that's ok at this point.

In any event, Spiller is playing beyond my expectations, and I praise him for this. Taking it a step further, he is blocking, and clutching the football with both arms (btw, so is McKelvin on returns). This is huge. I support him, and will not try to justify the "carry a team" comment, other than to state that a RB might not be able to do ths in our new league.

One last comment.....the title of my post is NOT, "Expert, Beyond Dispute Opinions." No, I sit with a pen and notebook, and try to catch special plays. I focus most on line play. Btw, the hardest thing to catch, for wehatever reason, is the play of the right guard.

I welcome disagreement, always have. Most of us here probably have WAY too much invested in this team. Place me high on that list. But I, along with you, am here to stay in terms of dreaming of things going right for our franchise. And often, emotion enters into my "thoughts," making them sometimes less clear.

But one more time, I really am sorry to have not been clear enough, and to have been mis-interpreted.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I commend you for posting this, you just saved me for having to blast that comment in your other thread lol.

To be honest, Spiller showed this potential in his rookie preseason where he dominated and led the NFL in rushing during it despite his short hold out and missing the first preseason game. He got the start week 1 and was ineffective against Miami, but keep in mind Trent was QBing that team and they just stacked the box to stop Spiller in his debut game and dared the noodle arm to try and beat them. The rest of the year he was stuck behind Lynch (who they decided to showcase to trade) and FJ who was a much better blocker and top NFL back in himself already.

Spiller was never given a chance to show what he could do his rookie year, and not even last year until Freddie got hurt. Once Fred went down, Spiller was electric and ONLY limited by a HC who refuses to run even when its the only thing working. Much like this year, Spiller is again electric but limited by a coach who constantly throws with a pathetic QB and makes terrible play calling decisions week in and week out.

So, even though the stats say it took time for Spiller to breakout, I would argue that it was mainly because of a staff who does not utilize our run game enough and the fact that we had a very good RB already here and not because Spiller was a late bloomer.

Either way, he is here now and is in my honest opinion one of the 3 most talented RB's in this league right now, and one could argue he could be the best if Chan would ever just turn the kid freaking loose already.

Edited by Alphadawg7

I thought your comment was spot on. Spiller is great and one of the only bright spots this year, but if you use a RB too much he will break down. You can't build your season around a RB these days. I say these days because somebody will mention Barry Sanders or Walter Payton or OJ Simpson or some other RB from a long time ago. Of course, Gailey could surely* give him at least twice as many chances to carry the ball as he has been lately, but that is another story.

*don't call me Shirley!!

I thought your comment was spot on. Spiller is great and one of the only bright spots this year, but if you use a RB too much he will break down. You can't build your season around a RB these days. I say these days because somebody will mention Barry Sanders or Walter Payton or OJ Simpson or some other RB from a long time ago. Of course, Gailey could surely* give him at least twice as many chances to carry the ball as he has been lately, but that is another story.

*don't call me Shirley!!

Thanks. :thumbsup:

The rule changes handed receivers the middle of the field. DBs such as Atkinson, Tatum, Lott, and many other used to destroy receivers for going over the middle. Was Tatum even penalized when he paralyzed Stingley?

When Peyton Manning "carried" the colts to superbowls, those teams were, imo, mediocre. HE was great. A running back does not seem to be able to do this today. This was the point that I failed to articulate clearly.

And btw, I do not back down from my stance that drafting rbs and/of dbs in the top 10 is a good idea.

I don't want to get too picky here but I again have to disagree somewhat with your assessment of Spiller and your view of his belated development for a back. How can that be when in his second year when he got consistent playing time after Jackson got hurt his running average per carry was 5 yrd per carry. There is no doubt that in his rookie year he struggled. That shouldn't be surprising. Trent Richardson, a back for Cleveland, who you understandably gushed over is not setting the league on fire in his rookie year.

It took Spiller a season and a half to demonstrate that he is an exceptional back. His special talents could have been exhibited even sooner if he didh't have to share time and be subordinate to Jackson last year. My basic point is that Spiller has demonstrated at a very early stage in his career that he is an exceptional player, regardless of position. He was an early draft pick by the Nix regime because he was expected to be a playmaker. As you have surely witnessed that is exactly what he is. Buddy has made a number of questionable moves during his tenure. This is one move that he got right.

Edited by JohnC