What, when I co-sign a loan, I have to pay it back?!?

Fezmid

Mother co-signs a loan. Son dies. Mother doesn't want to pay loan back.

From the email I received:

"I think it's wrong for the bank to harass me for the loan of my dead son, so I started a petition on Change.org demanding that American Education Services forgive the debt and let my family grieve."

And from the site itself:

"Nobody told me when i cosigned the loan that I would be forced to pay them back even if my son died. Jermaine never had an opportunity to use his education and I can't use it either."

http://www.change.org/petitions/national-collegiate-trust-american-education-services-forgive-my-deceased-son-s-student-loan?alert_id=iUzBTzYfuo_uywkDbItDA&utm_campaign=12794&utm_medium=email&utm_source=action_alert

Why should the lender be on the hook for the cost of the education? They certainly can't use it either. I'm sorry she lost her son, but he was irresponsible in not insuring his debt with a life insurance policy. That was his responsibility to make sure his family wasn't emburdened, not the banks.

Don't they usually offer insurance in case of disability or death?

There a lot of things offered that people are too dumd to understand why they need them. You co-sign a loan you damn well better insure the person you co-signed for.

Edited by Chef Jim

Why should the lender be on the hook for the cost of the education? They certainly can't use it either. I'm sorry she lost her son, but he was irresponsible in not insuring his debt with a life insurance policy. That was his responsibility to make sure his family wasn't emburdened, not the banks.

It's true. But there is a predatory aspect to much student loan activity ... this private loan... I don't know anything about it but I doubt it had the best terms and it was piling on after 2 other federal loans for music production co-signed by apparently an old lady that can't pay? Old lady is guilty for stupidity but you feel sorry for her loss and having wanted what she thought was good for her son (that doesn't mean she "deserves" anything necessarily). Bank? Nobody should feel sorry for the bank under any circumstances if they don't get their cash back.

It's true. But there is a predatory aspect to much student loan activity ... this private loan... I don't know anything about it but I doubt it had the best terms and it was piling on after 2 other federal loans for music production co-signed by apparently an old lady that can't pay? Old lady is guilty for stupidity but you feel sorry for her loss and having wanted what she thought was good for her son (that doesn't mean she "deserves" anything necessarily). Bank? Nobody should feel sorry for the bank under any circumstances if they don't get their cash back.

Assume much?

Assume much?

Of course. That said, from the info in her sob letter my heart does not weep for the lender under these circumstances....3rd loan, private loan (so obviously the fed wouldn't put up another for some reason), music production, dead.

1) 61 is not old. It's not even retirement age.

2) The fact that she chose to retire early, comprising her social security benefit is no ones fault but her own. So is the fact that she apparently didn't have any other qualified or unqualified assets. It's just the most recent of a long string of poor financial decisions she's made and is now attempting to dump onto the lender she contractually obligated herself to.

3) The loan was not predatory. Her and her son went out in search of the loan, not the other way around. He didn't need to take it out, and she didn't need to cosign.

4) Despite your fiat declarations in opposition, the bank absolutely needs to be made whole. If not, what is their incentive to loan?

Bottom line:

Don't borrow money you can't pay back.

1) 61 is not old. It's not even retirement age.

2) The fact that she chose to retire early, comprising her social security benefit is no ones fault but her own. So is the fact that she apparently didn't have any other qualified or unqualified assets. It's just the most recent of a long string of poor financial decisions she's made and is now attempting to dump onto the lender she contractually obligated herself to.

3) The loan was not predatory. Her and her son went out in search of the loan, not the other way around. He didn't need to take it out, and she didn't need to cosign.

4) Despite your fiat declarations in opposition, the bank absolutely needs to be made whole. If not, what is their incentive to loan?

Bottom line:

Don't borrow money you can't pay back.

I'm not arguing there is anything wrong with what you have just laid out. I'm simply saying, my heart does not weep for the lender here. Every time the don't borrow money you can't pay back comes out, there's the flip side to that...

I'm not arguing there is anything wrong with what you have just laid out. I'm simply saying, my heart does not weep for the lender here. Every time the don't borrow money you can't pay back comes out, there's the flip side to that...

What's the incentive for banks to lend if there is no absolute expectation of repayment. The woman should have insured her son, and her son should have insured himself. This whole situation is completely their fault. I am sympathetic for her loss, but not one bit for her ensuing hardship.

What's the incentive for banks to lend if there is no absolute expectation of repayment. The woman should have insured her son, and her son should have insured himself. This whole situation is completely their fault. I am sympathetic for her loss, but not one bit for her ensuing hardship.

There is never an absolute expectation of repayment. If they wanted, terms of the loan could be conditioned upon proof of insurance, it wasn't. What is the incentive to not make every loan on earth if there is no worry about if the people can pay? Once again, all I'm saying is my heart does not weep given these facts for the lender.