Mario Williams Stat Update Through 9 Games

I've been harping on this all year.

Another game on artificial turf, another sack less game for Mario Williams. Coincidence? I think not. I've been advocating the Bills switch to grass, like the Cleveland Browns since I found this stat. You want to give your $100 million dollar investment every opportunity to flourish.

Here are his numbers for the season:

• 4 games on grass, 4.5 sacks, 1.125 sacks per game
  • 5 games on turf, 0.0 sacks, 0.000 sacks per game

Here are the numbers for his career:

• 68 games on grass, 52.0 sacks, .765 sacks per game
  • 20 games on turf, 6.0 sacks, .300 sacks per game

With 7 games left to play, Mario only has one game left on the schedule on grass, at Miami.

Edited by BiggieScooby

Another game on grass, another Mario Williams sack. Coincidence? I think not. I've been advocating the Bills switch to grass, like the Cleveland Browns since I found this stat. You want to give your $100 million dollar investment every opportunity to flourish.

4 games on grass, 4.5 sacks, 1.125 sacks per game

4 games on turf, 0.0 sacks, 0.000 sacks per game

68 games on grass, 52.0 sacks, .765 sacks per game

19 games on turf, 6.0 sacks, .316 sacks per game

With 8 games left to play, Mario only has one game left on the schedule on grass, at Miami.

Will be interesting to see how his numbers finish in the final 8 games.

ill throw it out again - do you think there is some correlation for his previous years with it being home vs road, more than grass vs turf?

being a power and not speed guy, id imagine a slower game doesnt hurt him, but id guess crowd noise, or playing with a lead is much more important when you do next level analysis.

Another game on grass, another Mario Williams sack. Coincidence? I think not. I've been advocating the Bills switch to grass, like the Cleveland Browns since I found this stat. You want to give your $100 million dollar investment every opportunity to flourish.

4 games on grass, 4.5 sacks, 1.125 sacks per game

4 games on turf, 0.0 sacks, 0.000 sacks per game

68 games on grass, 52.0 sacks, .765 sacks per game

19 games on turf, 6.0 sacks, .316 sacks per game

With 8 games left to play, Mario only has one game left on the schedule on grass, at Miami.

Will be interesting to see how his numbers finish in the final 8 games.

He's had 2 double digit sack seasons in his entire career--the last one was 4 years ago.

But yeah, lets dig up the turf for Mario's stats.

a happy little note from espn when i was looking at his stats from yesterday:

Said Williams: "After I had the procedure a week and half or so ago, I believe in it healing now instead of being stagnant. I worked out this week finally which hasn't been over two months. I feel really good and it boost my morale."

hopefully a poor transcription, but the general idea is good to hear.

He's had 2 double digit sack seasons in his entire career--the last one was 4 years ago.

But yeah, lets dig up the turf for Mario's stats.

You can throw out his rookie year when he was 21 years old as everyone's rookie year is usually an anomaly. Even the great Bruce Smith put up a low 6.5 sacks as a 22 year old rookie.

Mario has put up 14 (16 games), 12 (16 games), 9 (16 games), 9 (13 games), 5 (in 5 games), & 4.5 (in 8 games so far).

Mario is only 27 and will have plenty of productive seasons and likely eclipse 100 career sacks putting him in elite company.

I've seen you post this a few times and, at some point, Mario will 'bust' the trend or confirm it. It certainly isn't a small sample and I think you can argue reasonably that he has been 'better' on grass. It's also an 'original' thought to discuss here. One thought is that Mario has more success on grass (where offensive footing is less reliable) because he is a bull rusher. Keep harping.

Edited by BillsFanM.D.

You can throw out his rookie year when he was 21 years old as everyone's rookie year is usually an anomaly. Even the great Bruce Smith put up a low 6.5 sacks as a 22 year old rookie.

Mario has put up 14 (16 games), 12 (16 games), 9 (16 games), 9 (13 games), 5 (in 5 games), & 4.5 (in 8 games so far).

Mario is only 27 and will have plenty of productive seasons and likely eclipse 100 career sacks putting him in elite company.

There are 30 guys who have/had at least 100 sacks. The top ten are elite. He'll need at least 8 a year for the next 5 years to break into that discussion. And If you are correct about your grass theory, he'll never break a hundred playing for the Bills anyway.

There are 30 guys who have/had at least 100 sacks. The top ten are elite. He'll need at least 8 a year for the next 5 years to break into that discussion. And If you are correct about your grass theory, he'll never break a hundred playing for the Bills anyway.

That's why we need to put grass in the Ralph!

That's why we need to put grass in the Ralph!

all football should be played on grass. and an opened stadium with actual weather being a factor.

Like why did they close the Houston roof ? is that advantage to Schaub ? is it psycho logical because the bills home field is open topped as god intended a stadium to be.

Keep it natural, dude

Edited by 3rdand12